Thread: Mitchell says watch for Henjak

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell says watch for Henjak

By Courtney Walsh and Peter Kogoy
    May 04, 2007

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell said yesterday selectors would be stupid to leave Matt Henjak out of Australia's Rugby World Cup squad.

Mitchell, whose side faces the Blues at Subiaco Oval in Perth tonight in an attempt to keep its improbable finals chances alive, said Henjak's absence through injury from two New Zealand fixtures last month was partly the reason for Force's predicament.

"I really do hope that he is in the selectors' minds," Mitchell said.

"I think that he has had an outstanding season, and it is not often that I speak about individuals, but certainly the lack of his influence on the road trip was clearly obvious, how much he influences this team with his tackling and defence."

Mitchell, who is expected to announce today that he will stay on as Force's coach for another three (?) years, said Henjak had matured greatly since being sent home in disgrace from a Wallabies tour of South Africa two years ago.

"I think he has matured a lot as a person, both on and off the field, and I think the Australian selectors would be absolutely stupid not to have him in mind for the World Cup," Mitchell said.

"People deal with adversity in different ways, and I just think he is a great competitor. He won't be down for long and you can guarantee he is going to come back because it is in his nature."

Burly Force second rower Nathan Sharpe said Henjak, who trained with his right knee heavily bandaged yesterday, was an ideal back-up for George Gregan for the upcoming Tests against Wales and Fiji.

"Matt has been in outstanding form for the Force this year," the Force captain said last night.

"He's obviously disappointed at the way he and the team went last year, but he's done enough this year to suggest that he should be considered.

"It would come as no real surprise to me, or anyone in the Force, for him to be in serious contention as the back-up halfback."

Henjak gets to showcase his talents against veteran Blues halfback, the Australia-born Steve Devine, in a match the Force must win by a margin of at least 42 points to have any hope of contesting next week's finals.

Force also needs both the Chiefs and Brumbies to lose their respective matches against the Crusaders and Highlanders.

Sharpe said he expected a fierce contest from the Blues, who are in danger of slipping from the four after a dismal tour of South Africa.

"We know we will have to put up our best performance and hope other results fall our way," he said. "There's a lot riding on this game at Subiaco tonight.

"The Blues can beat anyone in this competition on any given day.

"But it would be nice if we get over them and possibly spoil their own finals chances."

Mitchell said he believed the expectations placed on the Blues could favour Force.

"I guess there is more pressure on them than us (because) we know where we stand and a lot of the permutations are out of our control," he said.

But he conceded that Force had been out-toughed by New Zealand rivals for most of the past two seasons.

"There is quite a simple fact that when the competition or game gets tighter and tougher, we've got to get tough, going to the hard spots and running the hard lines," he said.

He said it would be a shame if Force did miss the finals given the freshness of the majority of the squad.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I hope Henjak makes the Wallibies he is good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs

May 04, 2007

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell said yesterday selectors would be stupid to leave Matt Henjak out of Australia's Rugby World Cup squad.

Couldn't have put it better myself

vCash
    With Cordingly still on the injury sheet who else has realistically put their hand up?
    He should be an automatic selection.

vCash
    go the yak

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs

May 04, 2007

Mitchell, whose side faces the Blues at Subiaco Oval in Perth tonight in an attempt to keep its improbable finals chances alive, said Henjak's absence through injury from two New Zealand fixtures last month was partly the reason for Force's predicament.

"I really do hope that he is in the selectors' minds," Mitchell said.

"I think that he has had an outstanding season, and it is not often that I speak about individuals, but certainly the lack of his influence on the road trip was clearly obvious, how much he influences this team with his tackling and defence."

Mitchell, who is expected to announce today that he will stay on as Force's coach for another three (?) years, said Henjak had matured greatly since being sent home in disgrace from a Wallabies tour of South Africa two years ago.

"I think he has matured a lot as a person, both on and off the field, and I think the Australian selectors would be absolutely stupid not to have him in mind for the World Cup," Mitchell said.

"People deal with adversity in different ways, and I just think he is a great competitor. He won't be down for long and you can guarantee he is going to come back because it is in his nature."

Burly Force second rower Nathan Sharpe said Henjak, who trained with his right knee heavily bandaged yesterday, was an ideal back-up for George Gregan for the upcoming Tests against Wales and Fiji.

"Matt has been in outstanding form for the Force this year," the Force captain said last night.

"He's obviously disappointed at the way he and the team went last year, but he's done enough this year to suggest that he should be considered.

"It would come as no real surprise to me, or anyone in the Force, for him to be in serious contention as the back-up halfback."

Henjak gets to showcase his talents against veteran Blues halfback, the Australia-born Steve Devine, in a match the Force must win by a margin of at least 42 points to have any hope of contesting next week's finals.

Force also needs both the Chiefs and Brumbies to lose their respective matches against the Crusaders and Highlanders.

Sharpe said he expected a fierce contest from the Blues, who are in danger of slipping from the four after a dismal tour of South Africa.

"We know we will have to put up our best performance and hope other results fall our way," he said. "There's a lot riding on this game at Subiaco tonight.

"The Blues can beat anyone in this competition on any given day.

"But it would be nice if we get over them and possibly spoil their own finals chances."

Mitchell said he believed the expectations placed on the Blues could favour Force.

"I guess there is more pressure on them than us (because) we know where we stand and a lot of the permutations are out of our control," he said.

But he conceded that Force had been out-toughed by New Zealand rivals for most of the past two seasons.

"There is quite a simple fact that when the competition or game gets tighter and tougher, we've got to get tough, going to the hard spots and running the hard lines," he said.

He said it would be a shame if Force did miss the finals given the freshness of the majority of the squad.
    Hey do you type that all out or do you ctrl+c, ctrl+v?

Come to the dark side

We have milk and cookies

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You mean there's a short cut

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    yea sure burgs youve never heard of copy paste.

he should make the squad at least and i think he will put alot of presure on gregan to keep his spot. it would really be a good thing to have him there.