Thread: Second XV

vCash

Second XV

With all the current speculation about who's going where, who's not happy where they are etc I got to thinking what could Oz S14 teams do to keep their players interested.

The ARC will go some way to helping but there's no doubt plenty of players are feeling entirely frustrated with their lot at present.

Why not play "2nd XV' curtain raisers at all Oz derbies, including academy and club players?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    My thoughts exactly. The AFL do it well with the Reserve Grade in Victoria.

vCash
    Cost would be the big prohibiter...

so unless News or other sponsors would kick in between 50% - 100% of the current cost of competition over and above what they already spend it is unlikely that it would get off the ground for the entire S14 competition...

perhaps local derbies might be different, with each country putting up two teams when they play their own countrymen might be achievable, but my thoughts are keeping 44 players and their coaching staffs on the road in South Africa for three weeks would make it unachievable in the current format.

This is especially the case when we consider that News are unhappy with the fall in TV ratings and crowd numbers this year...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah agree that it is needed but, as with blindsid3, I think it could only financially be for the derbies.
    They pretty much do already as you often see the three Eastern States sides have played against one another during the Super 14.
    Also recall David Lyons coming back from injury playing for the Tahs A's v Victoria.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was only really on about matches in Australia. The ARU could maybe contribute towards any transport costs in the name of development.

It would be cheaper than that Force Gold trip to ZA?

Champion
    vCash
    would b good if it happened!

vCash
    I think the reserves should have 1 game a month every month of the year it would be great and i would certinly go and watch it in the off season. because there is 4 teams they could play each team 4 times in the year.