Thread: Wallabies should use Johns as guru: Gregan

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wallabies should use Johns as guru: Gregan

Wallabies should use Johns as guru: Gregan

Rupert Guinness
    Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wallabies captain George Gregan believes the Australian Rugby Union should use the footballing brain of Andrew Johns by signing the retired Newcastle league star as a consultant for this year's World Cup campaign.

Gregan, like many, was saddened to hear Johns had been forced to end his playing career on Tuesday due to a neck injury. But he feels it would be "silly" for the Wallabies to not consider the value of having him on board as a consultant for the domestic Test series, Tri Nations and World Cup.

"If he was in a position [to] and he is going to add value and the guys wanted to hear from him, you would be silly not to," Gregan told the Herald yesterday. He was speaking at the launch of Project 88, a fund-raising auction of land at Sanctuary Cove, with proceeds going to the George Gregan Foundation, which supports ill children.

Gregan finds it interesting that Johns has already been tapped for his football nous by rugby parties outside Australia, citing as an example All Blacks halfback Piri Weepu, who trained with the Newcastle Knights in the pre-season.

"I caught up with Piri in South Africa. He loved that experience. I know he has done stuff with Wales," Gregan said. "The All Blacks have probably utilised him more than us, which sounds really strange. But he is an immense talent. He has a real strong eye for the game. A lot of what he does crosses over to what we do. It has been evidenced by the [rugby league] guys who have made the transition."

The Brumbies No.9 and holder of a world record 127 Test caps rues the ARU's failure to recruit Johns as a player in 2005. And had Johns joined the Waratahs, he would by now almost certainly have played for the Wallabies.

"It would have been nice to see him come. I am just saying that because I loved watching him play and what he brings with his skill set," Gregan said.

"It is kind of like watching when 'Stevie' Larkham plays. When you see those quality players and they are on song … who knows what would have happened? I would imagine [he would have played for the Wallabies]. He would have been a 10 or 12. He is a very important player [with a] great kicking game, great pass.

"[He is a] tough defender, a smart footballer. That crosses over both codes with his space awareness, knowing where to put people, organising, communicating. But we'll never know."

Johns was always sincere in his interest in union, Gregan said. "He loves this game. I know that." But he agrees with most that Johns made the right call to retire. "He has a his life ahead of him. We are all going to miss him. But he has made the right decision," said Gregan, whose career will end when he fulfils a six-month contract with second division French club Toulon after the World Cup.

Yet before his French sojourn Gregan has one final Super 14 campaign to complete - and his fourth-placed Brumbies are hitting their straps after winning their past three games, including last Sunday's fixture against the Waratahs.

The Brumbies have a bye this weekend. But for Saturday night's NSW-Reds derby for the wooden spoon, Gregan has no doubt about the problem, besides injuries, both teams face: inexperience that "comes through in pressure games".

And inevitably, Gregan says, that digs deep into the reserves of self-confidence.

"Confidence is a funny thing. When you lose it, it's hard to get back," he said. "And when you've got it, it is a great thing. But you have to tap into it and hold on to it for as long as you can. Both those teams have lost that confidence."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    W......why?

vCash
    Because Scott Johnson should be tortured for crimes against backline play ?

To the extreme !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice
    Because Scott Johnson should be tortured for crimes against backline play ?
    Sounds like he won't be the only one getting tortured if they bring Johns in.

vCash
    They should just bite the bullet and make Bernie backline coach. He effectively was the coach for Eddie's final couple of years. Would be nice to see some slick set piece moves again.

To the extreme !

vCash
    Agreed, based on last week it's obvious he still knows what he's doing. None of this using him at 12 crap.

vCash
    I agree, that was certainly an inspired choice. "Let's try playing the world's best No 10 at 12, the world's best 12 at 9 and a second-rate league convert at 10, that'll work!"

Maybe Knuckles and Scotty have been spending too much time with Benny Cousins

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    W......why?
    The current Wallaby captain and half of the Gregan/Larkham combo that's served Oz rugby so admirably , a vastly more experienced man than any of us thinks it's "value".

The question should be why not?

Unless, of course, you just automatically rule out all mungos.

Wait, can't do that. There'd be too many teams wothout a defense coach.

vCash
    If this 5 metre offside rule ever gets brought in, I could see some value in it.

and yes, I tend to automatically rule out mungos. It's a character flaw of mine.

-EDIT- Have you seen our defense this year? Yeah rugby lite coaches are worth their weight in gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian

and yes, I tend to automatically rule out mungos. It's a character flaw of mine.
    Glad you don't get to make those sorts of decisions then, Sage.

And yes it seems so.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If I was a pro Union player I would pay to hear what Joey had to say.
    To think he has nothing to offer an elite athlete of a very similar sport is a tad ignorant I'm sorry.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    More than happy to take that on board.

vCash
    he would be a great coach for the walibies and it would be a huge boost for them. he is an expert at things like passing and finding gaps and he could teach them thigns like how to win 2v3 and he would be a great defencive coach.

i dont see why not.

vCash
    I believe he could offer the game valuable info regarding attacking plays, and being able to read the play and make instinctive decisions...Something i believe we are certainly all lacking at the moment...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....