Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What rugby memory do you have that has improved over time

vCash

What rugby memory do you have that has improved over time

I thought i'd ask our members out there what old rugby memories, or any other stories for that matter, that they have in which the recollections have begun to be exaggerated and you have always got to tell the tale a bit better the next time...
    For example , i will never forget the first try i scored in Rugby union, it was for the Riverina army rugby club and we were playing the local university team at their home ground at the uni, it was a 3rd grade match and i had only played three games prior to this one, so i was still pretty new to the game having come over from league...Anyhow, i was still learning about rucks and mauls, cleanouts and pick and drives, etc, and after halftime we were slightly behind on the scoreboard, but nothing a try wouldn't fix...
    So we run back out and play good hard rugby for the next 15 minutes or so with no change in the scores, and the game was slowly winding down...( now as an aside, i happened to have a lot of mates who played for the uni team which is kinda relevant as you will see...)
    Any how, after a particularily hard ruck of which i was on the bottom getting sliced and diced by opposition and my own teamates i was the last person to emerge and slowly got to my feet checking out where i had to go next, and of course the next ruck is out over the other side of the pitch, and it looked like the ball had made it to the back of the ruck, so being the ingenious prop forward i decided i would wait in the centres for the ball to return so i could be first in to clean out when the ball eventually came back...( I believe the official rugby term is seagulling)
    Sure enough the ball was coming my way so i took stock of the situation, 40metres from the tryline, our fastest player outside, and another speed demon inside me, and in front of me a weazley little fellow half my size and an equally weazley winger, no fullback....Next thing you know the ball is in the inside centres hands and i am running as fast as i have ever run, just to keep up but failing badly....The weazel makes the tackle and as he goes down he pops the ball up for me to run onto, approx 35metres out from the line with one player to beat, a winger outside me, and no fullback...
    Now if we freeze play there we can analyze the situation...I had played 90% of the game, been in countless rucks and mauls, not to mention scrums as well, still relatively inexperienced in rugby and seagulling out in the centres, and i had a perfect chance to pass the ball to our winger for the try....
    But, i knew i could beat the weazel on the wing, so i threw a dummy to my winger...Well at this point the coach looked like he was gonna come on the pitch and drag me away as somewhere in his frontrowers manual their is a no kicking, no passing, and especially no dummy pass...clause...Of which i had just thrown out the window...
    But, the rugby gods were smiling on me that day as the weazel fell for the dummy, and all that was left in front of me was daylight, and a fullback coming across at full tilt to try to stop me making the line...Let me tell you i was making calculations on wether i would make it or not the whole way there...but i also had my winger who had caught up to me again by this time, but now he was on my inside calling for the ball, no screaming for the ball, and the coach and reserve bench were also screaming at me to pass the bloody thing (edited language) but i must admit i had white line fever, and it felt good too...So, ten metres to go and the fullback has almost mown me down so what do you think i did....You guessed it, i threw the second dummy in 30 seconds, i think the coach fainted, but surprisingly it was at this stage that i realised that the supporters of both teams were running along the sidelines cheering for me, thats right, both teams were cheering for me to score, and seeing this huge man running in the cetres and throwing dummy passes was gold entertainment in their eyes...Well as you probably guessed by now, the fullback was caught, hook line and sinker by my second dummy to the inside and changed his tack to tackle the winger who had come inside me( who was absolutely screaming his lungs out for the ball) but realised too late that he had been sold the best dummy of his life and that now the big fella was gonna make it after all...5metres out i started my dive so even if someone could tackle me, they weren't gonna halt 120kgs worth of momentum from crossing the line, and as i slid along all i could hear from the sidelines was a huge cheer from just about everyone on the sidelines (except the coach who had passed out by this stage) and as i crossed the line i was swamped by the supporters who had run down the touchline egging me on....It was pandemonium, and my most memorable rugby memory ever, as i also won Man of the match and even the other team made a special mention of the experience in the speeches after the game...

So, whats your favourite yarn, or embellished tale you would like to share with your fellow twf mates...Let us know...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    So, whats your favourite yarn, or embellished tale you would like to share with your fellow twf mates...Let us know...
    I think you may well have blitzed our field as well with that one mate, that is truely GOLD!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    The bar has been set too high for me.....fantastic story Frontrow......I reckon that has to be one of the best posts I have read.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Cheers mate, but i know a few of the fellas out there have got a yarn or two they can share with us....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Bonus points if you can put your recollection side-by-side with the same story as seen by someone else there. Would love to hear how the winger or coach viewed the same incident...

vCash
    Holy crap, that is a brilliant story. There's no topping that mate, you win.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I was in the Riverina comp about the same time and the video of Frontrowers try looked something akin to this...

http://gotheforce.com/uploaded/1_1159539916.mpg

vCash
    The endings were very similar indeed...falling over the line...

Andy, this took place 14yrs ago and i haven't heard from me old team mates for a long time, but believe me, we still talk about that game...We also reminise about trips to griffith for games which takes about two hours by bus, but the return trip takes almost five hours as we are oblidged to stop at every hotel on the way home for a round....but that's another story...

Last edited by frontrow; 15-02-07 at 13:07.

vCash
    Bloody good story mate. I envy you

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Frontrow, TEF mentioned to me this arvo to read this as I hadn't caught it during the day .. Very glad I did - great story but even better story telling!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    ...and as i crossed the line i was swamped by the supporters who had run down the touchline egging me on....
    walked?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    ...changed his tack to tackle the winger who had come inside me
    Geez

There was even time for that?

I have no anecdotes to rival this, but I will ask my dad. He played for West Nile RFC in the 1950's or 60's and has told me countless stories - he was obviously a legend and just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Could easily have played at international level. According to his stories.

But he did play with a few army guys, one corporal who later became somewhat famous when he rose up the ranks - Idi Amin. (Definitely true, I've seen the team photo. Idi was around 6'5" and quite slim and very fleet of foot. Played wing 3/4)

I'll ask, even pay attention to him, and then come back to the forum.

Last edited by Ecky; 15-02-07 at 20:44. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Even Scotland beating England in 1990 to win the Grand Slam doesn't compare to this, does it TEF? Well, maybe.......!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky

But he did play with a few army guys, one corporal who later became somewhat famous when he rose up the ranks - Idi Amin. (Definitely true, I've seen the team photo. Idi was around 6'5" and quite slim and very fleet of foot. Played wing 3/4)
    Jedi & Frontrower.......didnt we get this answer right at the quizz night???

vCash
    My recollection of that night is a wee bit hazy, but i recall something like that being mentioned, unless my beer was talking to me again...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast