Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gits to start at 10

vCash

Gits to start at 10

Giteau a pivotal Force in backlineBy Bret Harris

January 30, 2007 AUSTRALIA utility back Matt Giteau is expected to make his debut for Western Force at five-eighth when it plays the Highlanders in the opening round of the Super 14 season in Perth on Friday night.

Giteau has spent most of his career with the Brumbies and Wallabies at inside centre, but he was successfully trialled at halfback on Australia's tour of Europe last November.

Many observers believe Giteau's best position is five-eighth and this may be the role that suits him the most at the Force.

Force has assembled a talented group of backs, but may require a player of Giteau's experience to guide them around the park.

Giteau has resisted playing five-eighth because of the responsibility of executing highly structured game plans but is more comfortable in the position when he can play instinctively.

He played five-eighth successfully in the win against Samoa in the Force's trial match in Perth on Friday and The Australian understands he is being seriously considered in that position against the Highlanders.

The features of his game were his work behind the ball, strong left-foot kicking and sniping runs.

Force's regular five-eighth last year, James Hilgendorf, missed the Samoan trial because of a groin injury, although he should be available for the Highlanders game.

The pairing of Giteau and his close friend Matt Henjak could help turn around the talented halfback's form after his disappointing season last year.

Junior Pelesasa played well at inside centre against Samoa, but the Force has the option of playing Scott Staniforth at inside centre.

Staniforth made a good fist of the position when he was moved there from the wing last season and finished the year playing in the No.12 jersey for the Wallabies against Scotland at Murrayfield.

He would form a big, powerful midfield combination with rugby league convert Ryan Cross, who is almost certain to start at outside centre.

Drew Mitchell is set to start at full back with Cameron Shepherd on one wing and Digby Ioane and the vastly improved Haig Sare competing for the other flank.

The Force's forward pack is reasonably predictable. Gareth Hardy, Brendan Cannon and Troy Takiari are expected to form the front row with captain Nathan Sharpe and Rudi Vedelago packing down in the second row.

Number eight Scott Fava and blindside flanker David Pusey are likely to form a back row combination with openside flanker Richard Brown, although David Pocock and Matt Hodgson are believed to be under serious consideration.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Blah blah blah we bought him as a 12, blah blah blah he's a world class 12, blah blah we'd never play him at anywhere but 12. I'd like to actually see a quote from someone about this...

Talk about contradictory.

Last edited by Sagerian; 30-01-07 at 06:22.

vCash
    somone put a rainbow in your weetbix sage?
    mitch will play him where he sees fit
    as i see it the backline is prety crowded at the moment and he is trying to get it to flow as best he can

vCash
    Did you want me to find Mitchell's quote saying he'd never play him anywhere but 12?

It's just amusing is all.

vCash
    do what you like
    i did read it previously but it was in retaliation to knuckles trying to tell mitch where to play his players.
    at that time i dont think they knew exactly how or where cross was going to play

but i admit it is ammusing

Last edited by RuckNMaul; 30-01-07 at 07:10. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    As I said, I'd like to see a quote from the man himself about this.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Drew Mitchell very clearly let it be known that he was coming West to play Full Back too, now he is happy to play anywhere at the back, all things change from stated positions.
    This article is only Bret Harris' opinion, not a team selection sheet.
    There could be only two factors at work if he does go to #10, Hilgendorf not being 100% and a desire not to waste Stanniforth on the Wing.
    Personally I reckon Fly Half is now Giteaus third best position, it just isn't really him and I haven't much rated his performances there compared to #12.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    mabey he can wisper in henjaks ear better at 10

sorry no more henjak bashing today

mabey it digbys turn?

vCash
    The clues that Gits (might) would play 10 have been there since December...

but him actually playing at 10 last Thursday night might well have been the best indicator yet that Giteau at pivot was in the game plan.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Stanners at 12 then?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I'd be very surprised if Giteau plays anywhere but 12. He is a creative playmaker and that would be wasted at 10. Inside centre is where we most need strike power. I'd be expecting a back line of Henjak, Hilgendorf, Giteau, Cross, Staniforth, Mitchell and Shepherd. But then I'm not John Mitchell.

vCash
    He will play 12 first game and stanner will stay on wing i bet, gits is too small for 12 i think and would be good at 10 i reck but hey who knows... we had how many injuries in first few games so it will change within a few weeks

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think that is why he is "worth" so much, his pure versatility during a match rather than being a particular world best in any one position.
    Try putting say Gregan at #12, Larkham at #9 or maybe Umaga at #10.
    May be able to see a match out but you would never consider starting them there.
    Probably for the same reason you doubt him at #12 main game is also why I doubt him at #10 size and defence. Big Forwards are far faster and fast Forwards much bigger these days and both #10 & #12 must be able to handle up to 80 minutes of bash and crash. Every day I become increasingly convinced he is best suited to the "Quarter Back/Play Maker" role of being a Scrum Half.
    Total freedom to create in attack, less responsibility and accountability in defence, the perfect package!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    I still stand by my humble opinion, that the best 20 minutes I've seen the Force play was last Thursday in the first half when Gits was at 10!

vCash
    I asked John Mitchell where Gits would play 10 or 12 - at the players day - he just laughed and shook his head and continued signing stuff (wouldn't like to play poker with him !) however there is one part of his article last Sunday I will transcribe

"A key ingredient to this team's success will be the delivery by our nine and 10.
    This year the'ill have to take responsibility, work in tandem, dictate play and drive the team around the paddock"

Love Hilgendorf - but having whatched Gitts bark a few orders at some of the backline players at the Samoan game - and they listened - am guessing that he is stuck with 10 for a while - guess we all have to earn our bucks somehow !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast