Thread: Misquoted again...

vCash

Misquoted again...

This on the Rugbyheaven website:

Quote of the day
    "I don't think you can ever write off a Wallaby side. I may be a little bit biased, but I think come World Cup we can be a good force."
    MATT GITEAU.
    I am sure Gits meant that to be Force with a capital F...surely he was giving selection hints?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He's got a point, i think! Personally, I think the Wallabies would do much better if they got rid of the older and always-injured players and bred some fresh blood into their team. It seems to me that they're too afraid to show some players the door and give opportunities to other players. For example, they should've taken mostly (if not all) less-experienced players on the spring tour to give them that exposure and make them more hungry to want to be a part of the wallabies! But, that's just my opinion...........

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree with you in principle Skiz however it does bring up two points.

The John Connolly inherited Wallabies I believe were too close to World Cup time to go for a major makeover, that should have been happening under Eddie Jones and is certain to occur (with both retirements and enforced demotions) by whoever takes over from Knuckles.
    This will give a four year cycle for the "New Wallabies" to build as a unit.
    I doubt we will ever see the likes of a Gregan or Larkham career again, apart from absolute super star players like Giteau.

The second point which comes up is our old favourite from last year "What's the value of a Test Cap"?
    Should the Spring Tour Wallabies be just development driven with players who aren't even in your best 25 or should the structures be in place so that when you pull on the Wallaby jersey you are worthy of the honour.
    Personally I tend to the later and believe we should be doing far more with the Australia "A", Australian Sevens and Australian Under 21's Squads as our breeding ground, in concert obviously with our S14 Squads.

I'm confident that Post WC we will see many changes and a new wave of Wallaby coming to get some parity with your beloved AB's

Don't think I'm having a go though Skiz, just that hindsight is a wonderful thing too.
    I probably expressed my thoughts better here: http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=6505

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I know you're not having a go Burgs! I think you're right that this should've happened (or begun to have happen) under Jones (a long time ago) but that it is far too late now and that it will almost certainly happen post world cup. I understand your second point too. In that case maybe Australia 'A' and the u/21's should go on the spring tour as well or instead.....or something to that effect?

Thanks for the feedback!!