Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outcome of ARU AGM elections

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm not so sure. I have all the respect in the world for Cosgrove himself, but don't hold out much hope for change when you have Petersen saying:
    "Agendas and lingering grudges have to be put aside for the good of the game and that means getting on with the job and appointing a strong leadership team from the board down.''
    "...I've stated that we have no problem in supporting their new nominations in Rod McCall and Peter Cosgrove,''

when you also have Cosgrove saying (or the QRU saying on his behalf):
    "I've always believed that if Queensland Rugby is strong, Australian Rugby is strong, and I'll approach the job with that in mind"
    "My role as an ARU director will be to represent the union as a whole but also to make sure that decisions taken at board level are made with all reasonable input from the various parts of Queensland and Australian Rugby,”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I see where you are coming from Andy but I don't think by "agendas" Petersen meant going in to bat for your own State, I think he was referring more to the legacy of bickering and precious ego's that has hamstrung many national initiatives over the years.

From what I have seen and know of Cosgrove I would think such behaviour is well beneath him and I'm sure he will bring some much needed integrity to the table.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To me, Cosgrove as Chairman, a clear CEO appointment process (even if O'Neill ends up getting the nod) and Deanes to takeover from Connolly are the three critical steps the ARU need to make to start a new era of credible and transparent National Administration.
    Anything less will be tarnished by rumour and innuendo until the next embarrassing public blow up.

General, sergeant 'avert warfare'

By Wayne Smith
    April 24, 2007

EVER the good soldier, General Peter Cosgrove is ready to serve in whatever capacity he is needed on the new Australian Rugby Union board - including as chairman.

The former Chief of the Defence Force yesterday was announced as Queensland's nominee to replace ousted director Terry Jackman on the ARU board, with his election to be rubber-stamped by a hastily reconvened ARU annual general meeting in Sydney later this week.

Not content with enlisting a general to the cause, Queensland Rugby Union chairman Peter Lewis reinforced the theme of a military takeover by naming "Sergeant Slaughter", former Australia second-rower Rod McCall, to serve out the remaining year of the term of Queensland's other board delegate, David Usasz, who has resigned.

A self-described "very ordinary rugby player" for the Eighths at Waverley College, Cosgrove admitted his modest rugby ambitions had been sacrificed to his military career. "It's funny how your rugby career can suffer when you keep going off to war," Cosgrove said.

A frustrated Wallaby wannabee he might have been, but Cosgrove has kept the faith in the players who wear the famed gold jersey.

"We're getting ready to put 30 men on the ground in France," he said, referring not to a small-budget re-enactment of the D-Day landings but to the Rugby World Cup.

"I know there has been some defeatist talk, but I'm convinced the Wallabies will put on a good show. If they get into the final, they could surprise and delight us all. So we owe it to those boys to be united at home."

Cosgrove dismissed as hypothetical the suggestion he could be a white knight, offering himself as a compromise candidate as chairman, coming to the board with none of the supposed baggage of the primary candidates, New South Wales's Arvid Petersen and Peter McGrath of the ACT.

"Let me be very clear about this," Cosgrove said. "Whoever is chairman, I'll be very content to learn the rugby ropes and play my part under the leadership of that chairman."

But asked if he was excluding himself from that position, he replied: "I won't exclude myself from any responsibility offered to me, be it being in charge of the Wallabies' kit to being a spokesman. I'm not into picking and choosing."

Yet, in New Zealand rugby parlance, Cosgrove has "mana" - authority and presence. How could he not, having commanded the Interfet Taskforce that in 1999 oversaw East Timor's transition to independence and, more recently, having taken charge of the reconstruction of Innisfail after it was devastated by Cyclone Larry? He will be the man other directors look to, irrespective of the title he carries.

Surprisingly, Lewis - who yesterday was busy extending olive branches to the ARU just days after having savaged board members - downplayed the likelihood of Cosgrove immediately becoming ARU chairman.

"Quite frankly, I don't think he is ready to be chairman," Lewis said. "I think he would find the prospect of vaulting straight into the chairmanship quite daunting."

Queensland has a long tradition of devouring those of its nominated directors who refuse to push the state's agenda, but there is virtually no chance of the independence of either Cosgrove or McCall being compromised.

Cosgrove, in particular, has wide experience at this level, as a Qantas board member, a consultant to Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, chairman of the South Australian Defence Advisory Board and a member of the Australian War Memorial Council.

Petersen, in welcoming Cosgrove's nomination, hinted he might be prepared to stand aside if it became clear the board viewed the former Australian of the Year as the best man to restore the game's credibility after months of internecine warfare.

"I'm not on a personal mission to become chairman," Petersen said. "My position will be that we need to have a good, open board dialogue."

A key element of that dialogue, one that both Cosgrove and Petersen listed as vital yesterday, will be the issue of finding a chief executive to replace Gary Flowers, who will stand down on May 11. Although both insisted the board needed to move quickly to fill the void, clearly they have different opinions on how the ARU should go about it.

Petersen nailed his colours to the mast when he said he would tell the board it did not have time to indulge in a drawn-out selection process and should snap up former CEO John O'Neill as quickly as possible.

"I want to state clearly, on the record, that in my opinion John O'Neill is the one administrator who can get our game back on its feet again and he has the record to prove it," he said.

Effectively, Petersen was formalising what until now has only vaguely been spelt out: that he and O'Neill form a ticket.

Cosgrove, while insisting he was not opposed to O'Neill or any other candidate, indicated he favoured a transparent process to select a new CEO from as wide a range of contenders as possible.

"I hope it's a field brimful of talent and that the board is faced with an embarrassment of riches," he said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps, but was it egos that hamstrung attempts to get the ARC up and running for so long or the clubs (i.e. NSW and Queensland state interests)?

vCash
    Who represents WA instrests? -

Hope Cosgrove stays if there is to much "bickering" and "representation" from QRU clubs won't he just get the hump and leave

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A bit of both I think, but probably more the Club level.
    Trouble is that many at Board level come from somewhere in Club land rather than an outsider like Cosgrove.
    It certainly has been an eventful period, that of the Flowers tenure, it will be interesting how it is viewed in ten years time.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Just looking TQ1, I don't think any of the Board are from WA however, Stookey is listed as a "Delegate" without voting rights.
    My understanding was that previously there was one Board Member from one of and representing ACT, Vic, Tas, SA, NT & WA. I would assume that is the ACT alternative Chairman they mention.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think Cosgrove will do a superb job. I have absolutely no problem with his desire to see Queensland Rugby getting back to the top, after all he is a Queenslander. I am sure that there were certain elements of the Army which he did not favour, but he is professional enough to defend all and everyone under his command. He can only be good for the game and I hope he gets rid of the petty backbiting and state nepotism which has blotted the ARU for so long.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    O'Neill fan clubs confront Cosgrove Good luck!!!

By Wayne Smith and Peter Kogoy
    April 25, 2007

MORE pressure was applied to General Peter Cosgrove and his fellow Australian Rugby Union directors yesterday, when the 13 Sydney premiership clubs came out in strong support for the return of John O'Neill as ARU chief executive.

Alan Williamson, chairman of the Sydney Premiership, issued a statement last night that sent a clear message both to O'Neill and the incoming ARU board members.

"John, come on home," the statement said. "We need you. Our beloved game needs you."

Finding a chief executive to replace Gary Flowers, who will stand down on May 11, will be the new board's second order of business, immediately following the election of a chairman to take over from Ron Graham. And indications are that the two issues are becoming inextricably entwined.

New South Wales Rugby Union boss Arvid Petersen's unequivocal support for O'Neill on Monday appears not to have hurt his campaign for the ARU chairmanship, but his statement that the body had no time to waste on an interviewing process, and should simply offer the job to O'Neill, could prove costly.

There is a growing belief among senior ARU officials that due process must be observed and that a clear, transparent, if quick, round of interviews is needed to establish the best candidate for chief executive.

There will be no complaints if O'Neill happens to be that candidate, but there is a strong sentiment that he must apply for the position rather than being given a tap on the shoulder.

Petersen's chances could be scuttled if that view prevails, as O'Neill almost certainly will walk away because he has no intention of running the gauntlet of a selection panel possibly weighted against him.

Hence Cosgrove, the former chief of the Australian Defence Force, could emerge as a compromise chairman.

"I'm certainly not canvassing any of those options," Cosgrove said yesterday.

"I think the best way to get to the CEO issue is for the board to discuss where it is, what its timetable is - and that's pretty urgent - and then move quickly to assemble a range of candidates.

"Any candidate must have business acumen, huge energy and a love for the game. It should be a Melbourne Cup field."

Let's get hiring, urges Cosgrove

Rupert Guinness
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007

THE Australian Rugby Union needs to appoint a successor to Gary Flowers as soon as possible or risk deepening the current crisis in the game's administration, new board nominee Peter Cosgrove has said.

The former Defence Force chief identified four criteria that a candidate for the chief executive position must meet in order to win the appointment.

"They would have to have a strong business acumen, they would have to be very energetic, and they would have to love rugby," he said yesterday. "The fourth one would be that a new CEO must be immediately available, and when I say immediately, I mean as soon as possible."

Cosgrove, a former Waverley College forward, said with Flowers vacating his office on May 11, it was imperative to appoint his long-term replacement quickly, allowing him to "drive policy options for the board".

Cosgrove has been nominated as one of two new Queensland directors along with former Wallaby Rod McCall. Their names will be put forward at a reconvened ARU annual general meeting later this week to replace the ousted Terry Jackman, and David Usasz, who resigned.

While acknowledging that he was unsure of the protocol to appoint a new chief executive, Cosgrove said the board should make a call for applications.

The ARU yesterday said a recruitment agency had been briefed about launching a global search for interested parties, but the position had not yet been advertised.

"We need a list of candidates," Cosgrove said. "We have time pressure, [but we] will get the best field we can to ensure we get someone working quickly."

However, Cosgrove was coy about immediately supporting the candidacy of former ARU boss John O'Neill - the man who many believe should succeed Flowers.

O'Neill left rugby's top job after the 2003 rugby World Cup and then became CEO of Football Federation Australia.

Although Cosgrove rates O'Neill highly, he is adamant that with rugby in a state of unrest in a World Cup year, the ARU must fill the position as early as possible. "It's very important for the new board to have a clear mind about the first order of business, which must be to get a process that will start the recruitment of a new CEO," said Cosgrove.

He added that failure to do so would not give the new appointee adequate time to deal with the upcoming demands of the game and would leave Australian rugby "limping along".

But Cosgrove did agree that O'Neill - whom he has not spoken to recently, but does know socially through rugby - is a figure whose experience and abilities could not be ignored.

Asked what he felt O'Neill's credentials were, Cosgrove said: "The magnificent job he did in professionalising rugby union and, of course, mounting that wonderful event … strong leadership in managing the World Cup in Australia."

As for talk he may line up alongside NSW's Arvid Petersen and the ACT's Peter McGrath as a candidate for the ARU chairman's position, Cosgrove said he was focused on being voted on to the board at the reconvened AGM, which will be held either on Friday or Saturday to allow for independent director Bob Dalziel to return from overseas. "I will serve the board in any capacity that they need - subcommittees, tasks or what have you. I will also work loyally and collegiately with any chairman," Cosgrove said.

But what would he do if he was approached to be chairman? "[That's a] hypothesis. You don't pick and choose your jobs. I don't pick and choose to be chairman," said Cosgrove.

He added that he was first approached about nominating for an ARU directorship by Queensland chairman Peter Lewis on Sunday and formally asked on Monday.

"My expectation is that a more experienced director within the ARU structure may be preferred as chairman."

Cosgrove also stressed that as a director he will make sure his voice is heard - but not in the public domain via the media. "Rest assured, I will have my say - but it will be in the boardroom rather than in [public] statements," he said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Jeez - this is better than that BBC program "Yes Prime Minister" - so far Cosgrove is making all the right noises - like I'm not seeking but if it were thrust on me etc... etc.. O'Neil is a strong canditate but must ensure that we have a field of good canditates etc.. etc.. will make my voice heard on the board but not via the media (Hmm methinks he knows how to play this game) - beginging to like Cosgrove more and more

Hoping that it results in a strong board moving in one direction - any direction is better than stalemate

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

O'Neill's return in question

I am starting to get very VERY suss of this whole, apparently Sydney based, push to get O'Neill back into the position with no form of process or accountability.
    If O'Neill is such a man of impeccable business standing then he should be the one leading the call to have due process be seen to be done.
    If he is so good then he will breeze through.
    If he doesn't want the hassle or scrutiny of an interview process then IMHO he is most definitely not the man for the job.
    Let us not forget that he has been there before and has left before.
    Those issues need to be resolved prior to any new employment arrangement for the peace of mind of all parties.
    He is not the Saviour and he most certainly isn't the ONLY CEO out there with the skills set to assist Australian Rugby to refocus.
    I have no agenda against O'Neill, I recall him presiding over a successful time in our sport and by all accounts he would be seen to be the front runner to return due to familiarity if nothing else.
    However familiarity can breed contempt as well.
    I will be disgusted in this Board if they make any permanent appointment to any senior position without carrying out due process.

O'Neill's return in question

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent
    Thursday, April 26, 2007

THE push to have John O'Neill return for a second term as the chief executive of the Australian Rugby Union has hit a speed bump, with plans to have an extensive application process for the position certain to see him back away.

While ARU director Arvid Petersen has publicly called for O'Neill to immediately take over from Gary Flowers as the union's managing director, other officials are demanding a more cautious approach.

Some directors believe the ARU must call for applications, involve recruitment agencies and hold an extensive interview process for candidates.

Despite a concerted push for an appointment to be made within weeks, it could instead happen a considerable time after Flowers leaves on May 11.

There has already been discussion over ARU commercial operations general manager Brian Thorburn and head of the ARU rugby unit Pat Wilson running the organisation until Flowers's successor is announced.

Others have been pushing for former ARU chief operations officer and Brumbies chief executive Rob Clarke to return as an interim CEO.

Nonetheless, a drawn-out process is bound to see O'Neill lose interest in the job.

It is understood O'Neill, currently a senior executive with the STW Group, a communications, sports marketing and management company, will not apply for the ARU position. But if he was invited for an interview, he would be interested.

However, O'Neill is certain to lose any desire to return to the ARU, where he worked from 1995 to 2004 before becoming CEO of Football Federation Australia, if he has to be part of an extensive interview process.

The feeling among O'Neill's backers is that he does not want to be "part of a beauty parade".

Most ARU directors agree a replacement for Flowers must be made sooner rather than later. As one union source said last night: "We've just suffered from 3˝ years of people sitting around doing nothing. We can't have another three months waiting for something to happen. The appointment of a new CEO has to be expedited."

The situation will hopefully become clearer after the ARU's reconvened annual general meeting at St Leonards on Saturday afternoon, where the new board of directors and a new chairman are scheduled to be announced.

Former Australian Defence Force chief Peter Cosgrove has been nominated as one of two new Queensland directors along with former Wallabies second-rower Rod McCall.

Cosgrove will replace Terry Jackman, who departed the ARU board last Thursday after a vote of no confidence, while McCall will take over from David Usasz, who resigned after the original AGM.

Petersen, the NSW Rugby Union chairman, remains favourite to be the new ARU chairman, replacing Ron Graham.

However, on several issues, the votes of the two independent board members - Rick Lee and Bob Dalziel - will be crucial. And Petersen may find himself in a difficult position if an extensive selection process is chosen by the board to find Flowers's replacement.

As Petersen has stated that O'Neill is the best man for the position, even as chairman he is bound to find opposition within the ARU towards his being involved in a selection panel or sub-committee to select the new CEO.

On Monday, Petersen said that O'Neill was "a proven sports administrator, one of the best in the world, and if he is available and we can talk him into it, he would be the right choice because we do need some strong leadership".

The following day, the chairman of the Sydney premiership clubs Alan Williamson demanded the immediate recall of O'Neill to the ARU.

"We call on John O'Neill to please consider and put his hand up for consideration for the position of CEO Australian Rugby," Williamson said.

"Our message is plain and simple. John, we need you. Our beloved game needs you."

O'Neill a $4million pawn

By Peter Kogoy
    April 26, 2007

THE odds of John O'Neill returning to run Australian rugby hinge on two key planks: money and Canadian-born businessman Arvid Petersen seeing off Canberra lawyer Peter McGrath's challenge in a ballot for the chairmanship of the ARU.

The Australian has learned O'Neill's wage demand is understood to be $4million over three years, which he put to New South Wales Rugby Union chairman Petersen in a private discussion.

The Australian Rugby Union chairman will be settled at the adjourned AGM in Sydney, most likely to be held on Saturday.

The push for O'Neill to return gained further momentum when the presidents of the 13 Sydney premiership clubs on Tuesday came out in support of his appointment as ARU chief executive.

If O'Neill does get the nod, he will take over departing chief executive Gary Flower's honorary role as secretary of SANZAR (South African Rugby Union, the New Zealand Rugby Football Union and the Australian Rugby Union) in an interim capacity.

Irrespective of what happens at the adjourned AGM on Saturday, Flowers has been allowed to stay on as secretary of the southern hemisphere peak rugby body in an interim capacity until his last day in office at the ARU on May 11. He will represent both bodies at next month's International Rugby Board executive meeting in Dublin.

It is understood O'Neill remains committed to his new role on the NSW Tourism Task Force. He has also accepted a seat on the board of under-performing gaming and wagering operator Tabcorp. He is scheduled to take up that position some time after June 30.

Notwithstanding Petersen's wish to have the former ARU and Football Federation Australia chief back running Australian rugby, O'Neill has his share of detractors, including ACTRU chairman McGrath.

McGrath yesterday maintained his stance of keeping his thoughts to himself.

"I've made it pretty clear all along that any discussion about ARU matters should be discussed in the boardroom only and not aired in the press," McGrath said.

But a rugby broker, who asked not to be named, told The Australian yesterday: "Even if Petersen does win the job as chairman, he's still not got the numbers to get O'Neill in his old job across the line".

It is clear the emergence of NSW-born retired Army chief Peter Cosgrove's nomination as one of two Queensland directors has eased interstate tensions after the code lurched into turmoil last week.

QRU chairman Peter Lewis had accused NSW officials of "a gutless boardroom betrayal", which forced the adjournment of the AGM.

ARU spokesman Brian West yesterday said the adjourned AGM meeting would now take place "most likely" on Saturday.

"Bob Dalziel, one of two independent directors, who is based in Melbourne, remains overseas," West said. "We now understand that he won't be back in the country until the weekend at the earliest."

Last edited by Burgs; 25-04-07 at 23:59.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

I'm not (even) a candidate, says O'Neill

Friday, April 27, 2007

John O'Neill has ruled himself out of contention for the Australian Rugby Union's vacant chief executive position.

O'Neill had been touted for a possible return to the job he filled with some high profile success before moving on in 2004 to head Football Federation Australia until his resignation earlier this year.

His successor as ARU chief executive, Gary Flowers, is due to finish up on May 11 after resigning this month following a turbulent period for the governing body.

However O'Neill issued a statement today saying he would not return.

"Over the last several weeks, there has been considerable speculation in the media regarding my possible return to Australian Rugby, in some capacity or other," said O'Neill.

"I have, to date, responded that my affinity and affection for the game remains genuine and strong, and therefore, I would never say never to an opportunity to contribute again to the good management and governance of rugby.

"I must emphasise that I have not been approached by anyone representing the ARU about any position, nor have I sought one.

"After much consideration, I have decided that it is now an appropriate time to bring the speculation to an end.

"Therefore, I confirm that I am not a candidate for any position at the ARU.

"I will not be making any further comment."

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    All he says there is he has not been approached therefore he is not a canditate - therefore there is still hope

Saw the interview with Cosgrove last night - really intelligent said that last night would be the last time he would be interviewed about ARU unless he is given permission by the board to speak - looking for a cohesive board in public so as not to MAR the Wallaby chances in the RWC - Rugby in Oz is not at the bottom but could be improved a lot with a strong administration - to many people in the ARU have left key positions - a lot could be learnt from the New Zealand rugby board (they went through some pain 4 years ago !)

He came across as someone who is passionate about Rugby but not an idiot he knows that there are going to be some insteresting discussions ahead and seems able to take them on. Wouldn't mind him as chairman at least he knows something about diplomancy and making things look like they are going somewhere even if they aren't and anyone caught backbiting will be dealt with

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    To me the second last line pretty much signs off on it though I reckon TQ1?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    yep ! - that's why you and I aren't wealthy people - this spin doctor thing is a gene I really want in the next life - a spelling gene would be useful to !!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast