Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GAYFL

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23211,00.html
    Donaldson's successful submission on provocation was that such an insult would result in a person losing self-control and induce him to commit an assault.
    err... so if this had happened in a bar or club he'd have got away with it too?
    Sounds like too much uncontrolled aggression to me!

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    lol yea they didnt think the war would still go on this long. i hope they get over it soon its getting anoying.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    The AFL has certainly made a mess of that Stanley.

To be honest I believe they both deserve a slap. Selwood for being an idiot and Headland for being stupid enough to retaliate.

It's very difficult to draw a line on where sledging is OK and where it becomes offensive. As we have seen on here it is very much a personal opinion. However, if you are paid a large sum of money to be a professional sportsman then you should be able to rise above whatever is said on the field. BTW I'm Dockers and still think Des should have been disciplined.

On the general sledging issue……..it comes down to the management to draw the line and in The Eagles case the managements ethics seem to be significantly lacking. That is based on not just this issue.

Finally, I have been criticised for saying people should harden up a bit and I think this issue raises a good point. How soft is it to react to name calling and end up in a litigious situation. What happened to the good old days when what was said on the field stayed on the field. Do we really want to end up in such a sterile environment that we have to apologise for every remark and reaction made on the field. Harden up FFS! Do we want to become the 51st state?

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    who watched the footy show last night ??? The tribunal is just as soft if not softer than they always have been - one of the reasons way back when I left AFL and came over to rugby!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    For those who watched it, I think Sam Newman had it 100% right last night on the Footy Show.
    While the fairy boys around him chirped he was out of touch with modern sensibilities it was Sam that drew the applause of the significant studio audience for saying if both parties know it to be a fiction then toughen up, take it on the chin and get on with the game.
    Regardless of what coloured jersey he wears (ie this isn't a Dockers sledge TEF ) Des Headland is a menace to himself and his team as he cannot contain his emotions and any opponents who didn't before now know it.
    Be interested to see if Carro makes any retraction or apology on Football Confidential next week regarding Selwood too.
    Des Snr and John Laws should be sitting at home with fingers crossed contemplating their actions and hoping they don't cop a filthy big libel case for slander as well!

Last edited by Burgs; 20-04-07 at 10:25.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The judiciary want thier cake,and to eat it two...Took a bet each way by the looks of it...And i still think it is bad taste to attack someones children or family, if you had a handicapped or disabled son/daughter and someone started making sick references to it, by christ you would need more than a trainer to pull me off the mofo's let me tell you...Same goes for sexual innuendo as well, in relation to children, although in this case i believe it was more of an accidental slur blown out of proportion...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And that's the difference or “the line” for me Frontrow, your example which details a (hypothetical) truth that the child is in fact disabled etc versus something (whether it was said, intended, misconstrued...whatever) that is a physical impossibility.
    You would assume that Des and his wife would know the movements the previous night of their six year old daughter and there is no way on this Earth that Selwood could have achieved what he was alleged to have claimed.
    To actually pick on someone or someone related based on fact is an entirely different matter in my eye and the Ramanaskis "has the chemo fried your brain" remark of a year or so ago is a clear demonstration of that gone too far.
    Certainly some people in life have thicker skins than others and react differently however whether reacting is right or wrong will always come down to interpretation I guess.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    For those who watched it, I think Sam Newman had it 100% right last night on the Footy Show.
    While the fairy boys around him chirped he was out of touch with modern sensibilities it was Sam that drew the applause of he significant studio audience for saying if both parties new it to a fiction then toughen up, take it on the chin and get on with the game.
    Regardless of what coloured jersey he wears (ie this isn't a Dockers sledge TEF ) Des Headland is a menace to himself and his team as he cannot contain his emotions and any opponents who didn't before now know it.
    Be interested to see if Carro makes any retraction or apology on Football Confidential next week regarding Selwood too.
    Des Snr and John Laws should be sitting at home with fingers crossed contemplating their actions and hoping they don't cop a filthy big libel case for slander as well!
    absolutely - Same had it spot on!!

Now all you have to do to put Hedland off his game is walk past and say "nice tat"with a big grin on your face!!! That guy is a frigging idiot!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Even though Sam Newman is a complete tosser, in my opinion, he does come from the old school and believes that the game is being driven in the wrong direction by a bunch of soft c-cks.

Go the biff, bring on the passion of yesteryear and bring on the naked dancing girls.

OH and btw, discussing the line that can and cannot be crossed when sledging is a futile argument.

Last edited by The EnForcer; 20-04-07 at 11:05. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    certainly is!! Hedland is using it as a reason for his attack, history shows he doesn't need much to fire up!!!

vCash
    Bring Back the BIFF...

Champion
    vCash
    im all for the sledge. one thing i enjoy about being a loosie in rugby. but there is aline you dont cross. and bring someones family or friends into it IS crossing that line!

hedland retalitated to what i saw as someone crossing the line. selwood was guilty as hell, is body language and the smirk on his face after the incedent was a dead give away. but if the afl didnt think he was guilty then why did hedland not get suspended? if selwood was guilty then why isnt he suspended? oh i know! the afl dont like freo but man.. the eagles can do no wrong! another incedent... michael johnson(spelling?) 5 weeks for a hip and shoulder but a crows player does it and his report gets thrown out!

And for f@ck sake AFL, before you try and tackle the drug issue try and get a consistent tribunal!!!!

vCash
    Well said Pruc, couldn't have put it better myself...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    im all for the sledge. one thing i enjoy about being a loosie in rugby. but there is aline you dont cross. and bring someones family or friends into it IS crossing that line!
    But does that not depend on how big a slag their sister is though.....

Just happy to be here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast