Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Sharks version of events

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The Sharks version of events

Sharks fail to stamp authority

Sharks website,
    Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 15:13

In a game in which the Sharks could and should have won, the Western Force punished them with the boot, running out 22-12 victors in Perth on Friday in the Vodacom Super 14.

It may have been an auspicious occasion for Butch James and Warren Britz, playing in their 50th games, but it was a game they will both wish to forget as the Sharks dropped into third place and the Force rose to second.

Dick Muir went for a very mobile loose forward trio in Bobby Skinstad, Ryan Kankowski and Jacques Botes, with the former Springbok Captain getting his first start for the Sharks, having played his previous matches off the bench, this after shifting AJ Venter from flank to lock as Johan Ackermann was pulled out with a bout of flu, and Bradley Barritt failed a late fitness test, replaced by Grant Rees.

The first half was characterised by some erratic play from the Sharks who showed glimpses of sublime play, but threw away a number of opportunities with poor finishing. It was a fairly ordinary half from a team who set high standards for themselves.

With four kickable penalties all taken, Ruan Pienaar had a 50% success rate, with one attempt he felt was true, but the poles were too short to confirm and the TJs turned it down.

If there was one player in the Sharks side who stood out, it was JP Pietersen who couldn’t set a foot wrong. He followed each kick-off, making tackles of the catcher and ensuring the Force were under pressure each time.

The Force would have been happy to welcome back Matt Giteau from injury. The diminutive, but dangerous player (the most expensive in Australian rugby history) set up the only try of the game when he jinxed through a couple of tackles and offloaded to birthday boy Cameron Shephard who scored.

The Sharks certainly had their fair share of possession and good attacking ball, but somehow they couldn’t maintain the continuity. The forwards fronted up, and again defence was outstanding – in one case the Force were forced back a good 15 metres on their own attack as they tried, without success, to make something happen.

By the end of the half, the Sharks trailed by a converted try, having enjoyed good ball, but not good finishing in a game that was fairly open, both sides playing an attacking style of rugby.

Last year the Sharks ran out 41-25 winners in Durban, but there was no way they were going to emulate that feat as they just battled to find their rhythm and just when momentum was building, they would find themselves having to start afresh.

It was a game that both sides played with a lot of boot, and while neither side really won that little battle, it was what they did with the ball afterwards that really dictated how the game would end.

Sadly, the Sharks were made to pay for their indiscipline, earning two yellow cards in the process and Matt Giteau punished them with three second half penalties, while Francois Steyn kept them in the hunt with a 55m drop, and Ruan Pienaar a penalty to go with his two first half efforts.

But this is a game the Sharks probably lost more so than the Force winning it. When the forwards mauled the ball up through a series of pick and drives a good 15 metres to within a sniff of the tryline, the question had to be asked: ‘why not more and not earlier?’

At that stage, in the dying seconds of the game, a try would have earned the Sharks a bonus point. With Warren Britz getting his marching orders from coming in from the side in the 22 minutes earlier, the Force were lucky to get away with two players entering a ruck form the side to kill the Sharks attack and the game was over.

John Smit paid tribute to the Western Force afterwards, saying how it is a “phenomenon the way this team has come up in one year. We kept trying to get out of our half, but they had our number. We probably played incorrectly at times, they stopped us today, maybe we played too much rugby, while they played Test rugby.

“The yellow cards were frustrating and unforgivable; when the chips are down you need to tighten things up.”

Western Force captain Nathan Sharpe admitted that “The boys stayed focused, and it shows the character in the side. There was a lot of kicking, but we have a very skillful side. I don’t think the plan that the Sharks put together really worked.

“After half time, we rallied together, knew we needed a good second half; we regrouped, built up territory and possession and added the points. It was a good litmus test for us against the Sharks and we passed it.”

Scorers:

Sharks: 12 (6):
    Penalties: Ruan Pienaar (3)
    Drops: Steyn (1)

Western Force: 22 (13)
    Tries: Cameron Shephard
    Conversions: Matt Giteau (1)
    Penalties: Matt Giteau (5)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think you can put the"bad handling" on both side down to some punishing tackles.....its a wonder there werent more injuries..but there will be some pretty sore bodies this morning

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think the Sharks had every opportunity to win, I thought we had a better defensive effort by far.

Will be interesting to see how we go in Christchurch next week...the real litmus test.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Here's the link if you want to read the fans opinions below the article: http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/default...25&des=article

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think a highly physical encounter is a perfect warm up for the big one against the crusaders, and it shows our defence is working well, which is definately an asset when you are playing the kiwis at home...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Hopefully the saders one should be a good game! Would've been great to spend easter watching the force overseas. My family over in ChCh has the chance to watch the Force and what are they doing? Going down to Twizel for a holiday and to think we sent them some vodafone force banners to wave!

vCash
    I didn't see the game but two of my pet peeves and in my mind statements of losers:

We lost the game they didn't beat us.

Give me a friggin break. Most professional games can go either way.

"But this is a game the Sharks probably lost more so than the Force winning it"

The other statement I can't handle is: "The refs cost us the game"

vCash
    Translation anyone?

more almal, wat se hartseer dag vir SA Rugby, Ek dink nog steeds dat DM vir warren britz nou maar kan drop, ons het outjies wat op baie beter form is:
    Jacqeus Botes (6), AJ Venter (7) Kankowski (8), en die bench Keegan Daniels en Bob. Warren Britz is te stadig. Hoekom begin Dick met Grant Rees as Adi Jacobs omtrent elke wedstryd op die bench is, ek dink hy het verdien om te begin. Dan is daar net een woord wat die sharks in die steek gelaat het en dit is DISSEPLIENE. Maar ons hou ons koppe hoog en ek weet ons gaan die Reds wen.

Most of them seem to be taking the loss quite well.....

Come the revolution, the backs will be the first to be lined up against the wall and shot for living parasitically off the work of others....

vCash
    Translation: "All Sharks supporters will be backing the Force to win the finals from now on. The Sharks players will change their outfit to baby blue with a little flower on the front because they all play like a bunch of pansies."

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    you're a shit stirrer, Goldmember :p

something about "Jacqeus Botes (6), AJ Venter (7) Kankowski (8)"
    something about - DISCIPLINE
    and I think something winning against the Reds

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And here's me thinking I couldn't read Africaans!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Don't underestimate the FORCE!!

You almost had me going with the first sentence there goldmember haha. I was thinking I'd heard of fair weather supporters but sheesh they're still at
    3rd place for cripes sake
    Wouldn't put it past some people though I suppose - I mean, take for example the asshole that sits behind Lonzy & I at Subi!!

Before the kick: "Go Giteeaauu!"
    If he got it in: "Yeeeaah Giteeeaauu - you're the man!!
    If he missed it: "Ah for **** sake you're useless Giteau! My mum could kick better than that! Go home! You're a waste of time and money! ****ing useless!!" etc etc etc

Sad really..

But I digress

I want to be unique - just like everybody else!

vCash
    ohhhhh I really wanted to smack that guy in the head

.... seriously ... terri had to hold me back!!! even ask her !!! lmao! honest!!! But every game that guy has been the biggest knob!!!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prop Star
    Translation anyone?
    If the question was serious, loosely: That sucked, so did Britz and Muir should drop him as they have better options, the Sharks have lost their discipline but keep the heads up and they'll beat the Reds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prop Star
    Translation anyone?

more almal, wat se hartseer dag vir SA Rugby, Ek dink nog steeds dat DM vir warren britz nou maar kan drop, ons het outjies wat op baie beter form is:
    Jacqeus Botes (6), AJ Venter (7) Kankowski (8), en die bench Keegan Daniels en Bob. Warren Britz is te stadig. Hoekom begin Dick met Grant Rees as Adi Jacobs omtrent elke wedstryd op die bench is, ek dink hy het verdien om te begin. Dan is daar net een woord wat die sharks in die steek gelaat het en dit is DISSEPLIENE. Maar ons hou ons koppe hoog en ek weet ons gaan die Reds wen.
    Being a man of many talents, I reckon it says something like this:

"Good Morning Everyone, what a sad day for South African Rugby. I still think that DM can release Warren Britz, we have guys in way better form that him: Jacques Botes (6), AJ Venter (7), Kankowski (8), & the bench Keegan Daniels & Bob. Warren Britz is too slow. Why does Dick start with Grant Rees if Adi Jacobs is on the bench every game, I think he deserves to start. Then there is just one word that describes the Sharks game play: DICIPLINE. But we keep our heads high & I know we are going to beat the Reds."

Trusting this is of assistance to one and all. Should any further clarification be required please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

(Sorry, I've been typing business letters this morning)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast