Thread: Good reason for our own Stadium

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Good reason for our own Stadium

From todays West Australian

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=26239

Clubs to get rugby cash

17th April 2007, 7:00 WST

The WA Football Commission will use profits generated from rugby union matches at Subiaco Oval to fund a series of improvements to WAFL grounds following a major review of facilities throughout the State.

And money from the new pool will also be allocated to help alleviate a shortage of playing fields and facilities that threaten the rapid growth of the game.

Six WAFL clubs have applied for grants from the new $500,000 development facilities fund, with Claremont and Perth seeking to upgrade their lighting so they can stage night matches.

Over the past 12 months the WAFC, with the help of the Department of Sport and Recreation, has carried out an extensive review of football facilities in WA and the results indicate the metropolitan area and State’s South-West might not have enough grounds to meet demand over the next 15 years.

The WAFC estimates participation levels will rise by 10,000 players in the nine WAFL districts and the South-West region by 2021. Yet an audit has revealed one in three senior and junior clubs consider they already don’t have enough ovals for training and matches.

Following the appointment of Geoff Glass as WAFC director of facilities and planning last year, football’s governing body has worked with State government departments and local councils, especially those on the edges of the metropolitan area, to release more land on which full size ovals can be constructed. “In certain areas we are (running out of grounds),” Glass said yesterday.

“One of the simple ways that can be overcome is by providing lights. Here we have a winter sport and it gets dark by 5.30pm and the grounds aren’t being utilised.

“Particularly in the youth market there is a push for games to be played in the evening. You have changes in the work force and people’s availability on the Saturday afternoon isn’t like what it used to be.

“Also, property is sold as a lifestyle and the land that is set aside for public open space become lakes, drains and passive walking areas. Where once there might have been 10 per cent of land set aside for sports fields the reality is it is significantly less.

“Football, in putting forward its case for new facilities, is doing so from a base that is well researched and substantial. It is not just a wish list or a case of thumping the table — it is based on fact.”

Glass said the WAFC was also in discussions with the Department of Education about the use of school grounds for football outside of the normal classroom hours.

But the report concluded that one in four schools did not have an oval big enough to stage a football match.

Under the facilities strategic plan, the WAFC has devised a series of minimum standards for WAFL, senior club and junior grounds, such as playing dimensions, undercover seating, change rooms and car parking. The WAFC hopes each WAFL ground can become a centre of excellence for its respective zone.

Claremont and Perth have each applied for $45,000 to improve lights at their grounds while Subiaco and East Perth have requested about a third of the $100,000 cost to overhaul media facilities at Medibank Stadium.

East Fremantle have also sought $15,000 from the fund to assist in a master plan study of the future of East Fremantle Oval, which also includes financial input by DSR and the Town of East Fremantle.

The new Noranda Regional Sporting Complex is set to receive $34,000 to be put towards the cost of lights at its two football ovals.

The strategic plan identified that for each year Perth’s annual population increases by 25,000 people in the developing suburbs, about 1000 more footballers will emerge and will need five new grounds on which to play.
    ROSS LEWIS

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    why doesnt the force get the money from there matches or is it part of a deal to use subi?

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    WAFC

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah - I read that. Talk about rubbing it in! The bastards.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I'm all for helping out the non-elite levels in sport and schools but that's ridiculous. RugbyWA should get at least a sizeable chunk of the money to help grow rugby in WA

vCash

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea
    WAFC
    What does the 'F' stand for?

vCash
    what does it stand for

w.a football c? or am i way off

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    My understanding would be that the "profit" referred to would be the money they make from the "rent" RugbyWA pay for the use of the ground on the night.

As such RugbyWA still make a profit (assuming we continue to get bot-bots on seats that is [it'll be interesting to see what the super-software does to bot-bot!!]) I think they pay something like (but don't quote me - haha) $250K a game. If the crowd is 25,000 at an average ticket cost of $50 thats $1.5M so the profit for RugbyWA is still there and the WAFC gets the rent for the use of "their" (and thats the crux of this little problem) ground.

vCash
    OK so the WAFC is the landlord and RWA and anyone else who plays there pays rent. Do WCE and FFC pay rent? I suppose so but seeing how they are both owned by the WAFC that would make little difference.

I don't think the WAFC actually owns Subi Oval though. I'm sure I remember the late Wally Foreman lamenting that fact, compared to the SANFL which owns Footy Park in Adelaide.

I also seem to remember the State Government stepping in and facilitating the formation of the WAFC because football here was in very dire straits financially at the time??

Anyone remember how the WAFC ended up the landlord at Subi? Am I right that they don't actually own it? If so it would seem an injustice if part of my ticket price is spent to develop football.

Last edited by shasta; 18-04-07 at 09:13.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93
    what does it stand for

w.a football c? or am i way off
    WAFC is the Western Australian Football Commission who run the WAFL ! Kind of like how RugbyWA runs the rugby franchise in WA which happen to be the Force!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I am a WAFL fan so I am not to worried that my money is going to help out the WAFL grounds, but I can see why people would be annoyed, I saw this in yesterday's paper.

However the Dockers and Eagles pay about 1.5 million a year on ground hire for the game.

The Subiaco Town Council owns the ground, but it is leased to the WAFC for $1 per year.

Thus its peppercon lease arrangements, and they own the stadium outright.

WAFC also own the Dockers and Eagles.

I still want our new stadium.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    I still want our new stadium.
    so do i. i want the thing that was promised by the state government in late 2005 when we were applying for a s14 side

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    If so it would seem an injustice if part of my ticket price is spent to develop football.
    Yup we finance WA footy and they get a stadium for a $1 a year after the public financed it. An outrage but what do you expect.

Looks like a little bit of manoeuvring by the WAFC in preparation for the upcoming stadium battle. In the political terminology I think it would be classed as spin.

Just happy to be here

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    so do i. i want the thing that was promised by the state government in late 2005 when we were applying for a s14 side
    The Force rejected that government promise, and for good reason.

They where promised a 22,000 seat stadium...the Force rejected it and now we have a stalemate.

But it is a mistake to say the Government has gone back on a promise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast