Thread: Force Front Row

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Force Front Row

Force pluck big prop in major coup
    14th December 2006, 8:15 WST

Go ahead. Call him chicken. He’s only 120kg of confrontational Maori muscle.

Western Force players took two minutes flat last month to note the syllabic similarity to the Japanese teriyaki dish and nickname their newest teammate Troy “Chicken” Takiari.

Opponents, though, will be wiser to refrain from any references to poultry. Takiari is impatient to make a statement about his front-row prowess after spending most of the past Super 14 season on the injury list, particularly with the Australian selectors sifting through the nation’s props in search of those capable of holding their own in Test rugby.

The Force acquired Takiari, 28, from the NSW Waratahs after cutting loose tighthead Dave Fitter, who had the size but not the mobility desired by coach John Mitchell.

Takiari is not only faster around the field but, at 191cm, is tall for a prop which could cause problems for front-row opponents.

“It’s now an advantage to have height on the tighthead side,” explained the New Zealand-born Takiari, citing 190cm All Black enforcer Carl Hayman as an example.

“But when I started out I was considered to be too tall for a prop, so much so I used to play basketball as my second sport.”

The Takiari family moved to Australia when Troy was 10 and he spent his teenage years as a rangy loose forward. Father Mohi, who captained an ACT side in the 1980s that included David Campese and Ricky Stuart, eventually came to the conclusion his son’s future as a professional lay in the front row.

Takiari started out with the Brumbies’ development side and then got a contract to play for Hawick in the Scottish Borders competition. The Waratahs learnt of his ability and signed him for the 2006 Super 14 campaign as a backup for Al Baxter and Matt Dunning.

He made two appearances before hurting a leg in a vigorous training drill in South Africa in February.

On the lookout for front-row grunt, Mitchell liked what he had heard about Takiari and offered him a two-year deal to move to Perth where he will compete with Angus Scott and possibly Tai McIsaac for a tighthead berth.

DAVE HUGHES
    From the West Australian.

I just thought that, in the absence of any interesting news (unless you could the self-indulgent protestations of ex-league stars), a speculative conversation should start. How will the Force front-row go in 2007. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? What will happen if Angus and Troy cop injuries?

Also I don't suppose any of the Force players do any form of blogging anyone knows about (kind of like Ben Tune through the SMH website)?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    sounds like a big unit.......I hope he goes well...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah I hope he comes through with the goods, but I don't know born in New Zealand.......

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    The forwards were handy last year. They need to be on song to get the rest of the crew going. Has he got a bit of mongruel in him?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing