Thread: Red Hot Chilliboy

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Red Hot Chilliboy

It's a shame really that this has to come under the banner of a "Black thing" as I am sure that Chilliboy deserves it on his own merits.
    What little I have seen of him he appears an awesome talent and has certainly shown himself as the heir apparent to Smits jersey, if not his Captaincy.
    It must be a very proud day for Jon too.
    I hope he does well, except against Australia....

Black prodigy leads Boks

From correspondents in Johannesburg/ FoxSports
    November 30, 2006

CHILLIBOY Ralepelle will make history on Sunday when he becomes the first black player to lead a senior South Africa rugby team.

Ralepelle, 20, who has captained the South Africa under-19 and under-21 sides to world titles, replaces Jon Smit both as hooker and skipper when he leads out a Springbok XV against a World XV in South Africa's final match of the season-ending, northern hemisphere tour.

Smit, who has returned home along with several other players following the three-Test (northern) autumn series, has been a crucial factor in Ralepelle's rise to prominence, having paid part of his school fees at the prestigious Pretoria Boys High where Smit also studied.

"(Smit) had a lot to do with my upbringing as a schoolboy and he has helped me a lot," Ralepelle said earlier this year.

"He was always there for me. Any fees or whatever my parents couldn't afford, he was only too willing to help.

"He is a big brother, friend, captain and a great leader and mentor. Since then our relationship has grown immense," added Ralepelle, whose real first name is Mahlatse ('The blessed one' in Sotho) but took on the name given to him by his grandfather.

It will be Ralepelle's first start for the national team having had only limited game time from the bench up to now.

The match is not an official Test, which means Ralepelle will not win a cap or go down in the history books as a Bok captain alongside Smit, who has led South Africa a record 38 times.

The Springboks' big find, from matches with Ireland and England this month, 19-year-old Francois Steyn, will wear the No.10 jersey. His halfback partner will be Ruan Pienaar.

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I agree it's a shame that the focus appears to be on the 'quaintness' of him being black rather than him leading his country. Good on him though.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    and he's only 20 ... wow!!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    That is total bullshit! The guy has hardly played an provincial rugby and now he comes into the national side for the first time leading the side into it's centenary match! That is a total outrage! The politics behind SA rugby are just going to push him into the side and watch by World Cup 07 he will be captain... then it will be bye, bye South African rugby....I don't mind him playing because of Smit's absence but to put him as captain, bullshit...

I understand that even John himself believes that Chilliboy will be a great player in a few years time I just think it is wrong that his first test he is captain, it is a bit too far. I do smell a rat in SA rugby...

Last edited by Shaun; 30-11-06 at 17:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Life is like a tapestry Shaurnman. If i have respect for any Yarpie player, it is Smit. Try looking on the bright side of life. It could be worse... your not a Pom!

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Does not change the fact it is wrong to be captain in your first cap...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like yet another reason to get yourself a Wallabies jersey for Christmas like many of your fellow expat countrymen Shaun?
    Things will never return to how you would like them in SA Rugby, you can rest assured of that.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was tempted the other day; but Bokke1 and I have struck a deal we will support the boks through the World Cup, if Australia do better than them we will go together and buy ourselves a Wallabies jersey and hang our heads in shame...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Around the one fifty mark I believe mate, better start saving the pocket money
    Seriously mate, there is no shame in embracing your new home.
    As I have written elsewhere, I have a Pommy mate (in his 40's I think and had served his country of birth) who arrived in late 2004.
    He supported Australia through the last Ashes in England and was last night proudly sporting his new design Wallabies jersey behind the bar where he works.
    To paraphrase his answer to me when I asked why he said "I have chosen to make this country my home for the rest of my days, why wouldn't I?"
    He is getting his citizenship next Australia Day.
    Each to their own, but food for thought perhaps?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm a citizen, dual citizen... been here since 2002. But it is so much fun supporting a diffrent team to most of your mates it makes for good competition. Also I still feel that the Boks are my team, at least for now. Don't get me wrong a have a soft spot for the Wallabies and in a short while will make the change all depending on a few decisions that will be made by SA rugby soon, as well as the outcome of the WC.