Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paul fields Force interest

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Paul fields Force interest

Crikey
    Wonder if the boys would make him do the nudie run he threatened in '06 if we won more than three matches (I think it was?) that season as payment for joining us
    Tai is great but you would be hard pressed to go past his cousin if he was available.

Paul fields Force interest

By Bret Harris, The Australian
    February 14, 2007

AUSTRALIA hooker Jeremy Paul may continue his career in this country after the World Cup, but with Western Force rather than the Brumbies.

Paul, 30, will be out of contract at the end of the year and has said he is looking at overseas options.

It is understood an English club has a strong interest in Paul, Australia's most capped hooker, with 72 appearances.

But Force has joined the Brumbies in making a formal expression of interest to the ARU, which is looking to put an offer to the hooker in the next few weeks.

"Jeremy has to weigh up his options," ARU high-performance manager Pat Wilson said. "We'll put an offer to him which reflects his standing and see what he wants to do."

Force's level of interest in Paul may be determined by what the team's hookers, Brendan Cannon and Tai McIsaac, decide to do next year.

Cannon will turn 34 in April but has indicated he wants to keep playing with Force. McIsaac's future is less clear.

Australia coach John Connolly named five hookers - Cannon, Adam Freier, Stephen Moore, Paul and Tatafu Polota-Nau - in a 47-man World Cup training squad in December, but McIsaac was omitted.

If McIsaac, 31, does not receive an ARU top-up to his contract he may consider playing overseas, which would create a vacancy for Paul at Force. And if Paul leaves the Brumbies, the ACT-based side is expected to go after Moore, who is one of the only players to receive an expression of interest from all four Australian Super 14 teams.

Moore is expected to be named on the Queensland Reds' reserves bench for the third week in succession for the match against the Brumbies in Brisbane on Saturday night.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

Jeremy Paul keen on the force

Force must make further strides: Mitch
    Tim Clarke
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007

After taking a massive step forward against the Stormers last week, Western Force coach John Mitchell says his developing side needs to take another if it is to complete a perfect tour of South Africa against the Bulls on Saturday.

Naming an unchanged side apart from the axing of Scott Fava, who fell foul of the club's tough in-house alcohol policy for the second time, Mitchell said the club record 22-3 win in Cape Town was a big gain - but needed to be replicated in Pretoria.

"There's no doubt these young men have the footballing ability. What they need to improve is their execution of a game plan and keep their concentration for the full 80 minutes," Mitchell said.

"Last week, I believe we got off the mark with attitude and delivery. It's important that we maintain that momentum and keep progressing."

Mitchell stood firm on his promise to drop Fava, after he returned an alcohol reading of 0.043 - over the club's 0.04 limit - the morning after the win over the Stormers.

He was replaced in the squad by Matt Hodgson, who will start at openside flanker, with Richard Brown moving to No. 8.

Hodgson said although he sympathised with his teammate, he now had a job to do.

"I am definitely happy to be in the 22 ...obviously I am disappointed for Scott missing out, but I am just going to make the most of my opportunity and put my best foot forward," Hodgson said.

Mitchell said the Bulls were a formidable force, particularly at home, with one of the biggest packs in the game and one of the best line-out jumpers in Victor Matfield.

"But there lies our opportunity, and we intend to give it a good crack," Mitchell said.

Meanwhile, Brendan Cannon will become only the 14th player in Super 14 history to bring up a century of games when he faces the Bulls.

Cannon will reach 100 appearances after a career spanning time at the Reds, Waratahs and Force, and following an admission earlier in the week a serious neck injury had him considering his future last year.

After being injured during a scrum engagement against the Highlanders, Cannon was later found to have severe compression of two vertebrae, with bone chipping off, lodging in a nerve canal and affecting his left side.

"I wondered with the type of injury it was and playing where I do, whether it was worth the risk of going back," Cannon said.

The 33 year-old has now said he is keen to extend his career beyond his contract with the Force, which ends this season.

That news would interest Wallabies hooker Jeremy Paul, who is reportedly keen to continue his career in Australia after the World Cup, but with the Force rather than the Brumbies.

A newspaper report said Paul - who will be out of contract at the end of the year - is considering overseas options, but that the Force has joined the Brumbies in making a formal expression of interest to the ARU.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...14/11714052748

vCash
    I reckonJP would be a good investment, as cannon will be nearing his used by date in the next few years, and if tai feels the need to leave we can rely on another Wallaby to fill the void...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    That would be awesome, i really have always rated Paul, as long as Mitch can sort out his off-field problems.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Never rated Paul, don't really have a good reason, just never have!

Luke Holmes might be a little pissed at this news.

vCash
    The most intresting thing for me is that the Force is consistently being a Club that pretty big names want to be involved with! Great if Paul wants to come across as you never know what your playing stocks will be in a year.

And somehow I dont think they'll be paying out a Gits / Tiquri like salary and the more internationally experienced players you have knock on your door the better - especially for the academy guys who get to train with them. bring it on It lets the guys know that if they keep misfiring than it's not just the guys in the squad that have an eye on your position but guys from the east as well.

vCash
    Well put nick, i am beginning to have a love/hate (too strong words really but you get the idea) relationship when it comes to your views...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Yeah unfortunately I tend just to speak my mind, which has on more than one occasion made me not very popular...

Im also pretty new to this whole thing, usually my rugby opinions tend to be post match over a few beers the whole forum thing is very different.

vCash
    Force must make further strides: Mitch
    Tim Clarke
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hodgson said although he sympathised with his teammate, he now had a job to do.

"I am definitely happy to be in the 22 ...obviously I am disappointed for Scott missing out, but I am just going to make the most of my opportunity and put my best foot forward," Hodgson said.
    "And if I manage to keep my spot in the squad perhaps I can learn not to use so many cliches."

vCash
    What the Force would need to consider with Paul is his injury problems . I think a concern for any team looking at him.

vCash
    Haven't really followed Paul's career he's a bit injury prone is he? To be honest I always prefered the Wallabys front row with Cannon in it but Freier also looked on the money too good line outs and really mobile around the park seemed to make a good impact on the game...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Freier is a flea looking for a dog

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Freier is a flea looking for a dog
    I see you feel strongly on that one...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry, but he annoys me in how he plays (especially his persistent “limpet like” bludge at the back of the rolling maul), he annoys me in how he portrays himself in the media (classic being the "Knuckles phone call") and it annoys me that he is seen by some as being worthy of a Wallaby Cap.
    He's a chump.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Well I'll have to bow to your knowledge on that one, I really dont like the Tahs to be honest, well actually the Force is the only Australian team I follow but I try to pay attention to all things rugby - never miss a game anyway (unless foxtel stops broadcast the !@#$**) But I will keep an eye out next game for any bludging on his behalf.

So lets have some straight shooting here no hedging of the bets who is, for your mind, the Guru at Hooker for Australian Rugby right now? who should lead the charge against the rest of the world?

Dont worry I'll put my money where my mouth is Brendon Cannon for me despite his at times dodgy throwing he is just a tough nut that will not give up. Evey time the AB's go up against him he just digs deeper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast