Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Article up sometime today - Latest on new stadium

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    Thank Egan......we wait with bated breath.....

from http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
    Q] From Steve Gearhart: “Where does the term baited breath come from, as in: ‘I am waiting with baited breath for your answer’?”
    [A] The correct spelling is actually bated breath but it’s so common these days to see it written as baited breath that there’s every chance it will soon become the usual form, to the disgust of conservative speakers and the confusion of dictionary writers. Examples in newspapers and magazines are legion; this one appeared in the Daily Mirror on 12 April 2003: “She hasn’t responded yet but Michael is waiting with baited breath”.
    It’s easy to mock, but there’s a real problem here. Bated and baited sound the same and we no longer use bated (let alone the verb to bate), outside this one set phrase, which has become an idiom. Confusion is almost inevitable. Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it has the meaning “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing through terror, awe, extreme anticipation, or anxiety.
    Shakespeare is the first writer known to use it, in The Merchant of Venice: “Shall I bend low and, in a bondman’s key, / With bated breath and whisp’ring humbleness, / Say this ...”. Nearly three centuries later, Mark Twain employed it in Tom Sawyer: “Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale”.
    For those who know the older spelling or who stop to consider the matter, baited breath evokes an incongruous image, which Geoffrey Taylor humorously (and consciously) captured in verse in his poem Cruel Clever Cat:
    Sally, having swallowed cheese,
    Directs down holes the scented breeze,
    Enticing thus with baited breath
    Nice mice to an untimely death.
    [I’m indebted to Rainer Thonnes for telling me about this little ditty, which appears in an anthology called Catscript, edited by Marie Angel. However, it was first published in 1933 in a limited edition of Geoffrey Taylor’s poems entitled A Dash of Garlic.]

Who is the spelling Nazi now???????????

I stand corrected;you are the master,I am just the bater

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    and a master at it too I might add

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    One step closer, the problem still lies with the Government though, the money will come from them and at the end of the day even if it is recommended it will only be financed if it suits their agenda at the time.

It may take some heavy duty lobbying to get it approved.

Just happy to be here

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaunmarn
    S0 35 thousand ay? I'm ok with that
    I'm ok if we can get a Tri-Nations match with that capacity ... if we still get told "no way", then I'm not happy with it!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I think the tri-nations games would still be at Subi Oval or the new mega-stadium for AFL. There was a quote from a couple of months ago that there'd need to be 60,000+ capacity for a Bledisloe Cup. So it'd be Super 14 at the 35,000 stadium & tri-nations at the bigger stadium.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Sunday Times reported on the article I wrote about last week.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    This article form the West sort of go against the grain a little - Glory off to the WACA?

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=16516

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player
    vCash
    The WACA move is from potential businessman Tony Sage. Who is indeed looking to go to the WACA. But doesn't officially own the Glory.

the current FFA administration are supporting the 35,000 stadium.

vCash
    I am a bit slow, will the force move to Members Equity stadium when its ready?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Depends if they can convince the Major Stadia Taskforce that they need a 35,000 seat stadium. And whether the government acts on what the taskforce suggests to do.

vCash
    A mate of mine was talking to the membership management the other day and got onto the subject of the stadium. While the guy would not reveal too much he said that there was going to be a major announcement made in regards to the stadium situation in March... What that announcement will be is anyones guess.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incompetent isn't the right word... But its the first one that comes to mind.
    -- Chuck Palahniuk.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    While the guy would not reveal too much he said that there was going to be a major announcement made in regards to the stadium situation in March... What that announcement will be is anyones guess.
    That's public knowledge. That the Major Stadia Taskforce will be handing down their recommendations in March...

vCash
    So we are still where we have been for the last 12 months, lots of public knowledge and supposition, but no answers...

We have all always known that an MES upgrade is the only suitable solution for the Force - based on this alone - I reckon it will happen.

vCash
    BTW - Austadiums have a big "What's going on in your city?" banner - click Perth, and they plenty of Crickey, Basketball and AFL - where's all the Rugby?

Samoa play Force week after next, we have Super14 and Fiji -v- Wallabies a little later? Lift ya game Egan !

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    BTW - Austadiums have a big "What's going on in your city?" banner - click Perth, and they plenty of Crickey, Basketball and AFL - where's all the Rugby?

Samoa play Force week after next, we have Super14 and Fiji -v- Wallabies a little later? Lift ya game Egan !
    Email the owner info@austadiums.com

I advise nobody to go onto the forums...anti Unionites exist on that program.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast