Chisholm commits to Brumbies

April 18, 2007

THE Brumbies received a boost today ahead of their Super 14 fixture against Western Force on Friday, with second row Mark Chisholm committing himself to the franchise and the Australian Rugby Union for another two years.

Chisholom, 25, has played 55 Super rugby matches for the Brumbies since making his debut in 2003, and he was a member of the 2004 championship-winning team.

Chisholm, who has started all 10 of the Brumbies' matches this season, said he was pleased to remain with the two-time Super champions until the end of 2009.

"It was an easy decision for me to make," he said.

"My family love living in Canberra and it's the best place in the world to play rugby.

"I've been part of the Brumbies program for five seasons, my game has developed each year, and I know it's where I can get the most out of my rugby."

Chisholm, who has played 25 Tests for Australia, said he was looking forward to being part of the Brumbies' future.

"I couldn't imagine playing anywhere else," he said.

"We've got an excellent core of players to take us through for the next few years, and there are a number of very talented up-and-coming players who will be involved with the side.

"I'm really excited about the next few years with the Brumbies."

Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher said Chisholm was an important member of the team.

"Mark continues to improve as a player and I believe that he's just starting to enter his peak years," Fisher said.

"He's taken over running the lineout this season in Al Campbell's absence, and he's shown that he has tremendous leadership value as well as being an experienced Test footballer."

Gerrard remains a Brumbies boy

April 19, 2007

AUSTRALIA back Mark Gerrard has signed a new contract which will keep him with the Super 14 title-chasing Brumbies for a further three seasons.

It's been reported that the 24 year old was facing a pay cut from the Australian Rugby Union but he said today the decision to stay was straightforward.

"I've loved the last five years in Canberra. I love being a Brumby and I love the exciting brand of football we play here," Gerrard, who switched from New South Wales Waratahs in 2003, said.

Gerrard has enjoyed plenty of success in Canberra, most notably winning the Super 12 with the Brumbies in 2004, when he scored three tries in the final against the Crusaders.

"My game has developed out of sight as a result of being part of the Brumbies program and it just didn't make sense to go anywhere else," he said.

"While there were offers from elsewhere, I knew that my future was always with the Brumbies."

Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher welcomed Gerrard's decision, will look to him to play an increasing leadership role.

"Mark's a proven player at international level but I believe his best football is still to come," Fisher said.

"He's a quality footballer who has the best instincts in the game of any Australian player."

AAP