Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life in a Box

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Life in a Box

I'm sure many, if not most of you, are used to the highlife and mixing with the glitterati. Me, I'm just a John Curtin High boy from the sixties, and seldom see any celebrity more important than the local dog catcher when she comes to complain about my wandering but elusive cats.

But last night was different. Last night I got an invitation to a BOX. Well, actually I didn't actually get the invitation. Apparently it was given to our club president,who kept very quiet about it until he realized it clashed with a family do he couldn't wriggle out of.

So our president bestowed it on a club sponsor, a former club president who doesn't have any friends (as is apparently the case with most ex club presidents, thats why they are ex).

So he asked me if I wanted to go.

I had no idea of what was expected of a former Curtin High boy in a BOX so I took the precaution of asking the ex pres of the dress code. Dunno, he said, smart casual is always good, he said.

Well, I like to think I'm both smart and casual at the best of times, but I got his drift, and decided to wear a coat and tie.

Bloody good thing I did!

When we arrived at gate 3 we were met by a very pleasant young man and his delightful girlfriend, who introduced himself as our host for the night, the local representative of a major sporting apparel supplier. Apparently we could not use their BOX for some mysterious reason, but would have to make do with the Western Force BOX.

Well, I didn't object to slumming it a little, and went with the flow up the stairs of the Johhny Walker Pavilion (or was it Max Walker? I don't know, it sounded like some soccer players name) where we walked up some stairs, down a corridor, and entered THE BOX.

We were the first ones there, in a large room (more properly described as a mini ballroom) populated by a platoon of smiling women carrying platters of finger foods in one hand and serviettes in the other. They descended on us like swarming bees and insisted that we consume their delightful offerings at a decidedly unhealthy rate.

Meanwhile, another cohort of these magnaminous bees began plying us with beer and wine.Astutely, I realized that it was not just draft beer, but that top shelf stuff like Becks was also available, so I settled on copious amounts of the German nectar.

While this was going on the BOX began to fill with the who's who of WA's rich, famous and photogenic.

Paul Omodei was there, chatting confidently with Bob Kucera. Julie Bishop found time to attend, so obviously rewarding school teachers is not a full time occupation. That great rugby enthusiast Graeme Moss was present, as was Peter O'Meara, Geoff Stooke , Judge Rob Viol, Canno, and a plethora of others of greater or lesser fame.

I sat in my little corner generously regale with Becks and prawn cocktails and just observed.

Eventually our host informed us that the game was about to start and led the ex pres and myself (and by this time there was a distinct wobble in our stride)to our balcony seats.

The 10 minutes or so before the kick of were glorious. There we were, 3 metres above the gold members, whose seating arrangements we had previously envied, cold full -strengh -beer -in -glass -container in hand, bums on padded seating, trying to casually catch the eye of everyone we knew amongst the plebs below.

And there were heaps of them. As they saw you you would oh so unpretentiously lift your glass container in the direction of their plastic cup, and bid them a pleasant evening, knowing full well what they were thinking, "what the hell are you turkeys doing up there?".

And then there was the game, what a fantastic display by the Force. But hey, you know all about that.

During the half time break there was more food,including cheese platters, fruit,and of course more and more beer.

After the game there was more beer as well as more cheese Italian Amaretti biscuits, coffee, chocolates, and of course, more beer.

After an hour or so of this (at least I think it was an hour, my memory is a little hazy as to exact details) I noticed that the Glitterati had departed, the smiling bees had vanished, and 2 grim looking men with mops and vacuum cleaners had entered the room.Whilst they didn't exactly say "piss off" (at least I don't think so...) the ex pres and I got the message, and meandered down the corridor, down the stairs and out of the stadium.

What a great night! How can people afford it? They must have really deep pockets.

Anyway, we staggered back to JBOreillys where we met up with Coach (on his pre wedding night) and his mate David, spoke gibberish for as long as it took to down two pints of beer and again get kicked out at closing time, caught a taxi, and went home.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by fulvio sammut; 28-04-07 at 21:18.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Thats OK Fulvio,......I...as one of the great unwashed saw you on the steps outside...THE BOX....at the end of the game.....and I waved...as did Josie.....and ...nothing...not a sausage....not even a "royal we" wave......

well done mate.......you deserved it......lol

vCash
    Sounds good. I saw a women flash the players when they came around our end of the stadium!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Not in our box. I'm sure Julie doesn't get into that sort of thing...

vCash
    I suspect you deserved it but I'm not sure why... why wasn't it me ! Glad you enjoyed it

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    If I was 18 I'd go into a BOX like that, only problem is beer is in there.

Come to the dark side

We have milk and cookies

vCash
    I think that was the same place we had our christmas work party.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    Not in our box. I'm sure Julie doesn't get into that sort of thing...
    not when Peter is around

vCash
    Good to see you had fun fulvio!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Nice work Frank.

I have just been invited to The RugbyWA Box for this week. Should I go?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    You Lucky, Lucky, Lucky bastard ... more power to you.

vCash
    Wouldn't recommend it InnFORCEr. But if you like, I could find a good home for your invitation...

vCash
    Only if you PROMISE to tell us EVERYTHING at the TWF get together afterwards

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    OK I'll go then. Thanks for the sound advice.

FS - I think there may be some legal ramifications if I did that, and you know how a lawyer costs! Not even a struggling real estate agent could afford one of them

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I think you are safe Innforcer - if you have a beer in one hand and mutter words like alledgely at decent intervals and bearing in mind your audience will be in noisey environs with a beer in their hand to - not worth worrying about

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast