Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Losing Faith in Connolly

vCash

Angry Losing Faith in Connolly

Last Update: Sunday, May 6, 2007. 8:00pm AEST

Connolly positive despite Super 14 woes

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200705/s1915597.htm

Wallabies coach John Connolly tried to put a positive slant on Australia's disappointing Super 14 campaign on Sunday.

No Australian team reached the semi-finals of the southern hemisphere competition, with the fifth-placed Brumbies the most successful side. The Western Force finished seventh, the Waratahs 13th and the Reds bottom of the standings.

"NSW have played pretty well at times, though they haven't got across the line, but a number of games they haven't been far away," Connolly said.

"The Brumbies dropped two games at the start of the year by a point or two and should have been in the semis."

Connolly is optimistic about his team's prospects for the international season, with the World Cup only four months away.

"I'm confident that when we get our best side together, we will be very competitive," he said.

The Wallabies' lengthy injury list is also shortening.

"(Sam) Cordingley will be named in one of the squads, he will play a full 80 minutes next week," he said. "(Daniel) Vickerman will return on the weekend of the ninth to play part of a club game and both will be considered for selection."

Fullback Chris Latham missed the entire Super 14 season but is hoping to return to action before the end of the Tri-Nations.

Australia are due to name a training squad of up to 60 players on Monday

Connolly is really starting to show his Bias now.....

1. How can you name a player (Cordingley) when he hasn't played a game yet this year!?!?!

2. Brumbies dropped two games by a couple of points and "SHOULD" have been in the finals - didn't the force also loose two games by only a point!

3. That squad of 59 as mentioned in other posts rewards the 13th placed team with the most squad members!???!?!?!?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You have got to wonder if Conolly wants Mckenzies job after the RWC - I don't want the Wallaby coach to interfere with what Sir John is doing but I do want him to develop what we have and a 3 day training camp ain't going to do it

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    His selections and actions warrant attention as they are seemingly more and more based on politics, not performance...
    If Robbie deans was in the hot seat you could bet that politics wouldn't get a look in, perform or your out...
    And in regards to your second point mambo, we also had a draw we could have won(or lost), we almost beat the Brumbies, the only blemishes really were the two NZ games, and perhaps the Blues match...
    Still, 14 players in from the Force is still pretty good...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I like how connelly hardly ever mentions the force ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo No. 5
    2. Brumbies dropped two games by a couple of points and "SHOULD" have been in the finals - didn't the force also lose two games by only a point!

3. That squad of 59 as mentioned in other posts rewards the 13th placed team with the most squad members!???!?!?!?!
    Should I go here... Will I get flamed? Probably...

The Tahs also lost close games and if we'd done our best could have finished 7th or 6th (not great but a tad more respectable than 13th hehe).

The majority of the players (from all teams) I believe have performed well enough to earn selection in the training squad (I bolded the ones I believe deserved it here), including several of the Waratahs, you can't always blame the players when they're faffing around without an attack plan.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    A few interesting choices - based on having performed well in the past (Vickermann but not Wallace-Harrison), just this tournament (Huxley but not Mitchell) or possession of unknown potential (Turner but not Gerrard)?

It'll certainly be interesting to see where the initial cuts are made (down to 40), as it will be a good indicator as to their intentions for the Aus A team - rehabilitation of the crocked players or blooding of the young guys against reasonable opposition rather than throwing them straight out against the ABs and Boks.

Last edited by AndyS; 07-05-07 at 14:40.

vCash
    I ain't gonna burn you down Sage, you are right in the close ones it could have gone either way, but it comes down to ewan not giving the backs an attacking strategy which let you down a lot...Given the right coaching they are bound to show thier class, like The Force did often enough for 7th place...
    Still some selections are not warranted and you do have to ask questions...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    I'm very disappointed. Not enough Tahs were named for my liking. Heads need to roll on this oversight.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    as a chicken you a carrying on like someone has taken yours off!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    I ain't gonna burn you down Sage, you are right in the close ones it could have gone either way, but it comes down to ewan not giving the backs an attacking strategy which let you down a lot...Given the right coaching they are bound to show thier class, like The Force did often enough for 7th place...
    Still some selections are not warranted and you do have to ask questions...
    Agreed more than 100%

...and there's people I would have rathered in the extended list than some of those selected. You can't tell me that if you wanted a sparing partner (say for... oh I don't know, an extended national squad), that Croft would not be on your list. Henjak probably did enough for selection, same with Tai.

Then there are those that some people might not understand (I'll go through a few of the tahs here to show some eastern perspective)

Will Caldwell, carried the lineout in the absence of Vickerman and Kanaar, and did it quite well.. has to be worth something.

David Lyons has in my view, shown a lot of form from earlier in his career since coming back form injury, he's worth another look in.

Tafu Polota-Nau, versatility is why I imagine he's there.

Last edited by Sagerian; 07-05-07 at 15:09.

vCash
    The fish are biting! I got a big'un!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Humour mate, not a bite, sorry.

vCash
    No that was definitely a bite, otherwise you would not have been so quick!

How many games are there going to be for the selectors to watch the 'maybes' from the culled ones?

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    At least 5 I would hope in the Aus A games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    No that was definitely a bite, otherwise you would not have been so quick!

How many games are there going to be for the selectors to watch the 'maybes' from the culled ones?
    12 minutes

reel me in

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast