Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FYI Big wrap from NZ Media

Prospect Contributor Gary Black's Avatar
    vCash

FYI Big wrap from NZ Media

Good Shepherd Guides Force To Upset

17/02/2007
    Marc Hinton
    John Mitchell's Western Force have pulled off the upset of the Rebel Sport Super 14 season, last year's wooden spooners toppling the heavily favoured Bulls 30-27 at their Loftus Versfeld stronghold in Pretoria.

Mitch's men came from 9-17 down at halftime to clinch victory with a spectacular try to prop Gareth Hardy a dozen minutes from the end that put their noses in front for the run home.

And the Perth-based Australian side, who had just one win in their debut 2006 season, then clung on superbly over the closing minutes to twice repel Bulls' attempts at big drives for the line via the lineout.

Twice the Bulls could have levelled the scores with handy penalties as the closing minutes ticked down, but Victor Matfield was determined to go for the win and in the end paid the price as the West Australians' committed defence won the day.

The Force were guided to victory, their second in a row in the republic to put them temporarily at least on top of the standings, by a superb man-of-the-match performance from left winger Cameron Shepherd.

The Wallaby utility back completed a match haul of 25 points, scoring two of the Force's three second-half tries as they came storming back into the game, and adding three penalties and three conversions in a faultless display of goalkicking.

The Bulls, who have now lost two of their first three matches, would have been stunned by the result. Back-to-back semifinalists the last two years, they consider Loftus a home fortress and must have been banking on collecting winning points against Mitchell's sophomore side.

But they hadn't accounted for the steel of this much-improved side whom the former All Blacks coach has marshaled into an effective all-round unit.

The Bulls had looked to be cruising with a 17-9 halftime lead, tries to centre JP Nel and two conversions and a penalty for Morne Steyn answered only by three Shepherd penalties.

But as the second spell unfolded the Force, with halfback Matt Henjak in slippery form as he sparked that talented backline, refused to go away.

Shepherd's first try got them back to within a point early in the second spell, and his second to within four, at 23-27, as the Bulls had eased out to what looked to be a match-winning lead when big No 8 Anton Leonard powered over for a five-pointer that had given the home side a 27-16 advantage.

And then the stage was set for prop Hardy to grab the unlikeliest of tries, the big front-rower charging over in the corner as good continuity from the Force eventually wore down the Bulls defence. Shepherd's excellent sideline 67th-minute conversion stretched the lead to 30-27, and not even a late sinbinning for Force inside centre Junior Pelesasa could deny them their glory.

Mitchell, who took over the new franchise after losing his job as All Blacks coach, was rapt with a victory that reaffirms the progress being made in Perth.

"The guys had to be pretty steely tonight and stiff on defence because we had to absorb a lot of pressure," he said. "This is a player group who certainly play for each other."

Skipper Nathan Sharpe, who shook off a second-half knock to the head to lead the way home, said to win at Loftus proved the strides the Force were taking in 2007.

"I'm so proud of the boys," he added. "We could have let the game get away from us, but we dug in, came back and put the sword into them in the end."

Shepherd, who had a match that must have impressed Wallaby coach John Connolly, said there had been no shortage of resolve coming into the match. "We knew we had to put it together," he said, adding a vote of thanks for Kiwi kicking coach Daryl Halligan who has been helping him with his game.

"It's one of those things you try to concentrate on and I'm very happy the way it went tonight," he said of his perfect kicking effort.

The Force retuern to Perth to host the LIons next week, while the Bulls will look to get their show back on the road when they entertain the winless Chiefs in Pretoria.

Bulls 27: JP Nel 2, Anton Leonard tries; Morne Steyn 2 pen 3 con.

Western Force 30: Cameron Shepherd 2, Gareth Hardy tries; Shepherd 3 pen 3 con. Ht: 17-9.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Welcome aboard Gary - not a bad start !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Great coverage report, lets see if the eastern state give us the credit we are due...I somehow doubt it...
    Hows it going by the way mate, 1000th member on the site, well done...Enjoy the site and keep the posts coming bro....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Credit, probably. Respect, unlikely.

That's not meant as any disrespect. The east newspapers only gave the tahs some respect after they lost the grandfinal... They're funny sometimes.

Good article although I'm not sure how heavily favoured the Bulls were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    although I'm not sure how heavily favoured the Bulls were.
    Pull the other one Sage. They've something like 80% wins at Loftus. Our boys had wone 2 matches out of 15.

vCash
    Umm, you aware of how many Bulls were injured?

vCash
    Make all the excuses you want Sage, they didn't play as well as us, they still had some of thier test players, and they lost, why make excuses for them...I am sure they will make all the same excuses, we weren't at full strength, etc, fact is, look at the scoreboard...

vCash
    What the hell are you talking about? I said they were going to win. Read the whole thread mate...

I was defending the force and saying how it wasn't that unexpected that they won... Bloody hell mate, call off the f-ing dogs.

vCash
    my bad bro, i thought you were making excuses for the Bulls, it was an honest mistake dude, sorry man...

vCash
    Sorry...

I was defending myself cos shasta was pointing out some massively erroneous comment in my post. Basically saying how the force couldn't possibly have been expected to win.. People should be having a go at Mr. No-Faith over there.

I even called it on the GTT Podcast and JB's Tipping comp... So there.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Good report above, not much is said on the Blue Bulls site though. It would be good to be able to understand Afrikaans to see what the threads are saying. Any interpreters out there

vCash
    Probably a whole mess of Woe is us, we've got so many injuries it's not fair, they tackled too hard and they ran too fast.

Boo Hoo that was us last year,

Boy did it feel good to see some other poor bugger sitting silent in the stands shaking his head with the (now familiar) 'how did we lose that one' expression on his face.

Now it's going to feel extra good to be part of the crowd dancing at the end of a huge win, never been there yet, I can't wait!

C'mon the

vCash
    a win is a win is a win (say no more)

vCash
    As they say, you can only play what's in front of you. The Force did that.

vCash
    Nice one Gary.

Yeah Marc hinton has come out a couple of times with fairly positive Force articles from memory in fact the site www.xtramsn.co.nz (go to the rugby or dedicated Super 14 section) has a more balanced view on some of the Aussie teams than the eastern states sites.

But while the Bulls had more than a few injuries they were the favoured team on the odds which was fair given the comparative records and that they did have a fair bit of strike power.

Certainly the injuries were a factor but one every S14 team has to manage but it was a good tight game against a quality opposition on the road it's a feat not to be ignored.

I think some of the kiwi commentators know John Mitchells magic of old and that with the talented players now in the fold that the Force will grow into a threat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast