Thread: Glimmer of hope for Sailor

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Glimmer of hope for Sailor

Glimmer of hope for Sailor

By David Beniuk
    January 25, 2007

BANNED rugby star Wendell Sailor will check if he has any fresh hope of a reduced penalty after world anti-doping authority chiefs raised the possibility of smaller bans for lesser drug offences.

Dick Pound, the chairman of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), yesterday said he would like to see bans longer than the current mandatory two years for "systematic cheats" but also the possibility of lesser punishments for those who test positive accidentally.

On top of that, WADA director general David Howman said while the minimum two-year minimum ban would continue to apply for "serious" doping substances such as EPO and steroids, more lenient sanctions could be possible for substances such as cannabis and some stimulants.

"We are trying not to weaken our stance, but we feel a bit awkward imposing a two-year ban on someone who, when all is said and done, has not been doping," said Pound when discussing a WADA review at a conference in Switzerland.

Former Wallabies Sailor received a two-year ban after testing positive to the stimulant cocaine following a Super 14 match for the NSW Waratahs against the Brumbies last year and withdrew an appeal against his ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in December.

Told about the WADA officials' comments today, Sailor expressed disbelief.

"Now they are?" said Sailor.

"Can you make sure that I'm not standing somewhere because I'll probably hit the roof in a moment."

The dual international wing - who still has 14 months to run on his ban - will investigate his options in light of the comments, but the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) said today he could not expect any appeal hearing to consider possible changes to the code in the future - even if they had been flagged publicly by Pound and Howman.

"That (WADA) review will not effect athletes in Australia who are currently serving a sanction for an anti-doping rule violation," ASADA said in a statement.

A WADA spokesperson confirmed that Sailor could change his mind and re-mount an appeal to the CAS if he wished.

Sailor wasn't sure he had the stomach for another bitter legal wrangle.

"I'd have to have a look at it, I'd have to talk to my lawyer," he said.

"At the moment it could be just talk.

"This is the first year that I haven't done my pre-season so it starts to hit home a bit now, so I'd have to have a look at it but I just know last year (I) was bashing my head up against a brick wall.

"You can only fight so much and it just drains you and that's what it was doing to me and my family so I'd have to have a serious think about it.

"We presented our case ... and we just got the door shut in our face, at the end of the day you can only take so much."

ASADA said Pound's and Howman's comments were made in the context of the WADA review which would not be finalised until November.

"In light of recent claims that the international drug trade in sports drugs ... is now bigger than that of heroin, cocaine and cannabis, now more than ever it is imperative to review laws that govern drugs in sport," ASADA said.

AAP

Australian Rugby maintains strong stance on drugs

January 24, 2007 - 3:22pm
    Story by: ARU

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) today reaffirmed its strong position on anti-doping in rugby and will continue to follow the protocols set by the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA).

The ARU condemns the use of performance enhancing drugs and abides by the WADA's Prohibited Substance List and testing protocols.

The ARU, as part of the International Rugby Board, was one of the first sporting bodies in Australia to become a signatory to WADA in 2004 and has spent considerable resources on ensuring the game in Australia is drug-free and that all players are fully educated and informed.

The ARU has contracted ASADA to conduct its anti-doping program including testing and education sessions for its players.

The Wallabies, all Australian Super 14 teams, the Australian U21s, Australian U19s, Australian Sevens, and the State Academy teams as well as the teams involved in the National Under 16 Championship, Australian Schools Championship and National Womens Championship are involved in this program on an ongoing basis.

Teams in the new Australian Rugby Championship, due to commence in August this year, will also be involved in the ARU's anti-doping programs.

ARU Managing Director & CEO Gary Flowers said the ARU had maintained a strong anti-doping stance for a number of years which would not be softened.

“The ARU's policy on drug-use has proved effective before and for the integrity of the sport will not be watered down,” he said.

“Our players are role models to all young rugby players and drugs in our code will not be tolerated.”

“The use of any drug is contrary to the ethical concepts of sportsmanship and fair play, and is potentially harmful to an individual's health.”

“This isn't a matter of just trying to catch drug cheats, it's also about educating our players of all levels on the dangers of drug-use.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    .... no wendell, no wendell,no wendell .........NO!

vCash
    dancing with the stars, celebrity survivor, ect. thats all wendell will be doing for the next few years!