Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Squad Announced for Lions Match, Fava and Hilgendorf Return

vCash

Force Squad Announced for Lions Match, Fava and Hilgendorf Return

Flanker Luke Doherty will start for the first time in this season’s Investec Super 14 when the Emirates Western Force play the Lions from Johannesburg on Saturday night at Subiaco Oval.

Doherty moves from the bench to the starting 15, replacing the injured David Pusey at blindside flanker.

Also back in the run-on team is No. 8 Scott Fava, who will be looking to make a positive impression after being stood-down from last week’s match for a breach of team protocol, and the strong performance of his replacement at the back of the scrum, Richard Brown.

The versatile and indefatigable Brown moves to the bench as part of rotation policy.

Flyhalf James Hilgendorf returns to the 22 as a reserve, with the Emirates Western Force head coach John Mitchell opting for consistency in the backline.

Mitchell said relationships take time to develop and he was happy with the way the backs were starting to gel. He said he was keen to put the onus back on the current combination, particularly against the Lions pairing of Jaco Pretorius and Jaque Fourie.

“I regard Fourie as one of the best centres in the world and the Lions back three are very good finishers,” he said.

Mitchell said the Lions had a quality scrum and played with speed and width, and he was expecting a very physical contest.

“They will also be high in energy and confidence after squeezing out the Crusaders last weekend, so you cannot afford to underestimate this team,” Mitchell said.

“The challenge for us is to be patient in our execution, work hard and avoid taking short cuts,” he said.

“It’s great to be back in Perth and we want to play well for our fans.”

The squad is:
    1. Gareth Hardy
    2. Brendan Cannon
    3. Troy Takiari
    4. Rudi Vedelago
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Luke Doherty
    7. Matt Hodgson
    8. Scott Fava

9. Matt Henjak
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Cameron Shepherd
    12. Junior Pelesasa
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. Drew Mitchell

16. Tai McIsaac
    17. Angus Scott
    18. Richard Brown
    19. David Pocock
    20. Chris O’Young
    21. James Hilgendorf
    22. Haig Sare

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Disclaimer: Although the contents of this post are from a RugbyWA News Feed, no RugbyWA staff member or representative actually made this post - the username and avatar are used purely to identify the source of the information.

vCash
    looks like hes determined to keep same backline which i still think needs to change so we can better position ourselves in attack

Champion
    vCash
    yeow both pally flankers starting me thinks if digby doesnt get a game soon he will go back over east.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Hilgendork"???

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    fixed....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    2 more days can't wait - glad Fava is back

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    For some comments by Mitch at Thursday morning's training run, about the loose forward selections and why Matt Giteau stays at flyhalf while Jimmy Hilgendorf is on the bench, see my article on Sportal:
    "Doherty earns start
    by: Rick Boyd
    Sportal"
    http://www.sportal.com.au/union.asp?i=news&id=94898

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hey Rick, on my recollection of last season Doherty started at #6 against the Brumbies, Hurricanes, Chiefs, Bulls and Stormers?
    David Pusey was the only other to start there with eight starts including the last six and first three this year.
    Sorry mate, but we got up Spiro...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Hey Rick, on my recollection of last season Doherty started at #6 against the Brumbies, Hurricanes, Chiefs, Bulls and Stormers?
    David Pusey was the only other to start there with eight starts including the last six and first three this year.
    Sorry mate, but we got up Spiro...
    I'm not getting your point here Burgs. You have to speak slowly for us lowly hacks. Didn't I say he had five starts and eight run ons in 2006?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was going off your opening paragraphs Rick were you say:

"Flanker Luke Doherty will make his debut start for the Western Force as blindside flanker for this Saturday's Investec Super 14 match against the Lions at Subiaco Oval.

The 195cm Doherty comes into the starting line-up for the first time to replace injured flanker David Pusey for the week-four Super 14 home match."

A debut is a debut, you don't debut every season?
    I will concede that I skipped over half of your third paragraph, where you qualify it, to get to the other positional changes however, the first two paragraphs are what I had issue with and I imagine that is how the majority of us would have read it (well, the forwards anyway )

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I was going off your opening paragraphs Rick were you say:

"Flanker Luke Doherty will make his debut start for the Western Force as blindside flanker for this Saturday's Investec Super 14 match against the Lions at Subiaco Oval.

The 195cm Doherty comes into the starting line-up for the first time to replace injured flanker David Pusey for the week-four Super 14 home match."

A debut is a debut, you don't debut every season?
    I will concede that I skipped over half of your third paragraph, where you qualify it, to get to the other positional changes however, the first two paragraphs are what I had issue with and I imagine that is how the majority of us would have read it (well, the forwards anyway )
    Fair enough point -- actually I started my first para saying something about his first run on game for 2006 but the Sportal subs changed it to this debut nonsense, which sounds like it was his first game ever. Educated followers of the Force like what you and me is know that it's referring to 2007 but I suppose it might confuse the uninitiated. A shining example of how we steadfast defenders of the public truth (journalists, if you didn't recognise the reference) are at the mercy of the uncaring blue pencil of the sub-editor, who so often reduces our careful word-smithing to print pretzels.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Rick - do you have anything to do with the live onlne scoring provided by RugbyWA?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Digby is going to need game time soon...

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Champion
    vCash
    i believe i said that shaun. dw the rugby season kicks offsoon. you mitgh have to go watch wanneroo to see him play

vCash
    like the lineup but GITEAU is way more affective at 12 please move him there at least for 1 half. i think richard brown should start to but a great lineup overall and should hopefully overcome the lions

I agree digby needs a game. last year he was the only back who showed any penatration and he would be a great impact player to come around 60 minute mark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast