Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Five Million for Five Years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticBalls
    Marquis players attract all the headlines and money, whether they deserve it or not, and whether they're ex-league or not.
    How many players are minor gentry? Lote is of course, maybe Giteau, he's half Frogge.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    They were saying on ESPN tonight that Lote hasn't scored a try since August 06.

Skill wise I honestly don't believe he is worth the $$$$ but, if he can attracts crowds and sponsorship then perhaps that does justify the $$$. If the Force V Tahs game earlier this year is anything to go by, the crowd certainly lifted every time Lote got his hands on the ball.

I think the money could be better spent on Junior development.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

Lightbulb Bearer of bad news

I hate to tell you ladies and gents this...but the idea of paying a huge amount of money for a mediocre player or one that is past his prime is the coming fad. It's been here in the states for years. My hometown baseball team, the Arizona Diamondbacks paid close to $12 million U.S. for a player that pitched about 50 games of a 162-game season and then DISMISSED him! Mind you, they're still paying on that player regardless of the fact that he now plays for another team in the same division as my team plays in.

This is a sad state of affairs in the world of professional sport and one that's going to come home to roost. You're going to see more and more of this because the management of the pro teams will pay for the name as opposed to the quality of the player more often than not (including not paying for those players that need to be developed in U-19, high school, college and the amateur ranks). This is being seen in my country with the U.S. Rugby team. They are working like mad now to get corporate sponsorship to support the team and even are considering trying to join the Magner's league in the U.K. or to start another, even semi-pro league here in the U.S. This would include upgrading the current Super League that we have here now which isn't paid to the best of my knowledge.

Again, welcome to the world of "big-time" sports.

vCash
    he aint worth that much money although he is a very good player at his best i still think they accidently put in a extra 0 on his contract

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    If the Force V Tahs game earlier this year is anything to go by, the crowd certainly lifted every time Lote got his hands on the ball.
    Yeah and then groaned when he f'cked it up.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    [QUOTE=Exile]They were saying on ESPN tonight that Lote hasn't scored a try since August 06.

QUOTE]

after that he go suspended for a few months and hasnt showed us much scince he has got back

vCash
    yea hes a rip off but he is worth about 600000 a year when hes playing well hope he gets back to that form

he is fantastic in defence. he will get back to scoring trys soon. hopefully next game he just needs more of the ball.

vCash
    Chook, whether Lote is marquee or the Marquis, he can live like one - on a million dollars a year! Words to this effect fit.

Lote's heritage is Fijian where he did learn rugby from, but I'd have to research more on his schoolboy years as to rugby playing.

gbear thanks for the yank yank on pro sports. Yeah big bucks are paid on the name and the image, even if the player hasn't ever played that sport before, in our case with one Wendell Sailor hired by rugby after his success at cousin NRL league.

What WINGERS ever know how to offload,sorry, pass. They're just damn lucky to even get the ball ! They're job is to plant it in the corner for a try, not to PASS IT ! They really need time at centre and fullback to learn how to pass, BOTHWAYS. Then they're a much more useful team player, and more likely to go 'looking' for the ball. (Someone mentioned about his lack of offloads)

SWR, champs like u deserve more than 30k gross. My guess is that you'll be more than just a 'foot-soldier' soon.

Last edited by MysticBalls; 14-03-07 at 22:28.
    from little things, big things grow...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93
    he just needs more of the ball.
    Better ball, he really needs better ball, in a bit of space, able to catch it on the run.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticBalls
    What WINGERS ever know how to offload,sorry, pass. They're just damn lucky to even get the ball ! They're job is to plant it in the corner for a try, not to PASS IT! They really need time at centre and fullback to learn how to pass, BOTHWAYS. Then they're a much more useful team player, and more likely to go 'looking' for the ball. (Someone mentioned about his lack of offloads)
    That would be me. So you're saying he shouldn't offload in the tackle.. Ok then...

vCash
    Lote Tuqiri? Never heard of him. Is he new?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Lote Tuqiri? Never heard of him. Is he new?
    Some Fijian league player I believe Chook, apparently he's gonna captain the Wallabies some day.

He better learn to pass quick as he's outside centre tomorrow.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    he'll probably want to play #10 if he's captain!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    He can play wherever he bloody well likes. He's scary. And rich.

Gigsa made me do it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3