Thread: Force go down to Chiefs in 100-point try-feast

vCash

Force go down to Chiefs in 100-point try-feast

The Waikato Chiefs ran in nine tries to beat the Western Force 64-36 in a highly entertaining Super 14 match in Hamilton, New Zealand on Saturday.

Winger Roy Kinikinilau and replacement scrum half Brendon Leonard claimed hat-tricks to help keep the Chiefs' semi-final hopes alive and hit the Perth-based team's chances of reaching the playoffs.
    The Australian side started brightly and scored the first try when lock Nathan Sharpe finished off a flowing move.
    Kinikinilau grabbed the hosts' first try when he intercepted a pass and ran almost the length of the field to touch down, but fly half Matt Giteau kept the Force ahead with the first of his two tries.

The Chiefs then struck a purple patch with three quick tries to establish a 29-15 lead at half-time.

Winger Lelia Masaga, Leonard and Kinikinilau took advantage of sloppy Force defence to gallop over the line, but the Australian side maintained a foothold in the match straight after the interval with a try by winger Cameron Shepherd.

Flanker Tanera Latimer and centre Tasesa Lavea went over for Waikato, the Force hit back through full-back Drew Mitchell and Leonard grabbed his second try after breaking through a weak tackle.

Giteau produced a sublime piece of skill to jink his way over for the Force's fifth try but the Chiefs had the last word with Kinikinilau and Donald completing their hat-tricks in a frenetic end to the game.

The Chiefs climbed to fifth in the standings with three matches left, one place below a semi-final berth and one above the Force, who are fading after a bright start to their second season in the Super 14 competition.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200704/s1897293.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bugger...

vCash
    Waaah! I thought we were in with a shot, but after looking at that effort, I'm going to be betting aganst the boys just to get my vcash back.

Where were the forwards at the breakdown?

C'mon the

vCash
    Damn! Good game but we were relentlessly punished for mostly silly mistakes e.g. Shepherd's cut-out pass that was intercepted and Giteau's inside pass to Mitchell that resulted in a turnover. Our first-up defence still needs a bit more work and i think the team will be disappointed with the way their tour is going. With that said, we live to fight another day and the Brumbies match next week becomes absolutely crucial!! However, win lose or draw from here on in, im already impressed by the improvement on last year's results. Some people may feel that they could've done this and could've done that this year but there's plenty of time to dominate.........we're only in our second year of existence so keep up the good work boys!!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkizaWWE
    ... im already impressed by the improvement on last year's results....
    Absolutely, no question, but as JM has said we are hoping to see continual improvement. That more than anything made that a hard game to watch. Last week the Force were outplayed in every aspect of the game and got to see just what they can aspire to be in execution and attitude. Fair play, although as supporters we would also need to work on our well meaning condescension - the Crusaders fans are masters. This week.....

...I don't know, it was a strange old game not assisted by a rabid bell ringing Chiefs fanatic sitting next to me that I was not allowed to throw over the balcony 'cos he's my bloody brother and I'm staying at his place. But strange passing decisions and all aside, as I saw it the game was lost at the tackle pure and simple. Not the number of broken tackles so much, but in all of the tackles. Personal opinion, but they just appeared limp and clingy - so hard to reconcile with the team that were so organised and laid so many dominant tackles only two weeks ago. Where it went, I don't know, but the hammering, in your face defence that was a feature of the Force's play in the first half of the season would have had that game. It all just feels very odd - still, silver lining, the Sharks did the Blues and we did the Sharks...

vCash

Thumbs up

...and there I was thinking Mitch's new backline line-up was to shore up the defence!

...on a related point, I had to leave home mid-2nd half to go to my game and tuned in to 90.5 for the first time ever, only to hear a bunch of ads. But then they came back to tell us they'd had technical problems and were broadcasting using a mobile phone.

I would like to give top marks to the pommy bloke calling the game - his descriptions were excellent and I knew almost exactly what was going on all the way through. Really really well done guys