Thread: Timana Tahu/ Eric Grothe Junior

vCash

Timana Tahu/ Eric Grothe Junior

Well, looks like the original threads are gone.

What do you guys think about the Tahs signing Tahu? And do you seriously think they'll get Guru Junior?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good news re Tahu, what a champunisher. Grothe...maybe a bit old and the same type of player can be found in the union ranks anyway, although the ARU has washed their hands off him the NSWRU is still keen. Maybe just a Gasnier move to get a better deal from a League team.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    I'm going to have a bit of a rant about Eric here. Aside from the fact I don't think he'd make a successful transition to rugby, this might give some of you guys a bit of an insight.

As a staunch Eels fan, I have followed Eric ever since his NRL debut back in 1999 at the age of 19. He is a lovely guy, but he is a footy tragic's heart break. A lot of people will say the same thing about him in that he's never really reached his footballing potential. He started off with the Eels in blockbusting style, bustling runs and amazing speed and size. He got selected for the NSW in 2000 I think after playing just 9 first grade games. The pressure was too much for him and he pulled out with a mystery injury. He didn't play another game until 2002 when he signed with the Roosters. It was rumoured that he struggled with motivation and was distracted with things outside of football, which saw him only play 4 first grade matches in 2 years with the Roosters. The Eels threw him another life line in 2004 where he has come back and started to focus a bit more on his footy, his form started to improve, and he finally made his debut for NSW in 2006, 6 years after he was first selected. Even though he is playing good footy at the moment, you still get the feeling he has more in the tank than what he puts in. He is known at the club for being lazy at training, and when he gets injured, he is usually out for the maximum amount of time, for example, he injured his ankle in a trial about a month ago which was considered a 2 week injury, and he will be making his come back next week if we're lucky, which is 5 weeks since it happened.

As I said, he is a really good bloke, and the Grothe's are a nice family, but EGJ is one of those guys who plays footy so he can retire if that makes sense.

<end rant>

vCash
    Nicely put i reckon, and i understand what you are saying regarding him "playing to retire"...He is not in the same league as his old man, that is for sure...Like you say, he has potential, but isn't all to keen to make the effort to reach the top levels, and i am afraid he will not be of any benefit to NSWRU, and possibly end up down the same road as sailor or rogers...Stick with the eels mate, i love supporting you in my team so stay there and regain your passion for league so the eels can once again win a premiership, it has been too long...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Pity they didn't go after grothe before the tahs recorded their vodafone song...

vCash
    I've got my doubts about Timana Tahu. He's not really showed he can cut it as a centre so I'd guess the plan is for Lote to play there and offload to him. He's never really shone since he had Matt Gidley feeding to him.

But his signing was handled well after some of the boring sagas we've endured so he gets plenty of credit there. Also it seems he's signed for the right reasons. So good luck to him and the Tahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    I've got my doubts about Timana Tahu. He's not really showed he can cut it as a centre so I'd guess the plan is for Lote to play there and offload to him. He's never really shone since he had Matt Gidley feeding to him.

But his signing was handled well after some of the boring sagas we've endured so he gets plenty of credit there. Also it seems he's signed for the right reasons. So good luck to him and the Tahs.
    Tahu was on the end of some specials on the wing, but since he's shifted to the centres, he never passes. He starves his winger of the ball. Now we (Parra) probably have the two most damaging wingers in the NRL outside him on either side of the park in Grothe and Hayne, but when they play outside Timana, they don't see the ball. Grothe only scored 5 tries last season. Tahu should play wing for the Tahs, don't let him near the centres.

To be fair, I hold no grudge over this but T's always been a career man, he will go where he can make the most money. It's why he came to us (the Eels) and it's why he's going to the Tahs. I do think his intentions are good though, which is why it was all done without fuss. I think he'll really put the effort in, where as someone like Grothe won't.

vCash
    TT's got his father to push him to do well at Tahs- yes on the WING cos they can't pass CR.

Do you really think Grothe's dad will support and push his son to succeed- in that alien rugby??? No way Hose- its all just a pay hike ruse- another merrygoround. Your info UTF suggests that he wouldn't be wanted by another NRL club either!

EGJ- take my advice, hook yourself up with a cushy soft playing service in Superleague England and retire till you play (guitar).

ARU should completely disregard his interest for the furphy it is, besides is he likely to play for Wallabies??? Even Exile will tell you it just aint so !

from little things, big things grow...

vCash
    I don't think Guru Snr has pushed young Eric into anything. Eric Jnr didn't play his first game of footy until he was in his late teens. Guru has gone along and supported Eric wherever he's gone so he probably wouldn't have much input into this either.

But he would be wanted by rival NRL teams as there aren't many damaging wingers around club footy.

vCash
    Bottom line is that Tahu will succeed in Ruggah given his heritage, and for the same reason EGJ won't. Its hard for RL wingers to convert to RU cos of the sporadic kicking for line. Anyone can count to five, but its more of an instinct to be ready to drop back than hold the defensive line.

Centres find it easier to convert IMHO , but the best positional player to have is a wing-3/4 who can play both and hence interchange and alter the backline shape and options. That's another reason why Tahu tick, EGJ x.

from little things, big things grow...