Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LOWEST SCORING SUPER 14 RUGBY MATCH EVER

vCash

LOWEST SCORING SUPER 14 RUGBY MATCH EVER

the brumbies just beat the reds 6-3 in a pretty funny game. there was so many mistakes. the brumbies are in big trouble though they havent scored a try in over 3 hours of rugby(scince round 1) what is happing to the almighty aussie attack!!!! were did all of the trys go

for a match report go to http://www.super14.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=1984

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm more disappointed in the reds, I even tipped them to win and they really should have. So much wasted ball.

vCash
    yea definatly they should have scored with all that possesion and time in 22.
    and that high takle lost them the game he should have been sent off anyway they lost and are going to have to improve and SCORE

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Glad I didn't head over to the mine to watch it now
    Thought it was going to be a cracker and I was missing out...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I see Knuckles and his entourage were there - hope they were suitably inspired.... What a rubbish game!

Hope Knuckles et al plan coming to Subi next weekend to see how rugby should be played.

Lowest ever score in Super rugby - almost a waste of my time. But hey, it was still rugby....

vCash
    yea it was a good game to watch and alot happend but it wasnt worth going out to see.

vCash
    I wouldn't say it was a good game to watch.... more an incredibly frustrating game to watch. Very tedious and the amount of wasted ball was just ridiculous. There wasn't a lack in line breaks but a very obvious lack of translating opportunities into scores.

3 yellow cards... numerous punch ups... just all very scrappy.

So wish I didn't tip the reds now.

6 - 3... makes 8 - 7 look like a half decent scoreline now...

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Expect to see a couple of articles about Eddies comments on refs - again
    Morlocks face is a mess - table looks good though

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Mortlocks face was a mess with grass but in his own words he "went off with blood and the intention of coming back on"...thats why one of his own team mates had to put him in the recovery position!

I think the most entertaining thing of the evening was watching the little brumbies kid at half time of the warm up game that wouldnt have been older then 3 but had perfect ball skills and was even using a kicking tee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess
    I wouldn't say it was a good game to watch.... more an incredibly frustrating game to watch. Very tedious and the amount of wasted ball was just ridiculous. There wasn't a lack in line breaks but a very obvious lack of translating opportunities into scores.

3 yellow cards... numerous punch ups... just all very scrappy.

So wish I didn't tip the reds now.

6 - 3... makes 8 - 7 look like a half decent scoreline now...

Excellent post.

It was actually the most free flowing the Reds have been, I think it had something to do with their loss.

For me it was worth watching just to lip read what Eggie was saying in the 78th minute... gold.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Reds fume as Johansson cited

The wheels are coming off quicker than a low swinging chariot!!!

Reds fume as Johansson cited

By Jim Tucker
    February 18, 2007

QUEENSLAND centre Lloyd Johansson faces suspension for a high tackle and irate coach Eddie Jones courted a fine by blasting the refereeing as "outrageous" at Suncorp Stadium last night.

The abrasive Queenslanders were denied 6-3 by the Brumbies when their grinding, intense challenge was snuffed out by a Julian Huxley penalty goal nine minutes from full-time.

The Reds finished with 14 men when replacement Johansson was sin-binned for a reckless swinging arm tackle to the jaw which poleaxed Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock.

Johansson will find it hard to argue to a judiciary officer that it was a reflex action when Mortlock cut back on the angle on a pass from centre partner Gene Fairbanks.

It was a desperate, high lunge of poor technique and Mortlock, concussed two weeks ago against the Chiefs, said he was a relieved figure to escape with just stitches to the jaw.

The combative first half hour which revved the crowd faded into long periods of stagnant play with a slippery, sweat-covered ball.

The 25,170 fans sentenced to watch the lowest scoring contest in 12 years of Super 12/14 rugby should all have been given a free seat at Jones's post-match press conference.

Jones was incensed that referee Matt Goddard's handling of the scrum contest was a handbrake on the superiority of the Queenslanders in that key area.

"How much is the fine? I thought it was outrageous," said Jones, knowing he was courting censure.

"We definitely had the strongest scrum in the first half and we get penalised for collapsing a scrum. It's disgraceful.

"The ref wouldn't talk to our hooker and penalised our prop (Rodney Blake) for packing too low. Props are supposed to.

"It's not good enough for rugby. We've got to get better refs and refs have got to study scrums. That said it didn't cost us the game."

Reds skipper John Roe had that answer after the home side simply did not have the polish to turn the pressure into points from a series of lineouts and scrums deep in the Brumbies quarter. Poor passing and 15 handling errors nobbled the Reds while the resilient Brumbies tackled and scrambled stoutly.

"What beat us was composure. The Brumbies had it. We certainly had enough commitment, ball and chances," Roe lamented.

Replacement hooker Stephen Moore (knee) and inside centre punt Peter Hynes (ankle) were casualties.

The Sunday Mail (Qld)

Few highlights as Brumbies edge Reds

Greg Growden
    Sunday, February 18, 2007

Reds 3 Brumbies 6

NO tries. Plenty of errors. Heaps of passion. Endless niggle. And somehow the ACT Brumbies held on to enjoy the most excruciating of victories over the Queensland Reds last night.

There were few highlights, but enormous intensity when the Reds bombed their chances of winning the match by making too many blunders - including a horrendous high tackle by their centre Lloyd Johannson in the final minutes which enabled the Brumbies to win the lowest-scoring match in the history of Super rugby.

For 46 minutes the game was locked at 3-3, with neither side looking as if they would ever score a try - until Johannson nearly decapitated ACT captain Stirling Mortlock, which led to the match-winning penalty.

Before the match, Queensland coach Eddie Jones played mind games, first arguing that Mortlock should not be allowed to play because he had been concussed. Even though Mortlock had suffered his head injury a fortnight ago, Jones argued that he should be out for three weeks.

That ploy didn't work, so instead Jones focused on the young referee Matt Goddard and ACT halfback George Gregan. In a bid to destabilise his old Wallabies captain and put pressure on Goddard, Jones, on Thursday, stressed it was imperative that the referee kept charge of the game, and that Gregan was not allowed to instead become the on-field referee.

The fun and games continued at kick-off when Jones decided to fiddle around with his starting line-up, with winger Peter Hynes suddenly appearing in the centres, and newcomer Brando Va'alu surprisingly appearing on the left wing.

And all this swirling uncertainty certainly worked for the Reds early on, when they dominated territory, hassled their opponents, put the pressure on at the right moment, but through their own inability to finish off, failed to get the points to go ahead.

After Clinton Schifcofske, Mark Gerrard, Berrick Barnes, Gene Fairbanks and Ben Tunes crashed through the sideline advertising signs, Goddard eventually calmed it all down, and to everyone's surprise sent the two openside flankers George Smith and David Croft to the sinbin.

Then again, it was the trend of the first half. Outright confusion all over the field.

For virtually all of the first half, the Reds were hovering near the Brumbies' tryline, but could not press ahead. They repeatedly took the wrong option, wasting numerous attacking overlaps, or went the wrong way from the scrumbase, which saw possession squandered in midfield. At times, the Reds backline displayed a complete lack of understanding or cohesion, which included too many passes going behind their intended targets.

The exasperation seemed to have ended at the 22nd minute when Va'alu, in his first touch in Super 14 football, broke through to score. Goddard, however, disallowed the try, going back to a previous infringement, where Queensland still got the penalty. Why the try was disallowed was another moment of confusion.

As bewildering was the inability of numerous senior players in the Brumbies to keep their composure, but that was inevitable due to the intensity of the opposition.

Yet Queensland's inability to complete tries worked against them, and saw a measly 3-3 scoreline at half-time, rather than the Reds being substantially ahead at the break.

BRUMBIES 6 (S Mortlock, J Huxley pen goals) bt REDS 3 (B Barnes pen goal). Crowd: 25,170. Ref: M Goddard.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    what a game a complete waste of time (mine) to watch such a poor game both teams going no where fast

vCash
    can i also just say that if anyone takes young children to a rugby game for the sake of the people around you please make sure they dont sh*t in thier pants! I nearly threw up!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicStalker
    can i also just say that if anyone takes young children to a rugby game for the sake of the people around you please make sure they dont sh*t in thier pants! I nearly threw up!
    Thanks for that mental image AS

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    that'll be you and your sprog next season AS .....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast