Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 70,000-seat, $700m stadium plan

Legend Contributor
    vCash

70,000-seat, $700m stadium plan

Exclusive: Joe Spagnolo
    March 10, 2007 02:00pm

PERTH's proposed new outdoor stadium could end up being a 70,000-seat venue with a $700 million-plus price tag after a re-think on the size of the venue.

Taskforce head John Langoulant has revealed the group was re-thinking the idea of a 60,000-seat venue, admitting it could be too small for the future needs of the sports-mad state.

He also revealed the $600 million price tag that's been bandied around for the project could swell beyond $700 million.

With West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers membership alone ballooning beyond 90,000 between them, there are now concerns that a 60,000-seat venue would be too small.

But Mr Langoulant scoffed at suggestions by Burswood that the Burswood Peninsula was the only site capable of accommodating a larger stadium, saying a rebuilt Subiaco Oval, Kitchener Park in Subiaco and land near the old East Perth power station were also suitable sites for a 70,000-plus stadium.

"We are having another look at the 60,000 figure to make sure it's the right size,'' he said.

"There has been commentary made about ensuring that what we build will meet future demands and we just want to make sure we get it right.

"But it's our view it should not go beyond 70,000.

"Every time you decide to increase the size (of the stadium) you add to the cost _ about an extra $10,000 a seat.''

Burswood says any new stadium needs to be relevant for future generations and is claiming the Burswood Peninsula is the only location that can accommodate a venue larger than 60,000 seats.
    "The fear is that, as a state, we are contemplating long-term infrastructure that the Government has said may not be built for 10 years, and will need to be relevant for generations to come,'' Burswood spokeswoman Sonia Mackay-Coghill said.

"There is a very real possibility that WA may outgrow a 60,000 seat stadium during that time.

"To not plan for this when there is clearly opportunity to do so, is a missed opportunity.

"Not one of the other sites being considered can accommodate a larger stadium.''
    But the Burswood proposal has its critics.

Nearby residents have formed an action group to lobby against the peninsula proposal, claiming there are environmental and public issues with the site.

"I don't want drunken hooligans wandering around our streets late at night, traffic jams every weekend and the noise of 60,000 sports fans echoing through my windows at night,'' said Jackie Oldfield, head of the action group.

Mr Langoulant claimed that out of all sites being considered, the peninsula had the worst traffic access issues.

And he raised further concerns about the extra costs involved with building a stadium on reclaimed swamp land.

Burswood claims it would cost no more than $20 million to build piled foundations for a stadium, an expense off-set by the fact that the government owns the land and would not have to buy back properties.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I'll chip in $10

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "I don't want drunken hooligans wandering around our streets late at night, traffic jams every weekend and the noise of 60,000 sports fans echoing through my windows at night,'' said Jackie Oldfield, head of the action group.

The old NOT IN MY BACKYARD syndrome!!!! Grrrrrrr

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    They can build it in my backyard

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    is it a rectangular backyard coach?

vCash
    No swamps or underground caves where you live coach
    - what about transport links ?
    - Entertainment facilities Swing Sets for opposition supporters / Bar Fridge?

obviously the view of the Coach's family in action will greatly enhance the atmosphere etc..

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    "Taskforce head John Langoulant has revealed the group was re-thinking the idea of a 60,000-seat venue, admitting it could be too small for the future needs of the sports-mad state."....

...."The fear is that, as a state, we are contemplating long-term infrastructure that the Government has said may not be built for 10 years, and will need to be relevant for generations to come,'' Burswood spokeswoman Sonia Mackay-Coghill said.

"There is a very real possibility that WA may outgrow a 60,000 seat stadium during that time. (D'you think??? Subi was fine 7 years ago and now they need 17,000 more...)
    This is classic management technique for things you don't really want to do - just keep moving the goal posts and going back to restudying the options. Five years from now when things are looking serious for 70,000 seats, it will be "gee, now we aren't sure we don't need 80,000 given how quick the state keeps growing. Now where would we put that?"

Mind you, once it gets to a size where redevelopment of Subi becomes impractical, I wonder whether we would be allowed to turn it into a rectangular stadium?

vCash
    ill chip in another $10 we almost there now !

vCash
    Ms Blindsid3 and I move to Burswood next month...

you won't find me on any anti-stadium committee...so don't bother knocking on my door, Ms Oldfield.

vCash
    I reckon Burswood is the best site by miles, easy to get to and perfect postcard location...Bugger the old whingers, or rich snobs who complain about everything...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I wish it were that easy FR but you can't ignore them .. look what they (residents) did to Claremont Speedway and listen to what is starting to happen to Kwinana Motoplex!!!

vCash
    A-holes...ruining everday peoples entertainment...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I "think" Ms Oldfield may well be a real estate agent that used to live in Mt Pleasant and has just moved to the new development at Burswood. She probably lives in a two level penthouse in one of those towers!

Like ANY of the residents that "may" be affected by these issues, they have only been residents for a very short period of time. They chose to live where 24/7 entertainment take place be it gambling, concerts, sports (Hopman Cup), St Pats day etc. They alreday had that element they now don't want.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I understand people who move to an area where there isn't such entertainment facilitiues and they don't want it coming. But I don't appreciate people who move into an area where this entertainment already happens and they want to get rid of it!

vCash
    It's the problem with an ageing population look at any of the old pubs and see how much flack they come under.

You find a run down suburb makes cheap rent for outlets, suddenly the suburb becomes a hot spot of activity which means more people want to buy next to and then there is no room for what made the place great in the first place.

The govt just needs to bite the bullet and build it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast