Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Henjak gutted by Wallabies snub

vCash
    i cant beleive Tai want in the squad.

they have named 4 hookers i think

1. paul
    2. freier ( i would rank tai in 2 at least)
    3. Moore
    4. Tawake

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    I think Gregan was a standout this year Henjak was next on form, Vallentine has good service but has the odd brain explosion and is injury prone.Cordingly as a choice after 1 game is a joke. Did they see the service from Gits at half prior and during the super14 ? he's a fantastic player at inside centre where he's most destructive and creative, he couldn't have been a serious consideration at halfback for the Wallabies
    I had little confidence in those running the code at a national level prior to this , but this crock of .... defies reason . We'll see a disjointed tilt at the World Cup this time around.
    They'll say he's too old by the time next one comes around be replaced by some 18yr old wizz kid from Nudgee or such who they'll find can't compete at premier grade level , let alone S14 or National level.
    Maybe the impending change of coach at the National level may give Matt H some hope.

vCash
    It's official, then. The selectors are stupid.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    If even I can say that Henjak deserves another shot, then yeah, the selectors are blind/stupid/retarded.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by Sagerian; 08-05-07 at 07:49.

vCash
    Just checked out the pic in your last post, Sage and it got me thinking if this is why they're keeping Henjak out, then why the heck is Tuquiri in there! The poor guy, i feel for him, i really do.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Six halfbacks but no Henjak

By Peter Jenkins
    May 08, 2007

SHOCKED Western Force coach John Mitchell last night wanted to know why Australia selectors have scuttled halfback Mat Henjak's World Cup dreams.

A massive squad of 59 players to train-on in the countdown to the two-Test series against Wales starting later this month had included Matt Giteau.

But Henjak, 25, and with four Tests in his resume, missed out behind Giteau, George Gregan, Sam Cordingley and three New South Wales halfbacks in Josh Valentine, Brett Sheehan and Josh Holmes.

Other notable omissions were NSW goalkicker Peter Hewat; Force hooker Tai McIsaac, who made eight Test appearances last year; Brumbies centre and Wallabies tourist Gene Fairbanks; veteran Queensland flanker David Croft; the Reds' cross-code convert Clinton Schifcofske; and Force's Wallabies No.8 Scott Fava.

Hewat was shattered by his continued lack of recognition at Wallabies level.

NSW coach Ewen McKenzie was surprised Hewat's utility value and pointscoring reliability failed to win him a place. But Mitchell was even more outspoken as he questioned Henjak's omission.

"It must be confusing for the young man," said the former New Zealand All Blacks coach. "All his outputs have stacked up. His accuracy in the tackle, his catch-pass, taking the ball into contact and his defence organisation are all above the benchmarks we set for him this season.

"He performed consistently well throughout Super 14.

"So how he's not in the top three halfbacks in the country, I'm kind of confused."

Henjak has struggled to regain a foothold at national level since he was sent home from South Africa over a late-night incident in a Cape Town bar during a Wallabies tour in 1995.

"Surely they're still not holding that against him," Mitchell added. "He's matured a lot as a person and he's got to know why he's not in the frame so the boy can move forward.

"I wouldn't be sticking my neck out if I didn't think he was capable of playing Test rugby for his country.

"(Some of the other halfbacks chosen) haven't exactly been consistent and some of them haven't put any runs on the board."

Wallabies coach John Connolly denied Henjak's ejection from the South African tour, when Eddie Jones was in charge, had any part to play in his latest disappointment.

"It's got nothing to do with it," said Connolly. "We've picked purely on form and the opinions of selectors."

NSW had 19 players chosen, ahead of 17 from the Brumbies, 14 from the Force and nine Reds.

The new faces include four teenagers - NSW fullback Lachlan Turner, NSW five-eighth Kurtley Beale, Queensland utility back Quade Cooper and Force flanker David Pocock.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    If it was picked purely on form, Henjak would definately be top three, without a doubt connolly, you knobhead...You have a hidden agenda, as simple as that...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Henjak has struggled to regain a foothold at national level since he was sent home from South Africa over a late-night incident in a Cape Town bar during a Wallabies tour in 1995.
    I know it wasn't 1995, was it 2005 or earlier??

Certianly feel for Matt and as it has been pointed out it may take a new coach to see the light, Connelly seems to have his blinkers on.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    and the opinions of selectors
    selectors are like arseholes......?
    selectors are areseholes......?

I remember now -
    Opinions are like arseholes - everybody's got one!

(although the first 2 probably still apply....)

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    2005 I believe TIF, should have edited it sorry

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    so for 2 seaons the yak has been snubed of his wallaby caps because of ONE incident... how many has Lote had?? and he is still there!! We gathered Knuckles doesnt like him but he is the coach of the national team not Knuckles's team of people he likes.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Cordingley did show some great form all year from the sidelines.

It's an absolute joke. Someone needs to tap them on the shoulder and tell them this is a World Cup year and that the future is September. Why the hell is Josh Holmes picked ahead of Henjak? Perhaps this guy will get to play for Australia A this year. But I really believe that in a World Cup year that the Wallabies and Australia A should be filled with the best available players regardless of age or looking to the future. If it wasn't a World Cup year it wouldn't be such a big deal and yeah they should pick some younger guys to give them a go. But the only goal this year should be winning the World Cup. If all of them dropped dead and it was only Josh Holmes left they'd probably call Henjak to play ahead of him, so why not select him and keep him match fit to begin with.

It's equally appaling that Hewatt has been left out. So he missed a few kicks during the year. I thought that fullback was one of the positions that the Wallabies are weak at, he's one of the best we have and he's left out????

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A whole new topic gustafsl, but I think Hewat would have been left out due to his defence.
    With Giteau, Mortlock, Gerrard, Shepherd etc the kicking is a minor concern.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    "(Some of the other halfbacks chosen) haven't exactly been consistent and some of them haven't put any runs on the board."
    Here is your problem. Your coach thinks he is coaching cricket!

vCash
    Good one Jango!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast