Thread: Our cup runneth over: Catchpole

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Our cup runneth over: Catchpole

Our cup runneth over: Catchpole

Jamie Pandaram
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Wallabies' World Cup aspirations may have stalled before the competition gets under way because too many players are being considered for the side and combinations will not have time to properly develop, according to former captain Ken Catchpole.

Australia's finest would need to work in fast-forward motion during the next seven months if they were to have a realistic chance of winning the Cup in October, said the legendary halfback, who captained the Wallabies 13 times in the 1960s.

Speaking with the Herald during a meeting between 14 former Wallabies captains and the ARU at the game's headquarters in North Sydney yesterday, Catchpole expressed doubts that the 45 players selected for an extended Cup squad were genuine contenders.

"I think [the Wallabies' coaching staff] really need to have a concerted effort to narrow down the number of players they consider [will be] playing at the World Cup, and give them as much time, both for themselves and the combination of the team, as possible," Catchpole said.

"They've got to start pairing scrumhalves and flyhalves, perhaps centre/wingers, the second-rowers, flankers, and get a game plan - not necessarily just one game plan - and pretty much know how the other major teams in the world are going to play, and develop a plan to combat that.

"Some of the younger players look promising but whether they will be able to make the grade and step up by the World Cup is a little doubtful, I think."

However, Wallabies coach John Connolly said the system in place not only aimed to create depth for a side that will attempt to win a third World Cup for Australia, but also set up an experienced player pool for future campaigns. "The game is not the same game we had five years ago, and definitely not the same game we had 25 years ago," said Connolly. "They had five Tests a year and now we've got up to 13 Tests a year and on top of that the Super 14 and maybe a couple of trials.

"With that kind of schedule you are going to get variations in form, players will fall in and out of form, and you need back-ups.

"For the Wallabies going forward, we also need to create competition for places. We have George Smith competing with Phil Waugh, Wycliff Palu competing with David Lyons, Rocky Elsom competing with Hugh McMeniman, and all those players will be around for this World Cup and the next. We are so much further advanced than we were 12 months ago."

Catchpole reserved judgement on the veteran half and five-eighth partnership of George Gregan and Stephen Larkham, saying the Super 14 would show whether the pair should again wear the No.9 and 10 jerseys for a third successive World Cup.

"They will certainly be considered, I have no doubt about that, we'll have to wait and see in the Super 14 and the Test matches as to what is the best combination to go with," he said.

"A couple of younger players I think could fill that position reasonably well, scrumhalf particularly but also perhaps the flyhalf position, so I think that will be a challenge both to them and for our coach."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Don't discount Wallabies: Loane

By Adrian Warren
    February 13, 2007

FORMER Australia captain Mark Loane believes Australia could spring an upset victory in this year's World Cup with its traditional athleticism proving decisive.

Distinguished back rower Loane, who played 28 Tests between 1973 and 1982, was one of more than a dozen Wallabies captains who assembled at Australian Rugby Union headquarters today for a briefing on the peak body's 2007 plans.

Loane felt coach John Connolly's knowledge of conditions in France and Britain, where this year's World Cup will be staged, could be a big asset to the Wallabies.

"It's part of the Australian personality, I think they like being underdogs and I think we might just sneak over there and surprise a lot of people,'' Loane said.

"Particularly having John Connolly, who has had a vast amount of experience in French and British conditions, I think he's a prime person to actually guide the team to perhaps an upset victory.''

Loane said a successful World Cup revolved around having an immovable tight-head prop, three decent lineout jumpers and a good goalkicker.

"They are very, very simple things. I think Australia has always been blessed with superb athleticism, particularly in the backs, so if we can give them that platform, a decent scrum, a decent lineout with three jumpers, and a decent goalkicker, I think the Australia athleticism may well carry the day.''

Loane suggested New Zealand's controversial policy of resting its key players through the first half of the Super 14 tournament could backfire.

He also thought the All Blacks would carry a "whole extra engine'' of expectations when they got on the plane to Europe.

"They are doing a peculiar thing of trying to protect their players from playing too much rugby, it's a very, very strange thing,'' Loane said.

"If you are going to be a very good bricklayer, you need to lay bricks, if you're going to be a good carpenter, you have to drive a few nails into pieces of wood.

"It's a peculiar thing to me, they are going to try to make their rugby players better by not allowing them to play rugby at certain times, so I think it might be very very difficult for New Zealand because of the internal expectations.''

Loane felt New Zealand's World Cup campaigns followed a traditional pattern.

"They tend to be very scared the first year, the second year they start to peak, the third they win everything, the fourth year they are doing exceptionally well and then they get to the World Cup and frequently they are just a bit off the boil, so they've been peaking at the wrong time.''

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    onya Lurch...you have Faith....