Thread: Scottish Rugby launches RWC feasibility study

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Scottish Rugby launches RWC feasibility study

Personally I think they would be better served going all out for 2019 as Japan must now be ragging hot favourites to get 2015 however, good on them for thinking about it.
    To be the main partner in a co-host arrangement I would think that they would want to have two Pools which opens up some concerns with stadia.
    After the 67,500 seat Murrayfield the next biggest stadia are:
    Celtic Park (Celtic FC), Glasgow 60,506; Hampden Park (Queens Park FC), Glasgow 50,670; Ibrox Stadium (Rangers FC), Glasgow 50,420 and Pittodrie Stadium (Aberdeen FC), Aberdeen 22,200.
    The rest are below 20k seats.
    Not sure how the relationship is between Union and Football in Scotland, would there be the ability to use FC grounds?
    Apart from partnering with the Home Nations, with IRB support, they could do worse than allowing Romania (Stadionul Lia Manoliu, Bucharest 60,120) or Georgia (Boris Paichadze Stadium, Tbilisi 55,000) get in on the act with a couple of games, if not a pool each or between them.
    Will be interesting to watch it all unfold over the next couple of years.

Scottish Rugby launches RWC feasibility study

27 Dec 2006, www.scrum.com

The Scottish Rugby Union have confirmed a feasibility study will be carried out to assess the country's ability to co-host the 2015 World Cup.

A steering group - which met for the first time last month - will decide whether Scotland should bid for the event.

The body is chaired by Event Scotland and features representatives from the SRU, the Scottish Executive, Scottish Enterprise, Edinburgh city council, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau and sportscotland.

The study will cover areas such as the cost of making an application, the bid structure, the ability to meet the criteria and the benefits of staging the competition.

Issues such as infrastructure, funding and the potential for the involvement of other home unions will also be considered.

A statement from the SRU read: "The steering group is expected to make its recommendations to Scottish Rugby and Scottish ministers in the summer of 2007.

"Conducting the feasibility study demonstrates Scotland's ambition to bid for and stage major international events."

The Scots would face competition from Japan, who have announced their intention to bid after narrowly losing out to New Zealand in the race for the 2011 tournament.

Scotland's chances were boosted by a successful Under-21 World Championship in the country in 2004.

International Rugby Board bosses expressed delight at the event, which saw attendances increase by more than a third on the previous tournament in England.

Murrayfield will be the venue for Scotland's games against New Zealand and Romania at next year's World Cup, which is mainly being held in France.

The Edinburgh stadium also staged World Cup clashes in 1991, when England were the chief hosts, and in 1999 when Glasgow's Hampden Park and Netherdale in Galashiels were also used as the tournament was based in Wales.

Event Scotland has been involved in Glasgow's ongoing bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games and the successful application to stage the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles in the same year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Good on them for having a dip. I like the tie in with Romania and Georgia.
    The Scots need all the support we can muster. They are the forgotten nation in the northern hemisphere. Mind you, all there own work. They have been shite for a long time, but showing signs of improvement. Being half Scottish i have a soft spot for a kilt and bagpipe. It would be a brave decision by the IRB.
    Its a long way into the future, but anything can happen and they dont strike me as chokers?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Not sure on the official relationship between the SRU & SFA but St Johnstone's home ground (in Perth!) has been used for a few rugby matches at district & A international level.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Hydrangea
    They are the forgotten nation in the northern hemisphere. Mind you, all there own work. They have been shite for a long time, but showing signs of improvement.
    Oi!!! Forgotten nation my arse, come along to a decent six nations match with Scotland on our home territory (Murrayfield) and you'll never forget it.

Granted our past form has left something to be desired but more recently things tend to be on the up and i look forward to a good showing at the Six Nations. Particularly against the Auld Enemy (England) next week.

Back to the stadiums, i'm sure for a large scale international event the football stadiums would be utilised as well.

Greetings from Scotland 8)