Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting new option for stadium

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Stole my thunder Hasbeen, from my dilapidated memory it was 37,037?

All good ideas, but I just want a (right) solution to suit the needs of the square codes for up to 50 years.

On the membership issue though, I think I'll be a member no matter where they play. Other than my wife and kids and work, The Force takes up my passion. As long as I can see the game and feel the atmosphere I'll be there.

I wanna know about the "Party Drugs Blitz Brains" where do I get some (hahaha - not that I'd know what to do with them if I got 'em)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    There was 37000 - 38000 at one of teh games last year, can't remember which one off the top of my head...

Maybe next year it will drop another 8000 and then we can move to MES...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Just checked, 37,037 at the Brumbies match last year...

Edit: Good memory WF2006

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah, you're right sorry mate, it was 37,000 however I would still put that 7k down to novelty factor of being the first game etc.
    I guess my point is, if 30k turned up to such a "terrible" venue and we only build a 30-35k replacement then there can't be too many staying away because of the venue, or somebody is cocking up the estimates.
    I believe that if we achieve anything greater than tenth in the next two seasons that a 40k stadium will be the absolute minimum to accomodate the interest and growth. What we can't afford is for people to be turned away with a full house sign.
    The best thing to happen for the state would be to compete to host a Commonwealth Games so we can justify building the appropriate future stadia now!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry numbers Nazis

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That's one cool looking stadium. Pre fabbed in China and assembled on site in a little over a year. Probably at a huge cost savings too.

Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    Why are these solutions being proposed so close to decision time, ie burswood and karrakatta....The two best ideas are these two and no one put the idea forward initially, i don't understand why they wouldn't want public support to grow over time rather than throw it in the mix at the business end of the decision making process...
    My choice would still be Burswood...

Whatever Marrons financial interest are, I'd guess he realized that at this late moment he would have to present an option that was way better than the others to get them to consider it. As far as public opinion & support goes, if your goverment is anything like ours up here, you opinion means 0! They are going to do what they want and what's in the best interest of them and their friends.

Senior Player
    vCash
    That first game would have more hype as the first ever game of the Western Force and the excitement of finally witnessing rugby in WA.

It was never feasibly going to get to that level with the conditions we had a few friday nights back

vCash
    why not look at joondalup areana while we are at it eh?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps we just build a huge one over on Rotto and we all catch the ferry over each match?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    just been reading todays paper, and there is an article with john kobelke saying that we may not even get a new stadium and that they may just rebuild subi oval. The lagoulant taskforce is just going to give the government a list of the 4/5 best options with pro's and con's of each. I smell every fan of rectangular codes (rugby union/league, soccer etc) getting shafted just so subi oval gets kept and the WAFC still runs the show.

vCash
    I suspect its worse than that - listened to John Langenous on Russell Wolfes show on 720 yesterday and he did not mention a rectangular stadium once - but he is attracted to the riverfront ideas - old power station and burswood - he also siad that he didn't have any detail on this proposal and as such couldn't recommend it or even comment on it ( guess that makes sense ! made a bit of a wise crack about if it's to good to be true then it probatley is !)
    What we need to get a rectangular stadium is a state election and put pressure on the pollies ourselves - sorry to be so cynical - hope someone else has better news on this issue

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    There is a very simple fact that nobody is mentioning. This argument (and by implication the entire process) is being driven by the mainstream media. This same mainstream media couldn't give an overweight rodent's posterior for ANY rectangular sport in this state. You can imagine that the Sunday Times would run such a story to give weight to a dodgy proposal simply because it's major merit is that it will provide another 60000 seat venue for footy matches to be played in. I smell a likely victory for a reasonable rectangular stadium option being slapped roundly by a red herring.......or am I being overly optimistic?

C'mon the

vCash
    We need to bear in mind that the Langoulant commission is solely about a high capacity multipurpose stadium. A dedicated rectangular stadium is a seperate issue, but I doubt anyone is going to do anything until the first is decided....

vCash
    A multipurpose stadium, thats the thing. With the proper planning a rectangular stadium could host Rugby, League (if they ever try to get over here again) and soccer. Not to mention Concerts as well, look at alot of stadiums in Europe, they do all of these things.
    Trouble is the pollies are all single sighted on an oval, used for only one purpose. It just dosenty make any sense !!!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    .... You can imagine that the Sunday Times would run such a story to give weight to a dodgy proposal simply because it's major merit is that it will provide another 60000 seat venue for footy matches to be played in. I smell a likely victory for a reasonable rectangular stadium option being slapped roundly by a red herring.......or am I being overly optimistic?

I imagine that the Sunday Times SHOULD be publicly supporting if not pushing a rectangular stadium. They are a News Corp business, News Corp is a major owner/investor/whatever of Foxtel AND Super 14. Its in their best financial interests to get something like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast