Thread: Mitchell rules himself out

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell rules himself out

Good onya Mitch

Mitchell rules himself out

By Darren Walton And Jim Morton
    March 01, 2007

FORMER New Zealand coach John Mitchell has ruled himself out of the running for the Australia job next season, saying he wants to remain loyal to Western Force.
    With John Connolly off contract after this year's World Cup and Australian Rugby Union boss Gary Flowers' recent declaration that the position didn't necessarily have to be filled by an Australian, Mitchell was viewed as a front-line contender for the role.

But Mitchell today said he was committed both contractually and morally to the Force until at least the end of the 2008 Super 14 season.

"We're still very much in our foundation stage and I'm committed to this club," Mitchell said on the eve of the Force's derby with New South Waratahs at Aussie Stadium.

Mitchell presided over the All Blacks' heartbreaking 22-10 loss to the Wallabies in the 2003 World Cup semi-finals, having formerly served as Clive Woodward's understudy in England, and as long as he remains "fully committed to Australian rugby" coaching a third different national team will still be a possibility down the track.

But the 42-year-old New Zealander said even if Force were to allow him to coach the Wallabies next year while continuing to head up the Perth franchise, he would be reluctant to juggle two extremely demanding jobs.

"I've done that before in my past and I personally don't think it works," Mitchell said.

"This job as a head coach now has changed hugely. I mean, the HR role and the PR role - and especially building a brand new club where the PR role and educational role is probably a a little bit bigger than most other clubs - is a pretty harsh task.

"It's also about having great support under you and we as a coaching team are still very young and there is still a lot of personal development (to be made) within the group.

"So I'd like to stick to first things first before I sort of try and put two legs in each camp."

Even with Mitchell out of the equation, there is no shortage of candidates for one of the most coveted positions in Australian sport.

Ewen McKenzie was the ARU's preferred option before Connolly was appointed last February to replace Eddie Jones, but ruled himself out in preference to the New South Wales Waratahs.

Despite being contracted to NSW until the end of 2008, McKenzie, a hero of Australia's 1991 World Cup-winning team, would again be a frontrunner - and the Waratahs would not stand in his way.

The Brumbies' Laurie Fisher, the Blues' David Nucifora and Australian assistant coach Michael Foley are other leading contenders.

Fisher is the Australia A coach and, as well as being highly regarded in ARU circles, is popular with the players.

Fisher succeeded Nucifora at the Brumbies - after Nucifora fell victim to a player revolt in 2004 - and is admired for his knowledge of and no-nonsense approach to the game.

Nucifora's prospects would only be enhanced if he was to lead the powerful Blues - who currently top the table after four rounds - to this year's Super 14 title.

As it is, Nucifora is the only one of the four Australian Super 14 coaches to have won a Super title.

"I'm off contract at the end of this season and I'll see what happens if it (the Wallabies job) comes up," Nucifora told AAP today.

"I'd certainly consider it if it's an option."

Connolly is a big fan of Foley, having also employed him at Bath, and would support any push to have the Wallabies' forwards coach appointed, while other possibilities include former Wallabies centre and Leicester coach Pat Howard, former South African mentor Nick Mallett and successful Crusaders coach Robbie Deans.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Tipping Glen Ella for that Job - bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment with the ARU carrying on like a bunch of pork chops
    Evidence
    a: B Perkins leaving in a public huff
    b: J Connolly stating he won't stay on even before the RWC starts
    c: J Eales pubicly backing a call to get John O' Neil back
    d: Bidding War for Lote - this shouldn't be as public as it is - it should be managed better - also if they knew it was going to happen why did they give all the little tackers a poster of Lote at Junior Registration Day
    e: Has anyone seen anything from the ARU supporting RugbyWA in it's bid for a rectangular stadium ? I haven't
    f: the sacking of Eddie Jones - what a public relations disaster
    g:Anything from this mob on the implementation of the new Scrum Laws - because they are been been implementated in different ways by different refs in Aus and outside Aus - also concerned about the way a lot of the props are twisting down as the scrum collapses
    h: Anything from the ARU supporting refs - they are having a shocker of a year and nobody is taking leadership to make it better
    ihanigians in the Reds Board
    j: New ARU website administered in New Zealand !!!!

I'm sure you all could add more to this

As ever away with the fairies

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    noooooooooo he is always loyal to the force!!!
    he is the best coach we need u mitchell smartest coach ever!!!
    cmon mitch coach the the walibies!!

Last edited by jazza93; 01-03-07 at 16:53.

vCash
    I feel great about Mitch giving his total commitment to The Force, but I think a combination of Mitch and Rod McQueen would be formidable for Australian rugby in the long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joblot
    I feel great about Mitch giving his total commitment to The Force, but I think a combination of Mitch and Rod McQueen would be formidable for Australian rugby in the long term.

World cup 2011 maybe. The more I see & hear of of John Mitchell the more I feel that he was by very far the best possible choice to head up The Force coaching staff. Seems to be a man of the highest principles.
    If the NZRU can ever get away from their "shoot the coach" mentality every time someone beats the All Blacks they will be even more dominant then they are now. The decision to sack John Mitchell was one of the worst I've evfer seen

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, but the guy they've got now is no slouch either. If the ABs lose, maybe he'll be available to start up a Melbourne franchise.

The conspiracy theory I've heard is that Mitch might think about it after one more sacrificial goat, in time to take the Wallabies to the cup in NZ - flip the NZRFU and fickle supporters the bird in style. Mind you, he'd probably want to be smuggled into the country rather than go through customs.