Tajhon steamed up for Kiwi chance

Written by Jamie Troughton : Bay of Plenty Times
Thursday, 14 September 2006

THERE'S a lot of rugby to be played in the meantime but Tajhon Mailata could cap a unique rise through the rugby ranks sometime next year.

Mailata has been signed on a two-year contract with Bay of Plenty, with an option for another year, and has been named at centre for Saturday's match with Counties-Manukau.

The 20-year-old Western Force back shifted back to New Zealand last week after eight years in Australia and to cap the hectic move, was on the bench for the Steamers against Taranaki at the weekend.

He's been recruited from Australia with impressive pedigree, having represented Australian Schools, Australian under-19 and for the past two years, the Australian Colts side.

But there's no doubt where the Auckland-born, Turangi-raised fullback's loyalties ultimately lie - and as he doesn't turn 21 until January, there's a chance he could become the first player to play for both Australian and New Zealand Colts sides.

"It's always been an aspiration to be an All Black," Mailata said. "When I went to Aussie, Mum told me it could also be awesome to play against the All Blacks, but after a while I knew I wanted to come home.

"If you have a look at most of the Australian school and age-group teams, three-quarters of them are Kiwis who were born or raised in Australia anyway. It was fine to play for Australia - but I just needed to come home and play."

Mailata, whose father is Samoan and mother is Maori, first came to the attention of New Zealand scouts at the 2004 under-19 world cup. He was highly rated by national coach Aussie McLean and the Canterbury union came within a few days of signing him before he was snapped up by the Force.

But the lure of coming home was always strong so when his contract finished with the new Perth-based Super 14 franchise, he got his agent to make some calls.

Former All Blacks midfielder Mark Robinson has just been appointed as NZRU talent identification manager and he was quick to grab the young Australian star and steer him Bay of Plenty's way.

"I wanted to come home to play rugby and I didn't mind if it was club rugby or anything - I wouldn't have minded starting over," Mailata said. "Then about two weeks ago, my agent rang and said Bay of Plenty wanted me ... I caught the next plane over."

He arrived just in time to be fitness tested and train with the Steamers. Last week's game was the last opportunity for new signings to be eligible to play in the second round of the competition.

Despite the Australian Rugby Union playing games with his clearance, it came through just in time and now he's eyeing an encouraging future, especially with midfield and fullback spaces in the Chiefs available at the end of the year.

"It's good to be back. I'm still trying to adjust to the weather but I'll get there. It's a great opportunity and I'll just take it as it comes."