Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super 16?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Super 16?

See article below:

Personally, I think if "we" were to go down a two pool scenario then you would want more than two pools of eight. One round of matches is too short (only four home games) and two rounds a bit repetitive.
    I would think that two pools of ten would be the go with Pool Quarters then cross Pool Semi's.
    I agree that Argentina would need to be split into two though I don't know enough of the local scene as to how that would look.
    Probably the teams would be current S14 + 2x Argentina + Melbourne/Victoria + 2x Pacific Islands (Fiji & Samoa with Tonga split between them) + 1 x Japan.
    I can't see it happening without there being a crossover between all the nations thoughas it just doesn't break down evenly enough.

Perhaps a hypothetical break down:

Pool A
    Force
    Reds
    Bulls
    Cheetahs
    Sharks
    Chiefs
    Crusaders
    Apia (Samoa)
    Cordoba/Mendoza (Pampas)
    Tokyo?

Pool B
    Brumbies
    Waratahs
    Melbourne
    Lions
    Stormers
    Blues
    Highlanders
    Hurricanes
    Suva (Fiji)
    Buenos Aires

Waratahs like Super 16 idea

By Jon Geddes, c/o Fox Sports & Daily Telegraph
    February 12, 2007

NEW South Wales Rugby CEO Fraser Neill has backed a radical South African plan to include two teams from Argentina in an expanded Super 16 competition divided into east and west pools.

South African Rugby Union president Oregan Hoskins unveiled his proposal last week.

"We need a Super 16 and we can play it in two sections," Hoskins said. "They (the Argentine teams) can even use South Africa as their base for the first year. (Very convenient to allow you less travel!)

"The popularity of the competition is still growing and the cake to be shared can be markedly bigger."

Neill said last night it was the first he had heard of the proposition, but the idea definitely had merit.

"If they are saying they would split the competition into east and west, and we would be in a pool with the Kiwis and other eastern seaboard states, that is something we think would be beneficial," Neill said.

"It would mean we could constantly have big games played in the same timeslots at 5.30 and 7.30 every week.

"But we wouldn't want to consider it if it meant flying to both South Africa and Argentina."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I understand the logistics of splitting it into 2 rounds of 8 etc.. but that will lead to an upper league and a lower league preceived or real

- how about a straight forward competition like the world cup - with pool matches (based on previsous years rankings - hosted in one country (each country in rotation ) - then the final 8 or 6 get to play home and away games for the championship.

Could do with an excuse to visit Fiji once in a while - so long as the guys in skirts aren't infighting at the time

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I like the idea, but i can't see it becoming a reality in the near future, but it would be awesome having that much rugby on show....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    yeah i like the idea too..... honestly though what are the chances of it? slim?

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Unfortunately slim to none but "Dare to Dream", never thought I'd see the day there would be Pro Rugby in WA either!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Who ever thought the force would be 3rd on the table - without reaching for stars you will never catch the cloud with the silver lining - what are we without dreams of a better world with news coverage dominated by rugby instead of wars etc..

vCash
    TQ1, Did you drop some acid mate, still, we are in third place...Maybe being that high on the ladder is making you feel high...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    correct me if I'm wrong but if you didn't make the finals you could conceivably never play certain teams ... ever!

Am I wrong ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Prehaps !
    Altitude training for next week againest the bulls

Wouldn't it be grand to have all these teams in a competition - whatever from this competition takes - and here is as good a place as any to dream about such a competition - if enough people have the same dream like the dream of having a super 14 team in Perth - well it could happen

in answer to Happy in a given year yes there are certain teams you would not meet - which would make the competition smaller easier to televise and manage - it would be unlikely that you would get the same ranking 2 years running

Furthermore given the nature of the rugby - it is likely that there would be some injury tolls during the pool matches which may or maynot work in the weaker teams favour - a game of rugby between Samoa and the Brumbies would not hold much instrest to a rugby audience (the kid enjoys Aus teams racking up high scores but most of the rest of don't unless it is the force playing !)
    but in the future with a bit of money in the Samoan Rugby Account it could be a very different story

Last edited by Thequeerone; 12-02-07 at 13:25.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Potentially, depends how firm the organisors where in setting it up in not bowing to individual motives from countries.
    One way would be to rank each pool 1-10 and swap all the (hypothetically) even numbered teams (ie for Tahs supporters that's 2,4,6,8,10 ) perhaps every year. Makes troubles for fixturing etc but the NH seem to be able to manage. Either that or go to two divisions With say last three of Pool A relegated each year?
    Many ways but a desire to expand and develop new markets is required first.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It is good to dream, and as you say, no one would have dreamed of a super 14 team over here 10yrs ago, now we have it...The above would be an expensive logistical nightmare, but a fantastic concept never the less....Ok, lets dream a little then...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    well I'm totally against relegation, and on the basis that you might not play certain opposition for "years" I'd be against this type of expansion as well.

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    What do you suggest then - that doesn't involve our lads spending 3 months in air between here sth africa, fiji and new zealand - would make the Eagles look like poofs complaining about going to Melbourne

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    well I'm not the one who has to come up with an alternative as I'm not the one proposing the changes.

But the way I see it ... the problem is with admitting Argentina/Pacific Islands/Japan etc means more travelling, thus means a more expensive season for franchises involved, and will also mean our ticket prices will go up while potentially watching less games. Yes I know now Perth has a team it sounds like I'm not keen for any more. Not true - we were directly under their flight path to south africa and back, it made economic sense. This is the basis for my argument below..

You can't increase the length of the season or it will cut into the Tri-Nations and northern hemisphere touring time. So you need to squeeze more teams into the same current S14 season, which unless you use the above proposal I doubt is possible.

If you do allow even the S14 to go to S16, maybe the Tri-Nations could expand into the 5 or 6 Nations which again will mean a more expensive competition and possibly less rugby played in some locations (depending on how the draws and results end up). If the red's never make the finals and the Force regularly make the finals - wouldn't you think a Red's supporter might feel a little ripped off, being in the same country and not being able to see the Force play them in Perth?

I think things should stay as they are for the time being, to let the two new teams settle in, sponsorship dollar's even out and S.A. rugby fix up their complete shabble that is their SARFU.

It may even be that due to the vast distances between countries, and vast difference in private dollars available in each country that the S16 will never be. The whole idea might just be too expensive to be viable.

Last edited by Happy; 12-02-07 at 14:06.

vCash
    Careful what you wish for is an old saying, but true. If you read Fraser Neill's comments he likes the idea of them pooling with The Reds, Kiwis & Vics.
    Meaning he'd like our mob to pool with SA, Japan & the Argies. Heaps more Frequent flyer points for the boys but not so many attractive matches in Perth, falling revenues, less exposure for sponsors and so it goes.

The upside is.......well I can't actually think of any except for just about everyone bar The Force. WA sporting teams have a history of getting shafted. Once the boys start winning the honeymoon will be well and truly over and the pineapples will be out anyway. We don't need this type of deal as well.

Didn't see that before I posted Mr Jihad. But obviously I agree with you

Last edited by shasta; 12-02-07 at 14:16. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast