Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Most Memorable Sporting Moment

vCash

Most Memorable Sporting Moment

So ladies and gentlemen,

I want to compile a list of great sporting moments, so whether it be rugby or tennis, what do you all think is a memorable sporting moment? try keep it with in the last 100 years

Hopefully this will aid my little project I have decided to take up thank you muchly

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

Senior Player
    vCash
    2000 NSL Grand Final in Person

the 1996 Kieran Perkins swim on TV.

As a young boy, Perkins meant the world to me.

In Rugby - John Eales goal to win the Bledisloe Cup for Australia.

In WAFL - Peel Thunder coming from 8 goals down at half time

phew, could go on and on.

I will leave it there

I love my sport!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Might need to expand a little Lonz, are we talking Australian, World, does a certain Olympics count as one or just individual events within that gathering.....
    Sorry to be picky but it may save you some sifting later on

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Ashes Series 2005 - great series ever

Man Utd amazing comeback in 99 European Cup Final

Lance Armstrong winning Tour De France after battles with cancer

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

vCash
    1.john eales bledisloe cup winning goal.
    2.being at mcg for eagles 1 point win in grand final.
    3.the crowd reaction to favas first try for the force
    4.lance armstrongs record breaking tour de france win.
    5.sam torrance put to win the 1985 ryder cup.

Last edited by slomo; 24-11-06 at 15:46.

vCash
    There's plenty of great sporting moments, but my fav one where I was there is still game 3 of the 2001 lions series. I'll never ever forget that night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Might need to expand a little Lonz, are we talking Australian, World, does a certain Olympics count as one or just individual events within that gathering.....
    Sorry to be picky but it may save you some sifting later on
    Im looking for sporting moments that are sort of Historic ie. they have been records, or close finishes, contraversy pretty much anything if its olympics Id prefer individual events

thanks heaps!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Ben Johnson on the Juice for Canada and breaking the 100m world record. What a champ.

Grant Hacket winning 1500m final with a busted lung in Greece.

Eales converting in Wellington in extra time in a Bledisloe game.

Toutai Kefu scoring last minute try v ABs in Eales last game

Steve Bradbury winning his skating medal when all the competitors fall on their asses!! {and coining a phrase as well}

Thats just a few off the top of my head.

Oh and Wallabies beating ABS in 2003 RWC Semi

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    The first I seen this thread Lonzy.

The 1980 USA Olympic Hockey team upset victory over USSR. As they went on to win the Gold medal.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would have included a fair few of the above listings however, as you probably need a few more, here's a few others to consider:

Mainly because I was there, Cathy Freemans' Gold, I don't think I will ever match that in terms of crowd noise, 110,000 people all cheering for one person...amazing!

To balance LTP's post, the 2006 Ashes Series, the even more greatest Series ever, roll on 5-Blot.

Australia II winning the America's Cup, the first win by a challenger in 130 odd years....I think? A long time anyway.....

Carl Lewis at the 1984 Olympics, Gold in the 100m, Long Jump, 200m (OR) and 4x100m (WR)....shame he was such a dick though.

Nadia Comaneci at the 1976 Olympics, Gold in the All-Around, Uneven Bars & Balance Beam, Silver in the Team Competition and Bronze in the Floor Exercise. The highlight being the first ever Olympic Gymnastic 10.0 in the Uneven Bars, followed by six more by her through the Games (3 x Beam, 4x Bars).

Nadia Comaneci at the 1979 World Championships, as quoted at GymnasticGreats.com
    "Much was expected of Nadia at the 1979 Worlds, but a bout of the flu had left her weak and thin. During compulsories she scratched her wrist and it became infected. Badly swollen, Nadia sat out apparatus after apparatus during team optionals. But when teammate Emilia Eberle fell from beam, the team needed a good performance from her to secure team gold. Nadia rose to the occasion, performing almost flawlessly. She earned a 9.95, helping her team win their first ever team gold."

The Rumble in the Jungle, Muhammad Ali v George Foreman, October 30, 1974, in Kinshasa, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of the Congo).

Shane Warne's "Ball of the Century" to Mike Gatting at Old Trafford.

Sir Garfield Sobers Maiden Test Century of 365 runs in 614 in 1958 against Pakistan, an innings record that stood for 36 years (now held by Brian Lara with 400 not out) and remains a Maiden Century Record.
    Also the first man to score the perfect "six of six" (ie thirty six runs in six deliveries) in First Class cricket in 1968 for Nottinghamshire.

That'll do for now, I'm puffed!

Last edited by Burgs; 03-01-07 at 07:25.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Something to consider;
    Since the Super 12 season of 2002 the Crusaders have played 57 table matches.
    Of these games they have won all but 11, not to mention taking to major premiership 3 of the last 5 years.

I'm just remembering the noise at Subi Oval that fateful night the try which would have won the game was run over, and the outrage at it's disallowance. Did I mention since 2002 the crusaders have played 57 games have had only one draw.

Steelers Wheel, Stuck In The Middle With You:
    A tribute to the never ending sufferances of hookers.

'Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am... Stuck in the middle with you.'

vCash
    Burgs, you seem to rate the 16 year old girl in tights pretty high up there!

I was 16 than and remember her performance well. She was a true champion. The olymics just aren't what they used to be.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Larry, one for excellence, one for true guts. I was only two at the time of the 10.0, but grew up hearing about both through the years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Another couple may be another "good Scotch boy", Luc Longley, being drafted into the NBA and the Womens team winning the Basketball World Cup last year.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scbeaver
    Something to consider;
    I'm just remembering the noise at Subi Oval that fateful night the try which would have won the game was run over, and the outrage at it's disallowance.
    best/worst memory last year. me and 4 of my mates decided we would dress up for the game. when getting to the gate we were getting alot of looks from the crusaders supporters as we were fully blue. we painted ourselves blue. from head to toe. blue hair the works. now since it wasnt a capacidy crowd we chose to sit in wiht the crusaders supporters behind the goals at the city end. now they had been abusing us all game. then when hage sare crossed. we amazingly silence the vocal supporters and starting rubbing it. all that shit. then disallowed we quickly retreated back to our seats. then started abusing the sh%@ out of the ref. est rugby game ever

Last edited by pruc; 03-01-07 at 09:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast