Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: US pushes for super 20 world series

vCash

US pushes for super 20 world series

why do yanks always gotta call there comps the world series??

very interesting

http://americanrugbynews.com/2007/03...y-world-series

US main feature of proposed global comp
    By Brian Lowe

The United States would be the backbone of a proposed Super 20 Rugby World Series. The Super 20 has been proposed as a way of growing the game among new television audiences and attracting multinational corporations to underwrite and sponsor Tier II, Tier III and surplus elite players from the top ten rugby playing nations.

The basis of the proposal is this – there would be 20 franchises from the US, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Europe, the Pacific Rim and South Africa. America would field eight of those franchises with Canada providing two; there would be one each from Argentina and Brazil, four from Europe, and two each from the Pacific Rim and South Africa. Each team would be allowed to have as many as eight import players on its roster.

It’s envisaged that the Super 20, which would start in 2008 and run from July through November, would be underwritten by media companies and other sponsors. There would also be a Challenger-in-Waiting series, or in other words, a promotion and relegation system whereby the bottom two franchises would play a home and away series against three other franchises-in-waiting to determine who would move up and who would go down every year. The Super 20 would not be played in World Cup years.

The series would be bankrolled to the tune of 60-million-dollars a year, with each franchise getting three-million-dollars per annum for player salaries, administration and transportation costs. On top of that, each governing body, such as USA Rugby, would get one-million-dollars for administration, officials, referees and marketing.

The idea is the brainchild of marketing whiz Tony McKeever, who is the past CEO of the Southern Spears Super 14 franchise in South Africa. McKeever’s background is in strategic brand marketing and positioning in the US, Canada and Mexico and he led the change in South African Airways’ corporate identity. He says that he assessed the needs for a global rugby tournament in major countries that had previously been excluded from elite rugby competitions.

“Consider for a moment the USA Super League teams and the need for them to consolidate into eight (could be 10) powerful centers of rugby with a background of 2,000 clubs,” McKeever tells ARN. “Japan, who have no annual international rugby tournaments other than the Sevens and RWC, and particularly the number of elite rugby players in Europe and South Africa that could assist the development and growth of other rugby playing countries around the world with the upskilling and coaching of rugby.

“This Super 20 Rugby World Series LLC is registered in Wilmington, DE, and will be operated out of New York where the broadcast partner, major multinational marketers, and their respective international advertising agencies are based. The main focus is the USA, specifically because the broadcaster, and especially the sponsors of the tournament and the advertisers on the television programming and stadiums, require exposure in the USA. This Super 20 Rugby World Series provides a rugby sports programming inventory for the broadcaster that is primarily based in eight major geographic areas, through 16 host metropolitan cities in densely populated areas.”

McKeever goes on to say that the estimated worldwide television audience for the Super 20 would be somewhere around 300 million based on research of the collective audiences that would receive and see images of the television broadcasts in the Americas, Europe and Asia. He says the New York-based television partner would underwrite the competition and would syndicate coverage worldwide, especially to the participating countries’ broadcasters and sponsors participating at various levels from the tournament to in-country sponsors of the Union hosting the competition.

The proposal has been sent to Boulder for perusal by USA Rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As i replied in your other post, what impact, if any, would this have on super14s, tri nations or tours,etc...?
    I cannot see it becoming a reality next year, a lot more groundwork needs to be done to establish teams, and find players and venues,etc...It will be a while yet...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Love the spirit, love a futuristic approach and especially love the DOLLARS!!!
    BUT... I can't believe that such a comp would ever work.
    It has logistics, existing competition and variable talent against it for starters.
    Also doesn't fill me with too much confidence having "the past CEO of the Southern Spears" in charge either, we all know how successfully that went
    I definately think that an "America's Cup" should be formed though with Canadian, US, Central and South American representaion at a Club level.
    Perhaps a twenty team comp with:
    US 6
    Canada 5
    Argentina 4 (To allow plenty for Super Rugby expansion)
    Uruguay 2
    Paraguay 2
    Chile 1

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Three million for salaries and transport from the Pacific Rim and SA...yep, that'll sure fly then.

vCash
    Sounds great, nice find Krusher!

BTW: The yanks only have one comp called the World Series now in baseball. Back when it started the game wasn't played anywhere else in the world so it truly was a world series.

My guess as to why they want to call this the Super 20 Rugby World Series is for $$$$.

the sponsors of the tournament and the advertisers on the television programming and stadiums, require exposure in the USA

It's a name everyone knows which would make it an easier sell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    As i replied in your other post, what impact, if any, would this have on super14s, tri nations or tours,etc...?
    probly none, i found it interesting and wanted to share

sorry for wasting your time frontrow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusher
    probly none, i found it interesting and wanted to share

sorry for wasting your time frontrow
    You misinterpreted my question, i was actually asking what impact it may have, not trying to put you down mate...Computers cannot always convey the message the right way...I meant no offence, and truly enjoyed the article, and encourage more conversation relating to it, sorry you got the wrong idea dude...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    doesn't fill me with too much confidence having "the past CEO of the Southern Spears" in charge either
    Well spotted Burgs

vCash
    ok frontrow
    i just was thinking you were getting itchy for some crouch, touch, pause engage

it will make the world cups more competitive for a start

check out this site for more info on the us comps

it runs in 3 conferences

http://www.usarugbysuperleague.com/template.php

vCash
    Anytime you want a friendly headbutt or casual uppercut, well, i'm your man up front...Or just go and crash tackle a meatworker again man...Sounds like perfect therapy to me...
    Checked that site out and am actually quite surprised how much rugby is on the cards over there, bigger than i thought...

vCash
    i was also plesently supprised when i found it myself. i was wondering why larry haddnt pointed it out

vCash
    He actually went to a game last year with his son and a mate to check it out, can't remember who he watched but i am sure he will let us know...From what i can remember he enjoyed it, even though the team he supported lost...There are some photo's in the gallery i think...

vCash
    I've even got me a team to support over there now. The Red Mountain Warthogs. With a name like that they've gotta be a class act

vCash
    iv been looking at the different clubs

NY winged foot sounds like a team for fast backs
    while the St louis Bombers or Denver Barbarians are probly more my cup o tea

vCash
    sounds crap.

i think the quality of players out of those countrys would be not very good and i dont think all the countrys already with nation comps would give up there players and teams for this.

us: there national team would do well in this comp but split that over 8 teams would not be very good and two teams will end up buying the best players. the only reason for them would be money from tv stations. would the americans be able to find enough coaching staff?

canada: they could make two ok teams.

argentina: would dominate and should have 8 teams.

brazil: would do ok but would have to do alot of scouting form argentina.

europe: good competition but they are doing well as it is they should not corrupt the leagues allready there.

pacific rim: this would be great for them and the only ones that would benifet.

south africa: cant see them having much intrest im sure there happy with just super 14.

and with that guy running it im sure it would go corrupt

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast