Thread: Western Australian Rugby Centre of Excellence

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Australian Rugby Centre of Excellence

Yesterday's West:

"Selling the Expertise"

The Western Force are looking to partner the WA Insitute of Sport in establishing a rugby centre of excellence when the sport moves from Perry Lakes to nearby AK Reserve.
    Rugby's new headquaters will be next to Challenge Stadium, home of WAIS, and th intention is to form a high-performance training unit to be used by players and teams from South-East Asia.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    sounds good now all we need is a home ground more suited to Rugby

vCash
    Hopefully more suiting to our lads than the existing facilities

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perry Lakes is a great location but the facilities are all pretty much shot now.
    Sounds like a great idea to me to be looking a bit bigger picture for the use of our facilities.
    Perhaps even the likes of Samoa can come over for an extra week if that is going to be an annual match to get some solid 21st Century training in first?
    With a bigger elite target audience then better/more gear can be justified which hopefully in turn means more available for our State Age Group Squads and School/Club development programs too.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    i lyk perry lakes. ever since i was a little boy ive wanted to play at rugby park. yes so what itmaybe getting to the end of its time. its still the orginal home of WA rugby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unfortunately, as I understand it, it is soon to be the home of a few hundred families when it gets redeveloped so you better get training if you are to realise your dream pruc

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Before anyone calls a sporting ground or arena a "Centre of Excellence", I implore them to visit the "WA Centre of Football Excellence" at Medibank Sandpi...Stadium and try to experience the 'excellence' there.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Unfortunately, as I understand it, it is soon to be the home of a few hundred families when it gets redeveloped so you better get training if you are to realise your dream pruc
    i am. tryouts for regionals next week. i swear every forward trying out is a loosie though

Rookie
    vCash
    Has anyone heard what's happenning with the Perth Gold side this year? I have heard whispers that the Japanese tour is off now , along with participation in the interstate comp.Does this spell the death of any real chance W.A Club players have playing Rep games?
    2007 sees Aust Rugby lurching from one disaster to another, best they get back to looking out for the grass roots of the game instead of fighting over the inflated ego's and paypackets of the few who owe more to the game than they care to remember.

Champion
    vCash
    no perth gold team this year. because all the good gold players would not be ametuer anymore because of being in the force academy. am i right?

Rookie
    vCash
    What's the difference from last year? I'm sure I read on some forum that there was a team to be selected from the Challenge Cup series.
    If you're right Pruc there will be some disappointed players who aspire to play rep rugby , when the only other rep side, the ARC team is selected , I'm guessing ,mainly of players who haven't played a single game in the HBS comp.

vCash
    One would think that the demise of the Perth Gold team would be counter productiveto the stated aim of the ARC, that being to introduce a new level of competition to players interested in playing elite rugby. Surely adding ARC and removing Perth Gold is increasing the standard of play of the current second-tier competition.

I'll have to have a chat to Willi at training and see what the good oil is!

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash

Australian Rugby Shield 2007

Australian Rugby Shield

The Vikings players celebrate with the Australian Rugby Shield
    The Australian Rugby Shield (ARS) is a national competition that aims to provide regional teams and developing unions with a regular schedule to compete against each other at a higher level of competition than would normally be possible in their individual states or territories.

The 2007 Australian Rugby Shield will consist of a five week round robin competition commencing on Saturday, 5 May and culminating on Saturday, 2 June 2007. The winner will be declared as first-past- the-post after the completion of the round robin competition. There will be no Semi-Finals or a Final.

The 2007 ARS competition will include the following teams:

Adelaide Black-Falcons
    DarwinMosquitoes
    MelbourneAxemen
    NSW Country Cockatoos
    QLD Country Heelers, and
    Tassie Jack Jumpers.

http://www.rugby.com.au/fixtures_res...eld,44475.html

no Perth Gold i think Perth Gold has been replaced by the Spirit. Because RugbyWa is no longer an ametuer organisation. it is a profesional one. the part i highlighted indicated the reason why there is no Perth Gold. because Rugby in Wa have

- The Spirit
    - Western Force Gold
    - Western Force

thats how i read it. any other comments?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My understanding is that we have been out of the ARS (along with the Vikings) since the start of the year.
    However, there was to be a Perth Gold XV (effectively our old state XV) selected from the RugbyWA Challenge Cup to tour Japan in July.
    GIGST has suggested he can find out more from the Rocky and Gold Coach, Willie Van Dyke at training tonight.
    Now we are hopefully all up to speed....
    My opinion is that if the ARU are serious about developing the standard of WA Rugby they should still include some involvement from this State in the ARS.
    Perhaps a Rep XV from the A Grade Clubs would better suit the competition? There are still teams from Queensland and New South Wales, even if they are Country XV's.
    Regardless of what format, they should be doing all they can to see WA based Rugby Players getting a run at higher levels IMHO.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    be interesting to find out whats happening. not much communication by RugbyWa