Thread: Tate ponders code switch

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tate ponders code switch

I'm sure this will bring out the usual suspects talking down any League players in Union however, as far as players go, if we must (in the ARU's eyes) have them, then Tate is an outstanding candidate and I for one thought he was much older than 24 as he seems to have been around for ever scoring tries for the Bronco's!
    He has been outstanding at NRL, State of Origin and Test levels and would bring outstanding big match experience and hard running to any of the Australian Teams.

http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?...ompetitorID=52

Tate ponders code switch

By Peter Badel
    December 24, 2006

BRISBANE and Australia rugby league back Brent Tate will hold talks with the Australian Rugby Union in the new year as he ponders becoming the latest NRL star to switch codes.

The development comes as Wallabies coach John Connolly revealed the ARU had already fielded expressions of interest from NRL players via leading player agents.

Tate was reported last month as being ready to consider a code switch as he looked to sign the most important contract of his career.

Tate, 24, is off-contract next season and his manager, George Mimis, said the player would source opportunities in rugby before making any move to re-sign with the Broncos.

"At this point I haven't spoken with the ARU but early in the new year I'm sure we will be," Mimis said.

"Brent and I have had some conversations about it.

"Would Brent Tate consider playing rugby?

"I'd say the answer at this stage is probably yes."

Three NRL players, including one from the Bulldogs and another from Sydney Roosters, have made approaches to the ARU via their managers.

Connolly refused to confirm the identity of the players but he said the ARU had begun recruitment plans.

"We are talking to rugby league players and, yes, there are rugby league players interested," he said.

"In saying that, we will not neglect our own backyard.

Under (ARU chief executive) Gary Flowers, participation rates are up 28 per cent.

"Developing our own juniors is a priority.

"But it's a professional age and you never say no.

"We're not out to raid rugby league but if a player expresses interest and we think he's the right fit, then we'll proceed with it."

Tate said after winning the Tri-Nations title with Australia last month that he was curious about rugby.

"I have next year at the Broncos and I'm happy there but I'd certainly be open to joining rugby," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He is hell good, I would really like to see him switch to Union. He is the guy that wears that neck brace yeah? Great player! Come to the dark side, we have money (talking about the Force by the way)

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I agree he is a talented player, but he does a lot of off the ball "niggle" that I dont like.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I'm sure he is a class player... But does union really need him? I think that the ARU slows the production of home grown players by bringing in imports that don't really work. Just think if Rogers hadn't come across. SNK would have been leaps and bounds ahead of where he is, it seems to me that we keep over looking talent within rugby ranks that is superior to what we are importing, and in doing so stifling their development.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.