Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Taskforce Advised Rectangular Stadium Sustainable

vCash

Exclamation Taskforce Advised Rectangular Stadium Sustainable

RugbyWA has advised the Stadium Taskforce that a new or redeveloped rectangular stadium with a capacity of up to 35,000 people would be well-used and require no ongoing commitment from the State Government once established.

RugbyWA Chairman Geoff Stooke told the Taskforce a study of the demands of rugby union, soccer, rugby league and the entertainment industry in WA showed such a venue would host 56 events in 2008, growing to 66 by 2012.

He said the income generated from the events and a contribution by users to a sinking fund would cover operational and maintenance costs, meaning there would be no further call on government funds other than the initial construction cost.

Mr Stooke also flagged the risks associated with Super 14 rugby being played at Subiaco Oval indefinitely.

“We have surveyed our members and 59% of them overall – and 68% of the Gold category – expressed dissatisfaction with the seating at Subiaco Oval,” Mr Stooke said.

“Our membership is down from 21,000 to 17,000 in just a year, and half of those who did not renew cited Subiaco Oval as the reason.”

Mr Stooke said playing in an oval stadium would cost RugbyWA more than $1 million a year in lost revenue, a position which was not sustainable in the longer term.

He said an oval stadium with retractable seating was not the answer because less than 20% of the seating was relocated to a better viewing position and at a great cost each time.

“A 60,000 seat stadium is also too large for us and will result in a lack of atmosphere and, when beamed around the world, it will suggest a poor attendance,” he said.

“Spectators who go to the rugby want more than just quality football, they want a great entertainment experience and that would be compromised in a half empty stadium, even with a crowd of 30,000.”

Mr Stooke said the hard work of many, including the State Government, had been rewarded when WA won the fourth Australian Super 14 franchise, and now a West Australian team was playing on rugby’s world stage, and attracting record crowds.

He said it would a travesty if all that effort was to wither because of an inappropriate playing venue.

“This is not just about the sports fans. I can cite three economic impact studies which show the huge upside for a city like Perth when international rugby comes to town,” he said.

“We need a dedicated rectangular stadium, with corporate facilities similar to Subiaco Oval and a capacity of up to 35,000 people, if we are to guarantee the future of Super 14 rugby in WA,” he said.

Mr Stooke said the State Government and the Stadium Taskforce were to be applauded in the way process had been managed, and he was now looking forward to an outcome which would best suit the long term interests of rugby and other sports.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Disclaimer: Although the contents of this post are from a RugbyWA News Feed, no RugbyWA staff member or representative actually made this post - the username and avatar are used purely to identify the source of the information.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Can't say it much better than that and I'm pleased they have an economic model which shows it is financially viable.......that was my main area of concern. Let's build the damn thing and get in there quick!!!!!

Just happy to be here

vCash
    I'm becoming convinced that a re-vamped ME is our best option. The powers in WA sport seem to be well and truly with the WAFC and going by some of the fence-sitting going on in Government ( surprise, surprise ) I don't hold out much hope of a mulit-purpose venue inside 10 years.

If it means they get their upgrade of Subi at taxpayers expense while holding a gun at their heads to become members or get no tickets, then so be it.

vCash
    We need a rectangular stadium, and I do believe that the WA Govt pledged one some time back...

vCash
    How big does everyone think the new stadium should be if built? I can see the valid point made in regards to making the stadium too large but i feel once the team begins notching some home wins and climbing the ladder permanently they will attract crowds over 35,000, as when the Dockers first started out their crowds weren't too big but now they consistently draw a high attendence. Anyone else got any thoughts?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I genuinely believe it should be 45-50,000 seats. This state has a long history of underestimating its infrastructure needs and is still growing. More so in that a large percentage of that growth is from areas where rugby is the major code (Eastern States, Europe, NZ and SA). As a minimum, the stadium should be designed such that an expansion is easily and inexpensively achievable, as it will be a major faux pas if a significant expansion were needed inside 7 years from the initial build.

Interesting indicator - I am going to be at the two NZ games and the Brumbies match this year. I've already got the tickets and, in each case, I've managed to get seating for several people inside the field of play. Even at Subi, no chance I could have done that here.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Ahh see guys, this report is exactly what I was saying a few months ago with the Entertainment Industry getting on board.

No way will it be 45-50,000 - not a hope in hell.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    Ahh see guys, this report is exactly what I was saying a few months ago with the Entertainment Industry getting on board.

No way will it be 45-50,000 - not a hope in hell.
    Once again we bow to your superior knowledge and intellect Egan.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    Interesting indicator - I am going to be at the two NZ games and the Brumbies match this year. I've already got the tickets and, in each case, I've managed to get seating for several people inside the field of play. Even at Subi, no chance I could have done that here.
    What do you mean there? Inside a boundary fence ?

Sometimes when I watch the matches from New Zealand I wonder why we are so steadfastly against Subi. Most of their stadia are cricket grounds, though not as big as Subi.

Yesterday's match still had the cricket pitch intact, covered over with a bit of soil. Haven't seen that for a long,long time so I suppose we shouldn't use NZ as any kind of yardstick.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think he means inside the try lines shasta, rather than at the end of the ground.

I just reckon that my Gold seat at Subi, being right down one end of the sideline, will turn into a shit end of field one in a smaller ground.
    I really don't know how all these supporters of a smaller rectangular ground feel they are suddenly going to qualify for the best seat in the house?
    If you are Silver now you can forget it, the best you can hope for will be mid way up the end field stands.
    To compare a Silver Members seat at Subiaco to that enjoyed at say a Samoa match is silly because only half the numbers go.

Now, my Maths is admittedly not my strong point however, from my doodling, I have worked out the following.
    The max length and width of a Rugby pitch is 146m x 68m. That's 428m of pitch to divide up.
    A 35,000 seat ground (without any allowance for Boxes which will decrease the sideline figures) will allow for 81.7 punters per meter of pitch.
    That would mean two side stands of approx 11,928 and two end stands of 5,556?
    I don't know the numbers on each wing of Subiaco but as an AFL Ground they are much longer than a Rugby Ground.

On top of that, if you happen to be one of the extra 2,037 who came to the Brumbies match, don't bother following Rugby anymore, we don't have room for you!

I'm sure Super Egan will come in with some Earth shattering stat however, I just can't see the benefit to the Force and Rugby in Western Australia of having such a small, expansion stifling ground if we are building it from new?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm with AndyS on this re build it to allow expansion, after all, this stadium should be where the International Test matches are held too, otherwise you're all traipsing off to the Subi at 60k again! Anything less than 43k will stifle the progress of WA Rugby and Force and Glory.

from little things, big things grow...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    [QUOTE=shasta]What do you mean there? Inside a boundary fence ?

I did indeed mean inside the try lines, although wouldn't that be a great perk for travelling supporters?

You're math probably isn't far out Burgs, assuming a fairly simple stand layout. One of the things that came out of organising the trip was an examination of the grounds, and it was interesting to compare a dedicated facility like Waikato stadium (see http://www.waikatostadium.co.nz/inde...eID=2145819577 and use the seat finder - it gives the view from each section of the ground) with a multi-purpose ground like Jade stadium, which of course doubles as a very small cricket ground (go to http://premier.ticketek.co.nz/Venues...x?v=CJS&s=4076 and take the virtual tour). It was particularly interesting to see that the simple stand added to Waikato provided 12,000 seats for $40M. I would have thought that more sophisticated tiering, although more expensive, would do better at getting supporters alongside the play.

Sadly, I know that what Egan says is true - there is no way we will be getting any more than 35,000 seats. It is a shame, as I have no doubt that it will restrict the number of quality seats on offer, inhibit membership growth and make us one of the worst places for the supporters of other teams to travel to. Still, if we managed 35,000 seats with a design that allowed vertical expansion, it would be something. The real keys will be access and parking though, and I didn't realise just how much of the parking around Equity was permit only until the other day. It is going to be a real issue, as the train access is relatively ordinary. It is a shame that the best site of all, the entertainment centre site, has never been on the radar - it would have been truely great, with minimal neighbours, parking all around, direct access from the freeway both directions, proximity to both central train and bus stations, and a major boost for Northbridge each game day. Instead it will be shops and some grossly overpriced shoebox apartments - just what the area needs. Anyway.....

Apprentice
    vCash
    Personally I reckon the Burswood option is the best fit, rail access and parking would be a better option there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy
    Personally I reckon the Burswood option is the best fit, rail access and parking would be a better option there.
    I agree. It would need a bit of upgrading at the railway station at Burswood I think. Road access to Burswood is the real problem though. Any time there is a major event at the Dome the traffic is a nighhtmare so imagine 60000.

What I've not seen so far is a breakdown of who would pay what to achieve the Burswood option. Nor have I heard too many in favour of

Whatever, I'm sure Packer would want some (so far) unpalatable trade-offs. One would probably be allowing "one-armed bandits"

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    the longer this goes on the less I care where it is, as long as it is rectangular!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast