Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outcome of ARU AGM elections

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Outcome of ARU AGM elections

Outcome of ARU AGM elections

April 19, 2007 - 8:06pm
    Story by: ARU

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) Annual General Meeting (AGM) Election of Directors was today adjourned to 4pm, Thursday 10 May 2007.

The current Board of Directors continues until that date.

Prior to the adjournment, delegates at the ARU AGM today unanimously elected:

* Paul McLean to another two years as President of the ARU;
    * Outgoing ARU Chairman, Ron Graham, as Vice President of the ARU for the next two years; and
    * Arvid Petersen to the ARU Board of Directors, replacing the retiring Ron Graham. Under the Corporate Governance rules of the ARU, Arvid will resign as Chairman of the NSW Rugby Union Board within the next six months.

These changes will come into effect on 10 May following resumption of the adjourned AGM.

The reason for the adjournment is because a vacancy still exists on the ARU Board. (Word on Inside Rugby was the adjournment occured when I think Paul McLean, a QRU Rep anyway, stormed out of the meeting. But who would you believe these days?!?! )

Terry Jackman was nominated for election by the Queensland Rugby Union (QRU). Terry Jackman was appointed as a Director in April of last year filling a Casual Vacancy created by the resignation of Ben Kehoe.

As the votes were being collected on Terry Jackman’s election, the chair of the meeting, Paul McLean called a stop to the vote.

New ballot papers were issued and prior to voting Paul McLean was advised to inform the AGM that the Board had earlier that day taken a vote of no confidence in Terry Jackman.
    Voting proceeded and the election was lost on a vote of 10 (noes) to 4 (yes).

As the QRU is constitutionally entitled to a second Board representative, Paul McLean declared the meeting adjourned for 21 days to allow the QRU to nominate a representative (within 7 days) and to provide the required 14 days notice of that nomination to Australian Rugby union delegates.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    toys thrown out of cot

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Snub for Queensland at AGM

By Jim Tucker
    April 20, 2007

THE Australian Rugby Union's annual general meeting dissolved in chaos yesterday with Queensland furious at a vote of no confidence which dumped board member Terry Jackman.

Instead of the AGM making a strong statement for rugby's future by electing a new chairman, that process ground to a halt because of the blood on the floor.

Queensland's delegates, led by Queensland Rugby Union chairman Peter Lewis, refused to put up another nominee after the ambush of Jackman, who was knocked back on a 10-4 vote.

Jackman is the former head of Tourism Queensland.

ARU president Paul McLean was forced to adjourn the meeting and reschedule the election of Ron Graham's successor as chairman for May 10.

Queensland can fight Jackman's cause or put up another board nominee in the next week.

Lewis has called a press conference for this morning to outline what can only be dismay at the board drama.

It comes on top of Wednesday night's fast-tracked resignation from ARU chief executive Gary Flowers to end his role on May 11.

Just last Friday, Flowers had indicated his wish to finish the final eight months of his contract to guarantee an orderly transition to his successor, who many are touting as former supremo John O'Neill.

"I no longer consider that smooth transition possible," Flowers said.

New South Wales Rugby Union chairman Arvid Petersen replaced Graham on the ARU board while former Australia forward Mark Connors is the new players' representative on the board.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    in simple english can someone explain to me if these results are a good outcome or not .... *looks at Burgs*

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Small room, fan turned on high, little chimpanzee in corner flinging Sh*t, you can guess the results...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I gave it a fairly decent rant over here last night Happy: http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=7318
    However, in a nut shell I can't see any good coming out of it.
    The foundations of the ARU are rotten and it is contagious.
    It a classic NSW v Qld stoush that will go around in circles until NSW's gets what they want, regardless if it is good for the Australian game or not.
    All these faceless no bodies are driving the code into the ground.
    We need some of the strong on field leaders of the past, amongst which are some excellent business men, to make a block takeover of the Board to get some heart and soul back into making the right decisions and some much needed integrity and credibility.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Or what frontrow said

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I will have to read up a bit more but for now .. WHAT THE ??? I didn't realise we were in such deep $hit at such a high level.

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    It's nothing that new though Happy, they are just a bit shorter on "band-aids" (Trophies) these days so it bubbles to the surface again.
    Has been an ongoing thing since QRU joined up in the 30's to make the ARU.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    It's nothing that new though Happy, they are just a bit shorter on "band-aids" (Trophies) these days so it bubbles to the surface again.
    Has been an ongoing thing since QRU joined up in the 30's to make the ARU.
    It's a common thing in a lot of unions round the world. It has a lot to do with the structure of unions and their lack of willingness to change so that they are more in alignment with modern requirements, i.e. business orientation and the bigger picture requirements to survive.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    QRU defends Jackman and blasts ARU

Friday Apr 20 13:26 AEST

The Queensland Rugby Union has launched an extraordinary attack on the ARU and NSWRU after Queensland director Terry Jackman was on Thursday night sensationally voted off the ARU board.

QRU chairman Peter Lewis on Friday accused senior ARU and NSWRU officials of ignoring the need for essential reform in the struggling code by protecting their own "vested interests".

Lewis said NSW betrayed Queensland after reneging on a prior agreement by voting against Jackman following a no-confidence motion at both a board meeting and the annual general meeting on Thursday.

The Gold Coast-based Jackman, a friend and supporter of former ARU supremo John O'Neill, was reportedly accused of leaking information about the board forcing the resignation of ARU chief executive Gary Flowers.

Lewis gave evidence to deny Jackman had made the leak and claimed his dumping was engineered to give Canberra-based director Peter McGrath the numbers to win a vote on the ARU chairmanship at Thursday's annual general meeting.

He said it was disgraceful that Jackman's fellow directors secretly conspired against him, and laid most blame at the feet of NSW officials after the southern union had forged an agreement with Queensland only days before.

"Yesterday was a remarkable ambush with no notice to Queensland," Lewis said.

"Terry was hijacked and ambushed at the meeting where it was like a kangaroo court.

"They went around the room and said we refuse to work with you any longer on the pretext he had leaked information to the press.

"The ARU board leaks like a sieve."

Lewis last year hand-picked Jackman, the former Queensland Tourism chief and founder and chief benefactor of the Gold Coast Breakers rugby club, to reform the flagging state of the game.

"Let's face it, at the end of the day we're running, not for profit, a game with 150,000 kids and we've got people behaving like this dishonestly behind closed doors and frankly what they've done to Jackman is defamatory," he said.

"It's an absolute disgrace.

"These people are so desperate to retain their status that they're prepared to character assassinate a genuine contributor to rugby."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hmm this stuff will have to bottom out before any decent people can get on the board - Wallabies will be stuffed for the RWC

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe not TQ1, I think this is excellent news!

NSW backs former defence chief

Monday, April 23, 2007

NSW has supported Queensland's nomination of former Defence Force chief Peter Cosgrove for the board of the ARU today and come out strongly in support of John O'Neill's return.

The Queensland Rugby Union today announced that Cosgrove and former Wallabies forward Rod McCall will be the state's candidates for the nine-man board.

Under the ARU constitution Queensland has two guaranteed seats on the board.

The pair would fill the vacancies brought about by the resignation of director David Usasz and the controversial dumping of fellow Queensland board member Terry Jackman last Thursday.

ARU President Paul McLean said he was hopeful the way could be cleared by the end of this week for the new board to meet.

A former Australian of the Year, Cosgrove is the former chief of the defence force and led the relief effort for the North Queensland region hardest hit by cyclone Larry last year.

NSWRU chairman Mr Arvid Petersen says NSW Rugby will support Queensland's nominations announced today for the ARU Board and has called for the return of former chief John O'Neill.

Mr Petersen said he has a strong personal view on who should take over as managing director of the ARU.

"I personally believe that we cannot waste anymore time and I'll be encouraging John O'Neill to return to the ARU,'' added Mr Petersen.

"I want to state clearly on the record, that in my opinion, John O'Neill is the one administrator who can get our game back on its feet again and he has the record to prove it.

"Agendas and lingering grudges have to be put aside for the good of the game and that means getting on with the job and appointing a strong leadership team from the board down.''

Mr Petersen said he'd spoken to QRU chairman Mr Peter Lewis and both agree that the new ARU Board should be finalised without delay.

"I've had extremely positive discussions with my Queensland counterpart and I've stated that we have no problem in supporting their new nominations in Rod McCall and Peter Cosgrove,'' said Mr Petersen.

"The AGM should be completed as soon as possible now that Queensland have their nominations in place.

"There is now no valid reason to delay proceedings until May 10, a day before the ARU CEO steps down.

"`This is not the time for the game to be without strong leadership.

"We should reassemble as soon as possible to get rugby back on track. Every day counts.''

General Cosgrove was attending an all day conference in Sydney and was unable to attend today’s announcement.

However he issued a statement through Queensland Rugby.

"I've always believed that if Queensland Rugby is strong, Australian Rugby is strong, and I'll approach the job with that in mind," he said.

"My role as an ARU director will be to represent the union as a whole but also to make sure that decisions taken at board level are made with all reasonable input from the various parts of Queensland and Australian Rugby,” he said.

"Plainly there is urgent and important work to be done to ensure Australian Rugby is unified and financially sound, enabling all players to enjoy a great game to the maximum extent of their abilities.

"I’m not a resident in Queensland but I have spent long periods in the state and very much feel like an honorary Queenslander. I will also do my best to inform myself of all Queensland Rugby issues."

Mr McCall said he was looking forward to getting to grips with the issues.

"It looks like it's a fairly mammoth task... but I'll just be looking to get in there and find out what the facts are and make decisions based on that," he told today's news conference.

Mr McLean said if the ARU's 14 delegates were all in agreement, the election of General Cosgrove could be finalised by Thursday or Friday of this week and a Board meeting called as soon as possible after that.

rugbyheaven.com.au and AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Wow - maybe things are looking up

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Gen. Cosgrove is a former Head of Australian Army Rugby and Former Patron of Australian Services Rugby. In 1999 he sent a letter of support to the Wallabies prior to their win of the 1999 RWC whilst he was leading Australian Forces in East Timor. In 2002 he also didn't yell at me when I was drunk and accidentally bumped in to him at the Navy v Army Match at North Sydney Oval, which makes him a real good guy.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast