Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy Theory

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Conspiracy Theory

OK this is going to take a stretch of the imagination, but just hear me out before saying I am being silly.

I don't know if everyone has noticed it, but the last couple of weeks, all of the Australian based Super14 teams have been under performing. Admittedly all of the Australian Teams have had a shocking run of injuries, except the Force (touch wood, throws salt over right shoulder and spins around three times and spits). But there are a couple of other things.

All of the Australian Teams are struggling in the Line Out this year and all of the Australian Teams Back Lines are running with a serious lack of imagination and Back Line moves that were once a thing of beauty and precision are non-existent.

Have a think back - or if you have the games recorded, how basic are the Line Out Throws? Gone are the days of the movement of the Jumpers/Blockers in the Line Out recently it would appear that they have gone back to the days prior to Rod McQueen and the Brumbies, throwing the ball to 2, 4 or 6. That's it. How many Australian Hookers are being pinged for not throwing the ball in straight at the Line Out?

And what has happened to the Back Lines of the Australian Super 14 Teams. gone of the days of the wrap around of the 5/8th to the Inside Centre and the cut out pass to the flying winger. The last 3 games the Western Force back line have put the ball through the hands of every single player, including the FullBack Drew Mitchell. In the recent loss to the Lions during the second half the Western Force team was strung out across the paddock and managed to string together enough passes to cross the paddock, TWICE! they probably gained about 15 metres. In all of this the backline is incredibly flat and not running on to the ball, in fact they are almost standing flat footed. It is very difficult to score points against quality opposition with a backline that would appear to have no plan, and no attacking options.

I entitled this post Conspiracy Theory. Here is why.

Its all a plan by the ARU to lull New Zealand and South Africa and to a lesser extent England and France in to a false sense of security leading up to the Rugby World Cup in France.

Its the only thing that makes any sense.

The Coaches and Administrators of our four Super 14 Franchises all sat down together and agreed to sandbag for this Super 14 Season in a lead up to the Rugby World Cup.

Lets face it mtbeaver and Shaun and the boys backlines are probably playing with more imagination and flare in the Perth Schoolboys Under 16's then what we are seeing by the Australian based teams at the moment.

I want you to think back to the Rugby World Cup of 2003 here in Australia, and how the Wallabies were under performing leading up to the Competition and how critical the Rugby Journalists and even the Australian Rugby loving public were writing the Wallabies off. Even during the pool matches everyone was saying how bad we were playing and that once we reached the Semi-Final against the All Blacks we were going to be blown off the park. Look what happened. We belted the All Blacks. A stunned New Zealand Rugby Sacked their Coach because of it. The Wallabies went on to almost win the Rugby World Cup of 2003, making it to Extra Time before Jonny Wilkinson kicked his way in to history.

That's my theory. Thanks for reading it.

I will now sit back and accept your ridicule.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I think that is what they technically refer to as "clutching at straws". Your theory depends entirely on the premise that AB's, SA's, Eng & France actually give a monkeys about how poor australian rugby is at present...I certainly know the English are too pre-occupied with their own short-comings and the AB's can probably manage to choke all by themselves...It's the Irish line you should be concerned about

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yesssssssssssss...

THE TRAP....

vCash
    No, we're just crap, except the Force who have taken a fair chunk of the Aussie wealth of talent.

So... I guess start using it and everything will be ok.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Apart from Gits and Mitchell (maybe) in the Backs and Sharpe (who most in the East denigrate anyway), Cannon and Fava, who qualifies as the "fair chunk of the Aussie wealth of talent" prior to moving West Sage?
    Not still bitter at drawing are we?

Ex, I don't think it is premeditated but I agree the under performing could work to our advantage like in 2003 where most of the experts thought we'd fail at the Quarters or Semi's.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    What about Giteau's try this weekend - isn't that the difference between S14 and Wallabies

As for the Irish Chances - yes they are the best ever but I would be more worried about the French - the Irish like the Force don't seem to win if they are favourites - but I suspect you can say that about most teams especially the all blacks

I also suspect that there is truth in the statement that the force and a lot of other teams are more pre-occupied with not losing rather than winning - the amount of stats coming out has made people over critical of mistakes - so flair and imagination are difficult partners of this clinical approach

A lot of people are asking for Digby to come back - because he is aggressive - does heaps of tackles and has the imagination to try stuff - but he's not there possibly because of handling errors - possibly his penalty count - who knows -

S14 gives extra points for a close loss and more for a draw - so is a win at all costs strictly necessary

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    No, we're just crap, except the Force who have taken a fair chunk of the Aussie wealth of talent.
    Or, more accurately, a lot of the younger players that would be spending time on the bench and keeping even more players (Beale, Cooper et al) out of the teams altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    I guess start using it and everything will be ok
    Assuming that, even if we do, they would get picked for the Wallabies - didn't really work for the form inside centre last year.

----------------------------

I think a lot of the "problem" is a focus on forward play, aimed at trying to remedy the Wallabies woes. It is never going to make for pretty rugby, but possibly necessary for the national aspirations. I wonder how many of the people bitching about boring rugby in the S14 are the same people castigating the national game for lack of forward power.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    Or, more accurately, a lot of the younger players that would be spending time on the bench and keeping even more players (Beale, Cooper et al) out of the teams altogether.
    Probably bad examples of players there, you didn't buy Mat Rogers or Berrick Barnes. Point taken, although the force have plenty of players who were starting for their former team.

I just don't think we've got the calibre of players capable of bringing home the world cup this time. We're close, but just not there yet.

It's a tough time, I'm annoyed cos the Force have weakened the other aussie teams, but in time it'll work out as we uncover more diamonds in the rough that would previously have not gotten a run.

But I digress, it would be awesome if it was just a ploy, they certainly have me fooled right now.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Probably, but we took Giteau so Huxley moved (might have anyway though) and we also have Mackay (not that he'd be playing anyway). Certainly don't think Polotau Nau would be seeing any game time if Cannon was still around.

You can see replacements coming through over the next few years, but yeah, it will be mostly old guard for this RWC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    You can see replacements coming through over the next few years, but yeah, it will be mostly old guard for this RWC.
    I'm scared

vCash
    We don't have much time left before RWC to implement new faces into the wallabies, so the older players are gonna have to stay for the experience aspect, if for no other reason...So gregan will be there for sure i reckon, sharpie, canno, and the other elder fellows will be there to lead by example, and hopefully we can pull it together over those weeks...Not really an ideal squad to take after having 4 years to blood new talent, but it will have to do...

In this regard, it is a benefit to Australian rugby that the Force has come along so that we now have a larger talent pool to pick from, even though it may take a few years to fully develop...This combined with the APC should see us slowly develop greater depth all across the board and in all positions so in future we will become a lot more of the powerhouse we once were...

Last edited by frontrow; 06-03-07 at 09:09.
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree frontrow (full article pending) while the teams might not be performing it doesn't make the individuals any worse and in the mean time we are seeing many more contenders putting their hats in the ring.
    It can only be a positive.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I think that the fourth team in Australia was a necessity not a luxury. I also think that injuries like we are having now would have previously exposed Australia's lack of depth as is the 4th team.....

But all is good in the longer term!!!

Just be patient and time will tell

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile

Lets face it mtbeaver and Shaun and the boys backlines are probably playing with more imagination and flare in the Perth Schoolboys Under 16's then what we are seeing by the Australian based teams at the moment.
    ...and pruc!!!!:@ lol

vCash
    Not and Pruc. Your backline is boring, your forwards do all the work for you guys. Hale's backline is sickhouse!

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast