Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Henjak gutted by Wallabies snub

vCash

Henjak gutted by Wallabies snub

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

Henjak gutted by Wallabies snub
    By James Dampney
    May 07, 2007

A BITTERLY disappointed Matt Henjak conceded his World Cup dream was all but over after being overlooked for the Australia train-on squad announced today.

Wallabies coach John Connolly named a squad of no fewer than 59 players, but Henjak's name was not among them, despite the halfback's Super 14 coach declaring last week selectors would be "stupid'' not to include him.

Once rated the likely successor to George Gregan, Henjak wasn't ranked in the top six halfbacks in the country, with the Brumbies' Gregan, Force teammate Matt Giteau, Queensland's Sam Cordingley and Waratahs trio Josh Valentine, Brett Sheehan and Josh Holmes all rated ahead of him by Connolly and selectors Scott Johnson and Michael O'Connor.

"It's definitely disappointing not being in the mix in a World Cup year,'' Henjak said.

"I think there's going to have to be a drastic change if I'm going to get selected in a World Cup squad.

"That's obviously disappointing, but you never say never.''

Western Force and former All Blacks mentor John Mitchell said last week his halfback had enjoyed an "outstanding season''.

Queensland Reds stalwart David Croft, Force's Tai McIsaac and Scott Fava, plus Brumbies centre Gene Fairbanks were also notable omissions from a squad which will be trimmed to 40 for a training camp in Sydney from May 15-17.

A final squad of 30 for the two Tests against Wales, a one-off Test against Fiji and the Tri Nations series will be announced on May 20.

Connolly was reluctant to discuss the reasons behind Henjak's absence, saying only he had put in a "solid performance'' with Force this season, the coach preferring to focus on the players who were picked ahead of him.

"I suppose we're looking at Giteau in two positions,'' Connolly said.

"We're looking at Gregan still, we have Cordingley in so we can assess where he's at, we rank Holmes very highly as a young player on the way up, so there are quite a few in there at the moment.''

McIsaac played eight Tests at hooker last year but was rated below Adam Freier, Jeremy Paul, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Stephen Moore.

Croft also missed out, with Connolly opting for Julian Salvi from the Brumbies and Western Force young gun David Pocock.

"I suppose Tai did a good job last year but you can only have so many,'' Connolly said.

"We deemed Freier, Moore, Paul and Tatafu were the four hookers for this squad. In terms of Croft, we've got (George) Smith and (Phil) Waugh and thought Pocock's form was outstanding this year, as was Salvi.''

Both Connolly and Henjak said there was a slim prospect players outside the squad could still make it to the World Cup, but it is highly unlikely.

Henjak hasn't heard from selectors or received any feedback on the reasons behind his omission.

"I was definitely hopeful I would've made the squad,'' he said.

"But obviously selectors have seen something in my game or haven't seen enough in my game to warrant selection.

"I've just got to work on the things I suppose I've got to work on and hopefully be in the mix later down the track.''

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You gotta feel for him. It has to be the "glass throwing" incident keeping him out, which is a pretty lame reason.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would suggest that Mitch should refrain from ever making any comment regarding who Knuckles should pick again.
    The only logic to make of all of this is that it is a continuation of the ego battle from the pre-season.
    "You didn't try Gits at #9 so now I'm not going to pick your #9..."
    Knuckles' ommission of Hennas is a mistake, his dismissal of him is a disgrace.
    As for: "I suppose Tai did a good job last year but you can only have so many,'' Connolly said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I though he did great this season but then again Im not a wallabies selector so I dont know what to look for...

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    GRRRRRRR THERE JUST PIGS. he is in the top 5 and im not a selector and i dont know as much about rugby as them but he is in the top 5 halfbacks in aus.

its pick the walibies not pick ur drinking mates

Last edited by jazza93; 07-05-07 at 16:46. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I would suggest that Mitch should refrain from ever making any comment regarding who Knuckles should pick again.
    The only logic to make of all of this is that it is a continuation of the ego battle from the pre-season.
    As for: "I suppose Tai did a good job last year but you can only have so many,'' Connolly said.
    Oooh good memory. I'd have to agree, looks like the ARU pissing contest is still going.

vCash
    Yak has every reason to be gutted, he deserves the Wallabies number #20 jersey without a doubt. He is one of the best defensive #9's in the Super 14, his service has been great and his communication on the paddock is fantastic.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Well, i have to say it, i thought connelly was a breath of fresh air when he was appointed at the beginning, but now he is as fresh as a stale fart...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    You gotta feel for him. It has to be the "glass throwing" incident keeping him out, which is a pretty lame reason.
    I can see Gregan, Cordingly and Giteau being rated higher as the preferred halves and "emergency" for the Wallabies. But I can't accept that he can't be found a spot in the "A" mix.

Surely the national selectors must be better than holding such a minor incident against him. BUT it's hard to come up with a more plausible reason, given his great form this year and the team's poor form without him.

We're in the professional era now so I think the coach should be called to explain such a baffling omission. It's all us "punters" who pay the bills after all.

Edit:
    I suppose the "pissing contest" is at least more plausible if even if it's a much more savage indictment of the selection process.

vCash
    I feel for both Yak and .McIsaac ..As for Taipan not having the skills to warrent a look, checkout the "precision plays" for round 12 at

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super14/video

(scroll the selection box on the left down to precision plays and select Tai's video)

I deny any other hooker out there at the moment to display the same control.

vCash
    I don't blame him being gutted. Like what Shasta said above, the Force's form without Henjak starting surely had to point that that Henjak is a pivotal player hence deserves higher honours.
    I think he deserves an explanation and I hope he gets one from someone soon.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I "wonder" if it is a coincidence that Yak is the new "Featured Player" on the Force site...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yak your the man with out doubt, but then let the selectors stick with the ones that will be gone after this World cup. All you Wallaby selectors keep the Golden Oldies going that way they will be able to go direct to the Oldies World Comp, over in Scotland afterwards.Save on air fares eh?.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Burgs, for the love of me i cannot find a plausible explanation on Henjaks ommission till i read your post. It makes sense of the inexcusable! Im completely gob smacked, along with all the others, Force people or not..

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Well, the other question is one of profile. You'd assume the selectors and coaches would watch the bulk of the S14 games, but the derbies are always the ones touted as indicators for Wallabies selection. Henjak missed two out of three.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast