Thread: Gob Smacking

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Gob Smacking

Just going on from the quote from the ABC Sport article re the Samoa match:

Nathan Sharpe said-
    "They [Manu Samoa] are renowned for their big hit and I know a lot of guys will be reaching for their mouth guards tomorrow night before we run out."

Is that just a turn of phrase or do some of these pro fellas actually play without mouth guards????
    At school I know we weren't allowed on the pitch without one and, once you were used to it, felt naked without one too. I only ever used to take mine out at half time or taking a kick at goals and that was as captain too (maybe that's why no one ever did the right thing.....kidding )
    If true rather than banter, I find it amazing that they would be prepared to play without one.
    Certainly I have noticed plenty who do wear them in TV footage but pardon the pun, I'm gob smacked!
    Head gear was only just starting to trickle onto the scene (mainly only if you were returning from concussion) back then too but they tell me it is a similar experience, once you are used to wearing one you feel vulnerable tackling without one?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I have always found headgear too stifling, as i sweat watching sport, let alone actually participating in it, but i would always wear a mouthguard cause it can get nasty in the frontrow and every now and then you`d cop a fist to the jaw (or knee)...
    Back in my day we weren`t even allowed to use shoulder pads at all, unless you had a medical clearance...even then they had to be built into the shirt, not loose fitting at all...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Surely Gregan doesn't wear a mouthguard.....how could talk that much with one in???

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Dunno about rugby, but in hockey I know that a heck of a lot of oldies (+30 ) don't wear mouthguards because when they were young it wasn't a requirement.
    Nowadays yeah, can't go on the field without one.

Hockey balls and wooden sticks can do some pretty awesome damage too!

Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    Surely Gregan doesn't wear a mouthguard.....how could talk that much with one in???

Reminds me of something,
    (George talking to ref)
    Lonzy: "Yeah you tell him Georgie"
    Random guy infront of us: "Oh and he will too!"

Ah maybe not so funny... had to be there

I want to be unique - just like everybody else!

vCash
    hahaha I was there .. it was hilarious!!! hillllllllerious!!!! mind you wasnt I underage drinking at that game? or was it a different one I know one of em I was!!! remember I was a day off! haha awww I love ma little georgie boy

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I always believed that the use of a mouthguard was a good defence when pulled up by the ref...

"But sir.....I thought he was royalty and I called him a count"