Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good reason for our own Stadium

Champion
    vCash
    oh ok, didnt realise that. but 22, 000 seat stadium thats an insult to Rugby in WA is it not?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    oh ok, didnt realise that. but 22, 000 seat stadium thats an insult to Rugby in WA is it not?
    They did not expect that they would get the averages they did at the time. So Rugby WA where ecstatic at the time when the state government said it would give them a MES upgrade if the Force where given a Super 14 License.

Once you got 15,000 members in a week, Rugby WA did not want a bar of it.

But the Force are not going to accept anything under 30,000 and the State Government does not want anything over 25,000 at the moment.

I think we should get the 30,000 especially with the sustained crowds this year, but it might take a few years to 'prove' to a government whose incompetence with stadium funding is ludicrous.

Lets hope the State Government passes legislation in parliament to overtake the WAFC, as effectively the WAFC is a state government owned committee, despite having no power from the government within their ranks.

Champion
    vCash
    so in other words... untill rugby proves itself in this state. nothing will happen with the a new stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    so in other words... untill rugby proves itself in this state. nothing will happen with the a new stadium?
    Not quite Pruc, until RugbyWA proves that the business model for a 35000 seat rectangular stadium won't cause any political friction for the sitting government, we don't have a hope.

It'snot really about keeping rugby fans happy, it's about being able to stand up in the next election and say 'we've done a great job governing this state' and have the majority of voters NOT yell bull#2's!

Testing Coaches anti swear software!

it didn't work

Last edited by Burgs; 18-04-07 at 13:39. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    oh ok. politics and psort dont mix well

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    The Force rejected that government promise, and for good reason.

They where promised a 22,000 seat stadium...the Force rejected it and now we have a stalemate.

But it is a mistake to say the Government has gone back on a promise.
    That's news to me....we were promised $20m towards the MES upgrade from my recolection. I don't remember a promise of a 22000 seater stadium and don't remember any rejection of an offer. Although I am a bit hazy at the moment Egan.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    That's news to me....we were promised $20m towards the MES upgrade from my recolection. I don't remember a promise of a 22000 seater stadium and don't remember any rejection of an offer. Although I am a bit hazy at the moment Egan.

Basically the government set aside $20 odd mill to upgrade ME stadium to 22k seats and upgrade lighting etc for the Western Force to be ready for 2007 season. Although RugbyWA hasnt rejected the funding with the enormous support and amount of members The Force attracted in its first year it is really not feasible to play home games at ME stadium anymore!!! Originally RugbyWA had budgeted for 4000 members in its inaugral year so the ME option was a feasible one. But with the masive support The Force have gained a bigger stadium is obviously required. I think RugbyWA would gladly accept 20 mill in financial support from the govt but just not for ME anymore as this option can no longer sustain rugby....

My sticking point for the new 60000 seat stadium is the fact that the WAFC still want to maintain control of the venue like they have with Subi at the moment! I totally disagree with this as I feel, as I would think most west australians do, that if 400,500,600 million of our tax payer money is going to be invested into this project I want to see the govt or a independent body control the venue! AT least then a fair system can be developed for use of all sports at the venue not just a good deal for AFL and other sports end up supporting AFL aswell! I would much rather see 250,000 a game of RugbyWA's rent money go to the govt not WAFC which can be used for supporting grass roots sport on a equal basis!!!

oh well that my weekly rant

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Basically, the Force (and ARU) rent the ground from the WAFC. Even though the property is owned and paid for by the State ... the WAFC has the overall lease (at peppercorn rate) so they can make money to give to AFL and WAFL clubs.

I suppose it keeps some drug baron in funds.. (ha ha)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A little Devils Advocating too, to be fair to the WAFC the arrangement agreed on was with the "knowledge" that the Force was only to be at Subiaco for a couple of years, so we were a guest rather than a resident.
    The WAFC have a job to do in looking after their own so I don't think we should be expecting any favours, at the end of the day we are a competitor for their talent pool.

That said, it stinks and I want a 45k mini Suncorp

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    love the suncorp!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    so we were a guest rather than a resident.

The WAFC have a job to do in looking after their own so I don't think we should be expecting any favours, at the end of the day we are a competitor for their talent pool.
    I know you said "devils advocate" but.. rant mode on...Those points would be valid IF the WAFC actually owned the ground.

If the figure quoted, $250,000 per match, is clear profit it amounts to $2 million in just this year if you include the Test. Yet Egan claims the two AFL clubs pay $1.5 mil per year and they pay that money to their owning body! They then use Rugby funds to develop their game. That is absolutely outrageous if it's right. It's bloody close to extortion.

The Town of vincent may lease Subi to them at a pepercorn rate but it is highly discriminatory for them to then allow the WAFC to profit from other "not for profit" sports. I doubt the WAFC paid anything for the last upgrade at Subi - ??? Egan.

If this "peppercorn" lease is to continue the Town of Vincent should demand that Rugby be treated equally. If they don't then they are party to it and should be targetted.

Senior Player
    vCash
    The Town of vincent may lease Subi to them at a pepercorn rate but it is highly discriminatory for them to then allow the WAFC to profit from other "not for profit" sports. I doubt the WAFC paid anything for the last upgrade at Subi - ??? Egan.

I doubt the WAFC paid anything for the last upgrade at Subi - ??? Egan.
    Actually the last redevelopment was entirely funded by the WAFC, but once they got into financial difficulty (due to the poor form of the Dockers and Eagles) they went running to the government and they paid out the loan for the last redevelopment.

SW Rugby, I do not know whether you have inside knowledge or not, but the 35,000 seat stadium could be at Members Equity or at another site. The other site seems to have got a few people in action to formulate a facility.

until RugbyWA proves that the business model for a 35000 seat rectangular stadium won't cause any political friction for the sitting government, we don't have a hope.
    True, stadia development in Perth is very rare and at the moment due to under funding in the past, everybody is wanting their venue to be developed, but you have the state government that is not even fully commiting itself to building the 60,000 seat stadium.

You will find that the Major Stadia Taskforce wants this managed independently and not with the Football Commission in charge, the problem is the WAFC are reluctant to commit to the stadium unless they are the major tenant...and the stadia is not viable if Football does not commit.

Alas the Major Stadia Taskforce Press Conference should be out soon.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    hate to be go back on things but....answer or not egan?

Just happy to be here

Senior Player
    vCash
    I thought SW Rugby gave you your answer?

The redevelopment of MES would have been completed if the Force had of accepted a 22-25,000 seat facility.

The Government promised them a 22,000 facility, the Force then progressed to wanting a 25,000 seat facility then it went to 35,000 as their crowd potential became known.

The government kept to its guns and said, it will wait a few years before commiting to 35,000 which is what the taskforce has said.

It was a promise in order for the Force to get the Super 14 bid. The Government is waiting upon the Major Stadia Taskforce recommendations on what they should do with MES, when negotiations with interested parties continued to stale mate.

In the end there is a lot of things that have happened, but things will get clarified by the Major Stadia Taskforce and whether the Government acts on it or defies it. It is not the end of the road if the Major Stadia Taskforce does not recommend a 35,000 seat rectangular stadium.

My feeling is though that PBL are very interested in forking out some cash to build one at Burswood (Personal view).

This is not to promote myself, but so people can get more knowledge of the rectangular facility (have posted them all before) here is my links of all the MES articles I have done dating back to 2004, which includes some of the problems tenants have had with Allia Holdings etc etc. It might give the local taskforce of this site some added information on their stadium initiative.

Good luck with the plans for that, any help you need, will be happy to help.

Here is the link for those who are interested. http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/s...news.php?id=92

Last edited by Egan; 18-04-07 at 23:43. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Just so we don't continue to confuse anyone

Subi Oval = City of Subiaco = WAFC

M.E.S. = Town of Vincent = Allia Holdings (Mr Chicken Treat)

Interseting that Mr Chicken Treat has sold all his stores in WA for (it was front page this week, not sure if figure is right? please correct if wrong) some $18 million!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast