Thread: Wayne Goldmith joins Rugby WA as HPU Manager

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Wayne Goldmith joins Rugby WA as HPU Manager

Respected Sports Professional Joins RugbyWA

Tuesday, November 28, 2006
    RugbyWA

Respected Australian sports professional Wayne Goldsmith has agreed to join RugbyWA as High Performance Manager.

The position will comprise the responsibilities of a team manager, including logistics and resources management, but will focus on high performance rugby.

Goldsmith comes to the Emirates Western Force from the Australian Rugby Union, where he has been the developer and driver of high performance coaching and sports science programs for the Wallabies and all of Australia's Super 14 teams.

Prior to his involvement in rugby, the 45 year old worked with Triathlon Australia where he helped athletes and coaches prepare for the 2003, 2004 and 2005 World Championships, and the 2004 Athens Olympics.

From the mid-1990s, Goldsmith played a key role at Australian Swimming, where he took on the role of Sports Science Coordinator, and was later responsible for the identification and development of athletes and coaches leading into the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

In 1996, his contribution to the sport was recognized with the Outstanding Contribution to Swimming in Australia Award, and four years later he was awarded the Eunice Gill Prize for Outstanding Contribution to Coach Education in Australia.

RugbyWA Chief Executive Peter O'Meara said he was thrilled that someone of Goldsmith's calibre had joined the organisation.

“I know it's a well used phrase these days but Wayne's appointment is a real 'value-add' for RugbyWA and the Emirates Western Force,” O'Meara said.

“He's a sports scientist who has a track record of identifying talent and improving performance at the elite level,” he said.

Goldsmith said he was excited at the opportunity of working with the Emirates Western Force, Head Coach John Mitchell and his support team.

“I enjoyed my role at the ARU but it was time for a new challenge,” Goldsmith said.

“The professional game has evolved in recent years to a lot more than just tackle and pass. It's about nutrition, strength and power training, recovery, mental skills development, and I think I can bring a cutting edge in these areas to this high performance rugby environment,” he said.

Goldsmith decided to move permanently to WA after spending time with the Emirates Western Force coaching group, reviewing the team's first season.

“Also, I have seen what the WA Sports Minister, John Kobelke, has planned for rugby, athletics, basketball and other sports at the proposed sports precinct development next to Challenge Stadium, and it's very exciting,” he said.

“It's quite visionary, and will give WA the most advanced sports science facilities in Australia.”

WA Institute of Sport Executive Director Steve Lawrence said Goldsmith was a good communicator.

“One of his strengths is his ability to explain difficult concepts in a way in which coaches and athletes will understand,” Lawrence said.

Australian Swimming Head Coach Alan Thompson said he regularly met with Goldsmith, whom he described as an ideas man, who always asks the right questions.

“He thinks outside the box. He challenges you and takes a different angle on things,” Thompson said.

Boost for WA rugby

November 28, 2006 - 2:36pm
    Story by: Sportal/ARU

Sports professional Wayne Goldsmith will join RugbyWA as its high performance manager after making the move to Western Australia.

Goldsmith has previously been involved with the Australian Rugby Union, Triathlon Australia, and Australian Swimming and has developed and driven high-performance coaching and sports science programs, helped athletes and coaches prepare for world-class meets and held a position of sports science coordinator.

He comes to Western Force after his recent involvement with the ARU where he worked closely with the Wallabies and all of Australia's Super 14 teams.

Goldsmith was naturally excited about the prospect of embarking on the new stage in his career and looked forward to working with Force coach John Mitchell.

"I enjoyed my role at the ARU but it was time for a new challenge," Goldsmith said.

"The professional game has evolved in recent years to a lot more than just tackle and pass."

"It's about nutrition, strength and power training, recovery, mental skills development, and I think I can bring a cutting edge in these areas to this high performance rugby environment."

RugbyWA chief executive Peter O'Meara welcomed Goldsmith and outlined the benefits of his appointment.

"I know it's a well used phrase these days but Wayne's appointment is a real 'value-add' for RugbyWA and the Emirates Western Force," O'Meara said.

"He's a sports scientist who has a track record of identifying talent and improving performance at the elite level."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Is he any relation to Tottie!!!!!!!

If so...good move!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!