Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help

Apprentice
    vCash

Help

A caller tonight on Sports Central has tossed up that John Welborn is not WA's first ever Wallaby. He mentioned a Gerard Irwin Green(e). I reckon we've had more west aussies than just Big John anyway but can anyone help me answer this blokes query. I'll give it a run tomorrow night complete with a credit.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    BUrgs??? burgs????

I think the caller is correct Barra...I recall a Kiwi bloke from years ago???

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I believe the official line is that Wobber is the first ever Western Australian BORN Wallaby.
    I believe it was Number 8 who put up some research last year as to the history of WA Resident Wallabies.
    I'll have a dig through the old threads and see if I can't find it for you Barra

Found it: http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=992

Last edited by Burgs; 05-03-07 at 20:28.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Apprentice
    vCash
    ta ... be a bit strange if Welborn was the first WA born Wallaby over the last how many years

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    99% sure he is re the Born aspect Barra, the rest were just residents either before, during or after.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Woke No 8 up - he looked up Australian Rugby The Game and the Players by Jack Pollard - good up until 1995 - this guy is not mentioned

Barra ask for more details - it would be great to have the bio of others who played for West Australia.

No 8 has met a South Australian guy called Dean Jones who claims to have 6 caps as a sub in the early eighties - not in this book either

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Jesus, there are more West Australian Wallabies than there are Junior AllBlacks!

Let's select an all time great Wallaby side made up entirely of WA Wallabies!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The early ships used to pull into Fremantle on their way to the UK didn't they, should be able to claim all them

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    They call J.Wadd the first home grown Wallaby because he learnt his rugby here, from juniors at Wests, then to Uni where he played colts and grade before heading over east.

There are quite a few people who settled here after playing for the Wallabies. Alan Morton played on the wing for the Wallabies around 57-58 and then played at Uni and for WA. More recently, Adrian McDonald won a few premierships with SOAKS in the late nineties. He was in the team v Argentina in 1983 and was flown across to the 91 World Cup when Nick Farr-Jones was injured. Mitch Hardy, Wallaby in 96-97, played for Uni last year and is backing up again this year. But I'm sure J.Wadd is the only to have learnt his rugby here.

On another note, I remember playing against Jamie Joseph in the late eighties/early nineties. He played for Wanneroo and I think for WA Under 21s and went on to play for the All Blacks. But I'm not sure how old he was when he got here.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    This your man Mick?
    http://stats.allblacks.com/Profile.asp?ABID=446
    No real mention of WA connection or available time frame though?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Mick's right about Jamie Josephs. Joseph's father was WaNneroo coach at the time.
    I recall Jamie as a talented player who lacked self discipline and had a short fuse.
    He had stiff opposition as WA was blessed with some world class loose forwards at that time.

And then there was the local kid who happened to be of Kiwi descent who in the early 90's was called up to play for the AllBlack against WA when the AB scrum half got injured.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 06-03-07 at 13:50. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    This your man Mick?
    http://stats.allblacks.com/Profile.asp?ABID=446
    No real mention of WA connection or available time frame though?
    So that's what he looks like. I only ever saw his thighs when he was running over the top of me, and his back when he was running away. Strange there was no mention of his stint here. It obviously wasn't a real long one. But I know it was in that late eighties early nineties era.

And while I'm at it, Brumbies lock Adam Wallace-Harrison is a local WA boy. Played his rugby at SOAKS before heading east. He's played for Australia A. Who knows, he might become WA's SECOND home grown Wallaby, which would be great. He's a big, mobile unit equally at home in the back row.

Last edited by Mick Colliss 882 6PR; 06-03-07 at 14:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Apprentice
    vCash
    according to rugby guru nick taylor from the sunday times ... a fella by the name of John (Jock) Cecil Steggall was the first WA born Wallaby (dob:16/9/09) played ten tests in the backs - his dad was a geraldton watch-maker of all things ... he moved to Toowoomba as a young man ... so maybe Welborn is still the first born and bred West Aussie...

vCash
    This is from another forum on this website called player profiles - the one on John Welborn is maintained by Jess

Quote:
    John Welborn - Basic Player Profile
    Just a basic profile courtesy of Rugby WA with my own personal inclusions where i could fit them in. Enjoy.

Name: John Welborn (Wobber)
    Position: Lock
    Height: 197cm
    Weight: 120kg (Spoke of how he had lost weight for a brief period while playing in France but regained the weight saying he enjoyed being a larger size for his rugby career)
    Date of Birth: 8/9/1970 (This makes him a Virgo... and 36)
    Club: University (The best WA club there is. )
    Super 14 Team: Emirates Western Force (Previously a 'Tahs Man)
    Super 12/14 Points: 40
    Super 12/14 Caps: 61 (51 NSW)
    2006 Super 14 Caps: 10
    Test Caps: 6
    Test Debut: 1996 v South Africa
    Honours: 1996 - 1999 Australian Wallabies 1996 - Aus A 1991 - Australian U21s

Basic Background Info:

A massive lock with brute strength, John is WA's first home-grown Wallaby, having made six Test appearances for Australia. He has just returned from four seasons with Brive, where he played in the French Championship and the European Cup. John has also had stints overseas at Natal in South Africa and Leicester in England. A qualified chartered accountant with a commerce degree from UWA, John enjoys a good game of chess, skiing, sailing, and plans to take up kite-surfing.

I have many stories and much trivia about Wobber up my sleeve (thanks OMC) so stay tuned!: /quote

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I remember a bloke by the name of Thompson, Steve I think, who was the Wests hooker around 1968, and was selected for the Wallabies whilst here in the West. I do not know if he was W.A. born, but he was acknowledged as being from W.A.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast