Thread: Kurtley's brother chases dream

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Kurtley's brother chases dream

Kurtley's brother chases dream

By Josh Massoud
    February 22, 2007

THE family's trademark on the mid-air sidestep and cheeky head wobble has only just been recognised, but there's no mistaking it.

Although he plays a different brand of footy, William Beale is the genuine product.

Side-stepping from the recently cast shadow of his brother - Waratahs excitement machine Kurtley - 15-year-old William is three days from embarking on his own road to stardom.

But instead of following his older sibling in rugby, the schoolboy star has turned his back on the 15-man game to chase a career in league.

In a salute to his outstanding natural talents, William has been selected a year ahead of time to play five-eighth for Penrith's Harold Matthews team against Newcastle on Saturday.

Baby Beale was spotted preparing for his debut in the 16-year-olds' competition in a park near Penrith this week.

And there was no need for a file photo to identify him.

Clapping and cajoling, firing bullet passes and swaggering about with authority way beyond his tender years, the kid struck a resemblance to Kurtley only genetics can justify.

The Mt Druitt brothers both started out playing league, but Kurtley switched codes after fielding a lucrative scholarship from top rugby school Joeys.

William had also appeared lost to league when he was lured to the same boarding rooms in leafy Hunters Hill.

Yesterday he explained why he flicked the chance to follow his brother.

"I went to Joeys as well, but it wasn't for me," William said. "I missed my family and friends too much."

A strong preference for league also played a role in his return to the blue-collar west, where he now lives with his grandparents and is currently completing Year 10 at Chifley High.

"I like league better because I get my hands on the ball more. You get more of a go,"* said, William, who is already nicknamed "Fulla" by his friends.

Delighted by William's return, the Panthers didn't need a second invitation to secure him from rugby's clutches. Penrith's recruitment and development manager Peter Mulholland revealed William was just one of a handful of 15-year-olds to be offered a contract this season.

"We've got him on a small deal to help him out with his schooling until he finishes," Mulholland said.

"He came through our junior development squad and was doing so well we decided to give him a start in Harold Matthews.

"He began playing fullback, but we're going to play him at five-eighth.

"William definitely has his own personality and time will tell how he goes."

* If a Fly Half is complaining about not getting the ball enough there is something seriously wrong with his forwards, not with Union!
    League must just drum that shit into them from an early age like a bloody mantra, how anyone can seriously suggest that a player on average "see's more ball" in League than Union is absolutely beyond me.
    You have the halves that see plenty and the big meatheads that run it up to a tackle and that's it. One pass, run it up x 4 or 5 then kick it to the opposition Fullback. Play 80 minutes and get three or four breaks for a try.
    If you are really lucky you'll get to see a couple of group hugs by the Forwards too...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Good luck to him.

I also heard they are two of the Force palyers brothers playing local.

I think it was Juniors bro and another and I think they're at Paly??

Any Palymen out there that can help?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I heard a rumour that the cousin of Lote Tuirquiri is at Paly to - any truth in either of these rumours

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    that was the other I hear, nice work tqo

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Troy Takiari's brother, Tyson (back rower) is playing for Nedlands.

I've also heard the rumor about Tuquiri's cousin playing for Paly, not sure how true.

vCash
    A Pelesasa and Tuquiri centre partnering i heard...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Champion
    vCash
    Tuquiri is playing at pally but from wot my ussual acurate sources say he is a scrum half. just wot for fulvio to read and he will confirm