Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rugby league Reds are back, on war footing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

Back in the mid 90's when the Western Reds got started, they got royally screwed by the NSWRL. The Western Reds were required to pay for ALL teams air fares to Perth and all teams accommodation in Perth. Consequently they were $4 Million Dollars in Debt after 2 years and were ready to fold, and then along came Super League with their bucket full of money. No more Debt. Super League Died and the NRL killed off the Reds quicker then you can say "who was that masked man?"
    Well that's almost right X, but not quite. The Reds were pretty, let's say liberal, with the facts in their submission to gain entry to the ARL. They 'overestimated' funding, sponsorship, player registration numbers, junior development...................... they may have even suggested they could stand the visitors' expenses, not sure. They were basically behind the 8-ball from day 1.

The impact of the travel expenses is the main thing that leads me to doubt the sustainability of this JB Cup venture. But I'll go to watch and be glad to be proved wrong if they can make a go of it.

The biggest shame in the whole sorry saga was the fact that the Junior Reds were actually going VERY well when they were wound-up. The 1997 Reds U-17's played the GF against the Broncos at Lang Park and only just lost after beating Canberra in Canberra in the Semi. That with a squad of 22 of which 17 were West Aussies.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well that's almost right X, but not quite. The Reds were pretty, let's say liberal, with the facts in their submission to gain entry to the ARL. They 'overestimated' funding, sponsorship, player registration numbers, junior development...................... they may have even suggested they could stand the visitors' expenses, not sure. They were basically behind the 8-ball from day 1.
    Forgive me mate - it was the best I could come up with at short notice.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    As local League virtually never features in ANY form of media in Western Australia, currently has no National or International presence in Western Australia and has a grand expansion plan of going into the second tier Jim Beam Cup, [/QUOTE]

It's actually 3 rd tier. The VB Premiership is above Jim Beam Cup. The might y Newtown Jets are still above what teh WA Reds will play. Oh the days of the Jets, still one of the coolest sporting brands ever.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I stand corrected and supported in the same act
    Agreed re the Jets too

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I have changed my avatar to tommy rudonikis (I think that's how you spell it) for a month in memory of the Jets. 15 year anniversary since ruthlessly tossed out of first grade in 2008, remembered in loving memory (1908-1983)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Something isn't adding up in your maths there mate

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yes that's right, I slipped into my Delorian time machine and was back in 1997 for a moment, strangely the internet was up and running although it was mighty slow, so slow in fact it took ten years for my post to actually come up, hence 15 years has turned into the 25th anniversary

Or I could just own up to playing in the front row?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Go the latter haha

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmaag View Post
    I have changed my avatar to tommy rudonikis (I think that's how you spell it)
    It's spelt Raudonikis.

Best wishes,
    Spelling/Grammar Nazi

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    go easy on him - did you spot the proper use of an apostrophe! Not bad for a front rower!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmaag View Post
    The might y Newtown Jets are still above what the WA Reds will play. Oh the days of the Jets, still one of the coolest sporting brands ever.
    The Mighty Newtown Jets, which became the Newtwon/Campbelltown Jets when they move to the South West, shortly after their demise, Western Suburbs moved form Leicharrt to Campbelltown and then merged with Balamin Tigers to have what is today known as Wests Tigers..........

Spaeking of things Jets, I saw The Screaming Jets at the Civic on Saturday Night............rock on!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Forgive me mate - it was the best I could come up with at short notice.

vCash

WA Reds support Rabbitohs bid

Media Statement 14 February 2008

After successful meetings this week with Souths Rabbitohs CEO, Shane Richardson and Peter Holmes a Court, the WA Rugby League has pledged its full support for the Club to play competition games here in Perth from 2009, WA Reds Chairman, Geoff Baldwin, confirmed today.

It is extremely important that the Rabbitohs initiative assisted rather than undermined our work in re-establishing a Perth based team and, after meetings with Peter and Shane over the past few weeks we are now confident that the outcome will be mutually beneficial, Mr Baldwin said.

“The proposal is for South Sydney to play two consecutive competition games here for five years from 2009 and we are now looking at including this in our WA Reds membership package along with several other joint initiatives.

“The South Sydney Perth Rugby League Festival is certainly an initiative we see as positive for the progression of our code in Western Australia.

"We also see this as a huge bonus for our WA reds sponsors and believe it will assist us in gaining additional corporate support for our code in WA.

“Souths have agreed on the importance of nurturing Rugby League in WA and recognise the importance of working hand in hand with the WA Rugby League and the Reds.

“It has long been recognised that South Sydney Rabbitohs have an enormous support base here in WA and since Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court took a controlling interest the Club has been the entrepreneurial shining light of all Clubs in the NRL.

“For many years the WARL have been expressing to the NRL the importance of top level games being hosted in WA so it is enormously encouraging to see the South Sydney team take a leadership role in that regard.

“This year will see the WA Reds begin the journey back to the NRL via the Sydney based Jim Beam Cup competition and the prospect of a supportive partnership with South Sydney is a very positive one for the WARL.

“As Chairman of the WA Rugby League I encourage all Rugby League fans to support their game by getting behind the Reds this season and the South Rabbitohs/WA Reds in 2009.

“Fans are encouraged to catch up with the latest and to secure Season Passes for 2008 by visiting warugbyleague.com .au, Mr Baldwin said.

Media contact – Geoff Baldwin - 0413754414
    This will be great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc View Post
    sorry kalgoorlie red but look at the numbers union has more. league will never be as big as union perth they did have there chance and it didnt happen. not saying i dont like league because i was thinking of playing this year. but union is always going to be bigger. due to the expats of the uk, sa and nz. aswell as the culture we hav built up here. correct me if i wrong but a few years ago league was struggling to have a competition because of the folding of clubs ie. applecross?

Union might have more clubs, but thats proably down to the fact the demands to play the game are open even for the obese, whilst League requires people who are fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KalgoorlieRed View Post
    Union might have more clubs, but thats proably down to the fact the demands to play the game are open even for the obese, whilst League requires people who are fit.
    wow, and you were criticising someone else on a previous page about 'lack of research'.

Ive played both sports, and both are pretty different in terms of the fitness required. Rugby Union(for a forward) requires more muscle endurance for the rucks/scrums and mauls, where as league needs more cardio because you are constantly running backwards and forwards.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast