This sounds like a great initiative which I'm sure (hope) that Rugby WA and the Force will follow with interest.
With a relatively high number of Country Origin players in the Force Squad from around Australia, surely some of them would be interested in giving a hand to their WA peers?
The following names come to mind for starters:

Richard Brown, Julia Creek Qld
Scott Fava, Kiama NSW
Pat O'Connor, Harlin Qld
Zander Peden, Parkes NSW
Angus Scott, Cootamundra NSW
Nathan Sharpe, Wagga Wagga NSW
Scott Staniforth, West Wyalong NSW
Brett Stapleton, Glenn Innes NSW
AJ Whalley, Grafton NSW

Boys from the bush

from www.sydneyunirugby.com.au

Two of Sydney University Football Club’s finest have offered their time and expertise to assist young players from country NSW achieve their aims in rugby union.

Wallaby number eight David Lyons and Australia A second-rower Will Caldwell have put their weight behind two NSW Rugby Union initiatives to assist young players from the country.

Lyons, who hails from Molong in the central west of NSW, is the patron of a scheme that will see talented youngsters attend his alma mater Hurlstone Agricultural College.

NSWRU chief executive Fraser Neil says up to 10 places at the selective state boarding high school will be made available each year to country players who meet academic and rugby criteria, in a deal that is set to run until at least the end of 2010.

Part of the agreement will see the NSW Waratahs fit out a gymnasium and training facility on school grounds at Glenfield in Sydney’s south-west, while Waratah Academy coaching staff will also have regular face-to-face contact with players and coaches at the school.

“This program will provide one of NSW’s top agricultural institutions with a truly elite rugby program, and will also secure the Waratahs better access to one of Australia’s great sporting nurseries, Neill said.

“David Lyons blazed a trail for country kids with rugby aspirations at Hurlstone Ag and it’s a measure of the esteem in which he holds the school that he’s agreed to be patron of the program.”

Waratah and Wallaby backrower Lyons, who captained the Australian Schoolboys out of Hurlstone in 1998, said he was honoured when asked by the school to be the face of the new program.

“It’s definitely a good thing for country kids and for the school itself,” Lyons said. “Hurlstone Ag has a reputation for excellence both in sport and academics and this program will just enhance that further. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and I think that those who are part of the program will as well.”

Lyons made a return to the Test arena during the Wallabies recent Spring tour of Europe after missing 18 months overcoming injuries.

Meanwhile, Will Caldwell, who hails from Young, will head bush this week as part of a NSWRU push to bring smiles to the faces of country youngsters affected by the drought.

Forbes, Nyngan and Narrabri will play host to coaching and skills clinics on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday respectively, with Caldwell taking time out from pre-season training to be guest of honour at Forbes Rugby Club on Monday.

Caldwell said he was looking forward to getting back to the country. “Apart from quick visits home I don’t get out to the country nearly as often as I’d like,” Caldwell said. “However like every other country person in the city I realise just how tough things are for people in the bush at the minute. Hopefully these clinics can do a little bit towards taking peoples minds off things, if only for an afternoon.”

Caldwell is recovering from a badly broken arm which he injured in October playing for the Prime Minister’s XV against Japan.

Neill said the aim of the clinics was to provide a fun rugby experience for primary-school-aged children, with interactive games, group skills and drills sessions and touch football all planned.

Graham Croker