Departing duo keeps job in focus

By Wayne Smith
April 25, 2007

HAVING played side by side throughout the history of Super rugby, it's hardly surprising that George Gregan and Steve Larkham share identical emotions as they prepare for their final home match for the Brumbies.

Australia's most successful Super team will farewell its final two remaining foundation players, along with 109-game veteran Jeremy Paul, when the Brumbies play the Crusaders at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

The emotion of the occasion promises to be overwhelming - for everyone but Gregan and Larkham.

"I understand there's going to be a lot of emotion but at the moment, it's just another game," Gregan, who has turned out in more Super rugby games than other player in history, figuring in 133 of the 145 the Brumbies have played, said.

"This is all-important for us if we're to keep our season on track.

"From my perspective, I want to make sure we have a good night and then have something to celebrate afterwards."

Larkham, Australia's second most-capped Super rugby player, with 113, echoed those sentiments.

"I think it will be a sad occasion but first we've got a little bit of work to do," Larkham said.

"I know there's going to be some ceremony after the game, but we've got to stay focused."

Larkham is delighted that his last game in Canberra will be against the competition favourite, with him directly marking the player most critics consider has succeeded him as the best five-eighth in the world, Dan Carter.

"Well, at least we won't get overconfident," Larkham said.

"Everyone will throw themselves into this match. If we don't win, we're out."

While his last Brumbies match in Canberra promises to be one to remember, Larkham cannot say the same applies to the first, against Transvaal on March 5, 1996, when he played at outside centre.

"I remember the first play I was involved in," Larkham said.

"I was the decoy runner but Springbok centre Japie Mulder smashed me in the mouth and almost knocked me out cold.

"So I'm a bit fuzzy from then onwards except that for the rest of the match my sole focus was getting him back."

For most people, the image of Larkham on the rampage is far more amusing than terrifying, but Gregan isn't laughing.

"He's got a split personality," Gregan said of his halves partner in a world-record 72 Tests for Australia.

"He can get angry, all right.

"The quiet ones are always the most dangerous."

Gregan will link with French second-division side Toulon after the Rugby World Cup but Larkham is uncontracted at this stage.