Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Staniforth wants central battle

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Staniforth wants central battle

Staniforth wants central battle

By Tim Clarke
    February 27, 2007

WESTERN Force back Scott Staniforth admits he is frustrated on the wing, saying he wants to play in the centres against New South Wales on Friday.
    Staniforth returned to Australia as Force's final signing for last season, and he was a revelation in the centres after being switched from the wing in mid-season - scoring a team-high nine tries and earning a Test recall for Australia.

But he has found himself back on the wing in 2007, after the arrival in Perth of league convert Ryan Cross, from Sydney Roosters, and Drew Mitchell, from Super 14 rival Queensland.

Staniforth hence has made a reduced impact on the competition, scoring no tries from few chances.

“I would love to be back in the centres,” Staniforth said today when told that New South Wales coach Ewen McKenzie had stated publicly that he expected the flyer to start in the No.12 jumper on Friday.

”It is not about where I want to play.

“I haven't had as much ball as I'd like.

“But is one of those things.

“It is a team game and you can't really be worried too much about that.

“Obviously I would like to get a bit more ball, but half of that is up to me, and working a bit harder.”

The situation echoes Staniforth's last season with the Waratahs, in 2004, when his opportunities were limited by the arrival of league convert Lote Tuqiri.

Staniforth still has Tuqiri very much in mind, saying today that he expected his fellow Wallabies back to turn on the style against Force after a quiet start to the season.

“He has probably got a lot going on, and I think he has even admitted he has not been on top of his game,” Staniforth said.

“I hear this week he is ready for big one, and he usually fires up for the interstate clashes as well.”

Force coach John Mitchell and a squad including a clutch of former Waratahs including Staniforth, Cameron Shepherd, Brendan Cannon and Gareth Hardy will travel to Sydney today.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Can't argue with that. He's an unlucky chappie - has done nothing wrong but just keeps getting shafted.

To the extreme !

vCash
    Yep great centre and a big unit, with a bit of luck he'll get a run there and add a bit in attack. Would be good to see Sheppherd at Full back as well maybe DM on the wings where his speed will be useful, but Sheps defence is much better utilised at Full Back.

vCash
    tell me bout it i think our attack wouold improve more so with him breaking the line in centre

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    yep - he has certainly earnt a run in the centres after last years efforts!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I think Pelesasa should have a bit of a bench stint for a while, bring Stanners into the centres! Junior's handling was terrible on Saturday night.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yep, I'd go with that too UTF.
    They've had their experiment which had the whole of the preseason to get right, it hasn't worked, move on.
    I'm confident it is because Mitch is Coaching to the "bigger picture" but, in terms of results, I don't think he is utilising his bench to the full either.
    Both Hilgendorf and Sare have provided line breaking sparks before and both deserve to have a crack if the 1st XV isn't getting the results.
    Assuming fitness, I would be lining up with:

1. Hardy
    2. Cannon
    3. Takiari
    4. Vedelago
    5. Sharpe (c)
    6. Pusey
    7. Hodgson
    8. Brown
    9. Henjak
    10. Giteau
    11. Mitchell
    12. Staniforth
    13. Cross
    14. Sare
    15. Shepherd
    16. Holmes
    17. Scott
    18. Doherty
    19. Fava
    20. O'Young
    21. Hilgendorf
    22. Pelesasa

If we then lost there would be a couple of major adjustments but we'll take the arm chair coaching "one week at a time"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    nothing beats armchair coaching............... i've done it a few times

vCash
    The only question I have is Holmes over McIsaac on the bench. but I like the starting 15.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Basically gone for that because Cannon has been the lesser of two evils so far and Holmes needs some match time as I believe all three are coming up for contract at the end of the season.
    There's "normally" some kind of method to my madness
    Very tough on Bam-Bam too but, despite some doubters, we have three excellent #7's and someone has to "rest" each week.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    True and lets be honest neither Cannon or McIsaac are young getting Holmes out there for a run and building on his skills is hardly the worst thing we could do for the future.

vCash
    Giteau is not a flyhalf. I'm probably going to get flamed for this but, based on what I've seen, I think Staniforth is one of the best inside centres around. Maybe Giteau and Staniforth could share the role? Giteau will be more rested, and the Wallabies would have another option at 12.

vCash
    I think he plays a pretty good fly half, however if you were to move him to centre and Staniforth to allow hilgendorf to play say, why not do a straight swap of Stanniforth for Cross and Mitchell for Sheppherd?

vCash
    That's exactly what I would do Nick!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I know we are bedding in a backline, but I'd like to see a horses-for-courses approach develop. I've always thought Giteau would be best suited to 10 long term, and his tactical awareness is excellent, but he does kick a bit often. It may have been instructed, but there were several occasions last week where he went to the boot when we had big numbers out to the right. In the wet though, that tactical kicking is what you are after and I'd like to see him there with Staniforth, Cross and Sare outside (Mitchell and Shepherd largely interchangeable)

Bit different in the dry though. If you are going to play an expansive game I'd prefer to see him at 12 making breaks himself or distributing either side to Hilgendorf and Staniforth/Cross, probably Ioane at 14 for his tackling (the dry cuts both ways), Mitchell at 11 and Shepherd at 15.

A real question for mine is how Stapleton is developing, especially with contracts coming up. I'd really love to see some serious wheels on the wing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast