I realize that I'm a bit late in this discussion but I found it interesting. Being new to the world of rugby union (and...though I hate to admit it, I have watched a few rugby league games), I found it fascinating that they play so much of it for so long a period of time. In England for example I found it mind-boggling that they're at it for as long as they are. I mean they have the Guinness Premiership, the Heineken Cup, and the 6 Nations tourney's all running at the same time. Why couldn't they make the 6 Nations a bi-annual event and the H-Cup every four years.

The Southern Hemisphere is the same way...I realize that I'm a yank from a country where Rugby is still in it's infancy and that I probably don't have a proper grasp of the history of this tourney and all, but couldn't the Tri-Nations be played every other year?

I'm not saying that the NFL has all the answers, but what the author of the article said was true. In addition to the pro league, we also have the college ranks playing football at the same time and during the summer (May-August)we have what's called Arena League Football which is the same basic premise played on a smaller indoor field and is generally a faster paced game. But the players that are in the NFL are prohibited from playing in that league because they wouldn't be as sharp for their own teams in the NFL.

Again...just some rantings from a newbee in the U.S.A.

God bless and thanks for letting me have a say.